Shortness of breath even when im not having an anxiety attack!

Posted , 234 users are following.

Hello I'm a 32 year old female,I have been having anxiety and some depression for about four years now!!so I understand everything that everybody on here is going through!!!!I started back on my meds almost 3 weeks ago....I can just be sitting there on my bed and start getting shortness of breath,even if I'm not having an anxiety attack....ive been to the er so many times because of my panicking....I've had xrays,ekg's,and lots of blood work done,& the doctors tell me that I'm healthy....my psychiatrist told me that I think about the breathing too much and that Its just in my head,but it scares me!!!does anybody else have that same problem???I have read other stories with the same issues!!!I just want to know that I'm not the only one going through this!!!!!

22 likes, 351 replies

351 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yep all the time! I go through bad spells where I feel like I'm short of breath for days at a time. It's horrible! I do think it's because I become conscious of my breathing and then after a week Or so I find something else to focus on. But it does always come back.
  • Edited

Hi!! Yes your doctor is right if you consentrate on a certain symptom it will feel worse than it is! I keep feeling the same it's hard to just get on with it I just sit and cry because I am sick of feeling like this I just want to feel better! My doc asked me if I thought of anti depressants but I'm unsure are you on anti depressants? I think I may need to resort to them I'm not getting anywhere xx
    • Edited

Hello,thanks for ur response back,I am on anti depressants (celexa)...I was on it for 4 years,then came off of them in may,but had to get back on them about 3 weeks ago because my anxiety/depression came back worse...I got off of them cause I felt so much better and thought I could do it on my own,but apparently not!!that med.helped me get my life back in those 4 years!!I started getting like this when my 4 year old now,was 1 mnth.at the time and I found out he had a heart disease,so he had open heart surgery,but the doctors at Texas children's hospital repaired the problem and he's as healthy as can be !!but ever since then I've had anxiety,always rushing me and my kids to the er thinking sumthing is wrong...anxiety has taken over my life,and I plan to get it back....I'm not gonna lie,the first few weeks on the med.is not fun because of the side affects....but if ur a strong person,u will get through it & also have a support system there for u while going through this!!!!I never wanted to take med.for this but everybody convinced me that I need it....& it helped!!sumtimes u just a lil help....good luck on the decision u make to overcome this anxiety!!keep me informed...u are not alone!!!

CHRISTINA G.

• Edited

...And maybe you have reflux which would textbook that when you go from lying down to uoright it would tighten and get shortness of breathe. Be carefuk about anxiety disorders because everyone around you write off even the obvious.  Oanic disorders are very debillating and being profiled is cruel. Sometimes there honestly is a ohysical reason.
  • Posted

Mine is dizziness I wake in the morning and the first thing I think is am I giddy ,I know that is the wrong thing to do but how can you help it when it just comes into your mind . I am dizzy most of the day getting worse if I have to stand or go out .not on any medication as my Dr wants to do more tests have had blood test that came back ok and am now waiting for a 24 heart monitor to be fitted. I am sure it is anxiety but cannot control it at all 
    • Posted

Everyone forgets to also see an opthamologist. Dizzy can be from ears, sinus, bp, eyes and hormones.
  • Edited

Yes having anxiety will make you have short/shallow quick breaths! It is completely normal and I suffer from this is well. I will share a little trick with you...going through many methods of coping has brought to this. Submerge your face is freezing cold water and it will help stop the panic attack! The area this triggers in your brain overrides the area of the brain that give you anxiety/panic. Make sure to take deep breath in through your nose and out through your mouth. Think of something that brings you peace. Whether that be a person, place, or object. I hope some of these work for you! If you have any questions feel free to message me.
    • Edited

Thanks for responding!!it's hard to concentrate on anything else when u have anxiety....I do the cold water,& I've been told that going jogging will help with the breathing too....I'm going for a jog in a while!!& I'm constantly doing the breathing teqniques all day everyday!!I just want to feel better for my kids & my husband!!!
    • Posted

Good keep them up! Running is great for anxiety. Any kind of workout is. What has helped me more then anything in a short amount of time is yoga. Just 30 minutes of yoga a couple times a week is glorious.
    • Posted

I’m currently going through this and can’t control it. I have suffered from panic attacks for around 15 years and I’m on meds to try to help. Doctor has just increased my dose but the panic is still getting worse. Even when Im not having a panic attack my breathing is bad even when I fill my lungs with air it doesn’t feel like I’ve taken a breath. 
    • Posted

How is your breathing now, any better? I have shortness of breath because of my anxiety and I just started Prozac.
    • Posted

Hi. I’m new to this board and ofcoursebecause  i’m having shortness of breath which can only be explained by anxiety because my health checked out OK. I was given Xanax yesterday and it helps little bit but not for long and wondering what helps other people . It’s driving me insane and making me miserable. Had it only 2 before if my life and never lasted this long (a week) . I’m trying to find a good psychiatrist but really hate ssri’s . Bad enough I’m on Lexapro to sleep ( yep- all stemming from anxiety) although I don’t Jane panick attack’s per se or feel anxious but sure as hell have sob! 
    • Posted

For me, my doctor told me that the shortness of breath will go away once my ssri kicks in. I'm not living my life like this, I can't handle feeling breathlessness all the time so I'm okay with taking something. I'm actually on day 4 of Prozac. I do get anxious though and I can even get breathlessness without feeling anxious, the doctor's have all confirmed it's from anxiety.

• Posted

I’m sorry yes I have experienced this many times for the last 10 years it sucks idk what to do 

• Posted

Hi, im new to this. I was just checking symptoms and came across this. I had a heart attack 2yrs ago and had stents.

About 6 months ago i started getting pain in my chest that was a but tight and heavy. This pain was at the top of my left breast on the curve going under the breast. I than also started getting out of breath.

Trips to A&E were taken. ECGs were normal and bloods.

I had an angiogram yesterday which has shown nothing untoward. My last stent was fine and dont need a new one.

Thing is, ive been in pain again today and shortness of breath. Cardiologist has it may be something i have to live with.....live with what......? Am i dying?, Is this normal? What do i do now?

I have these symptoms every day, at least 2- 5 a day when im watching tv, in bed, walking. Im ok when im asleep.

Can anyone give me any clues please 😑😑

• Posted

I've had really bad anxiety for 4 years now, often feeling like I can't breathe and convinced that I will be dead within the next 10 mins. I don't know if it's anything like this for you, but I really need to ask someone; how do you convince yourself that it is worth carrying on? I hope you've never reached this point, but if anyone else feels such intense fear all the time (and like this is slowly but surely driving them insane) and devaluation in their right to life and health, please let me know.

• Posted

Im 23 and im wondering will i always be like this... Some days are hardest and some hours of some days are better, some seconds its like am not me at all and am happy then those seconds are gone so quick and am swimming in my own mind again. It feels so real and so physical for something the doctors said its only in ur head ur very healthy physically. Im on antidepressant (depramil) its been 3 weeks since my first ever but very severe panic attack and i honestly feel like the pills are not doing me any difference except that I sleepa bit more than before the attack now its the reminder that i shud keep breathing that makes me cope... I wonder for how long

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.