Shortness of breath even when im not having an anxiety attack!

Posted , 234 users are following.

Hello I'm a 32 year old female,I have been having anxiety and some depression for about four years now!!so I understand everything that everybody on here is going through!!!!I started back on my meds almost 3 weeks ago....I can just be sitting there on my bed and start getting shortness of breath,even if I'm not having an anxiety attack....ive been to the er so many times because of my panicking....I've had xrays,ekg's,and lots of blood work done,& the doctors tell me that I'm healthy....my psychiatrist told me that I think about the breathing too much and that Its just in my head,but it scares me!!!does anybody else have that same problem???I have read other stories with the same issues!!!I just want to know that I'm not the only one going through this!!!!!

22 likes, 351 replies

351 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It could be the new medication AND it could be an anxiety attack....Anxiety attacks do not always have the same symptoms.

Sometimes I just start sweating....without panic.  Sometimes with panic...sometimes with fast heart beat...sometimes not.

I would definetly brush this by the person who prescribed you the new med.

• Posted

I already told my psychiatrist about my symptoms and she told me that it's not the med.its just me thinking about it too much,which I do....I took this med for 4 years and it helped me tremendously!!!so,I'm thinking it is just anxiety if the doctors say im completely healthy!!!!
  • Posted

Hi..do you have anxiety medication?

That helps me alot too.

• Posted

i think anxiety is the problem with your breathlessness and racing hearts.  I havethe same abd havent had an episode for weeks and weeks, i think maybe when a worry sets in or your able to relax after beingn busy perhaps wen you have time to think you subconsiciously get symptoms.  try relax and exercise and tryig to always keep positive and do nice things.  best luck

• Posted

Omg me too I concentrate on my breathing n it makes it worse but I notice wen I try n occupy my mind I forget about the way I'm breathing even if it is for a minute or 2 just remember it won't harm you if your healthy you've bin told your healthy so just keep saying it too your self wen you feel like your not x it will pass
  • Posted

I'm not sure if you'll see this. But I have a condition called pectus excavatum, otherwise sunken chest. It gave me little to no problems through my years. I'll experience very mild pains that were easy to deal with and treatable with iboprofen. Until one day I was in a shooting incident that scared me to death because I almost lost my life I started experiencing breathing problems. I blame my condition until today. I realize I might be stressed. School believe doesn't help and I think about breathing which makes it worst. Being a healthy child ever since the shooting I've been in the hospital for four months back and forth for anxiety attacks that I thought were related to my chest condition. I had an incident with a guy that was causing me to panic because he was trying to come in my room but I locked it. He left thank god but I took the time to look on the Internet to see if anxiety cause breathing problems. I realized I have symptoms for it and then I read your story and almost cried. I believe I found my answer and I can fix my life and bring it back on track.

• Posted

Yes its anxiety. When i hold a mike to speak in school, i panic cause i just have to speak infront of my classmates. And i hope you get well. I pray for you. I understand you..
  • Posted

Hello G. I am 16. I have the same problem. Take long breath, inhale slowly from your mouth and let the breath go in your stomach. Then exhale again very slowly from your mouth. It will work.

Best regards. 😊

• Posted

Same problem, It is absolutely horrible dealing with it, can make you feel very alone. Have you got your wisdom teeth checked out lately? As I did, and dentist and doctor have said this is what is setting my anxiety off the scale, I have double impacted wisdom teeth, waiting on double root canal surgery :\. I didn't know they could affect your lungs, anxiety, bones, brain literally everything. Healthy diet helps also, over or under active thyroid problems can also mimic anxiety, deep yoga breathing and letting the anxiety take over me while saying to myself "it is not going to hurt me, anxiety is a lyer" helps hope this helps smile

• Edited

Hi my name is Kevin. You arent alone! I was just online searching for people who suffer from the same issues i have. I am im good health, non smoker, and it great shape but i get shortness of breath from anxiety all the time. I often worry that i may have worse health problems that im not aware of. I live im southern IL. I am a professional musician and a tile guy. I have a very active life and it often interferes. I have always been an intense person. Maybe my lifes intensity is catching up with me. If you ever need someone to talk to im here. Just text me 618 529 2184
    • Posted

Yea I also get shortness ofbreath it's scary I pray we all get better from This anxiety

• Posted

Wow...it's amazing what google can do Lol. I was actually trying to figure out the same thing when I found this page. I'm really sorry to hear that you struggle with that. I struggle with Schizophrenia myself, and I know how hard having extreme anxiety and depression can be. Actually, you're not the only one going through this. I deal with shortness of breath on a day to day basis, even when I'm not having an anxiety induced or Schizophrenic induced attack. It usually happens for no apparent reason. Sometimes I'll just get up and start to feel extremely short of breath to the point where I want oxyegen. I have ashtma, so I know and am used to ashtma attacks, as well as knowing exactly what the symptoms are and they're like; as I've had it ever since I was 7 (I'm 21 now). This is NOTHING like an ashtma attack. I think the fact that my inhaler as well as ashtma medication doesn't work for this proves that point very well. As well as the normal and healthy thing; I went to the doctors to get tested for the exact same thing and have had an ambulence come over before. They 'couldn't find anything wrong' with me either. Unfortunately, being a Schizophrenic means people don't take you seriously, and they think you're just having 'delusions'. Welp. That's basically what happened. Every time I tried explaining it, they just say it was 'in my head' or 'I was focusing on it too much', which I know isn't true due to the fact that I do disconect from reality a lot, and I even try distracting myself from what I go through every day inside my head by doing things to get my mind off of everything. So, I don't /think/ that's the point here. As well as meds, I was told it may have been that, but none of my mood stabelizers nor anti psychotics have that affect nor have /ever/ caused me shortness of breath this severely. So unfortunately, I have no idea why this is happening to you or so many other people, it seems, but I hope and pray that we'll find an answer one day, whether its reflux or something completely undiscovered. I have a question though. Does it happen at random, or only when you're doing a certain event of whatever the sort? Maybe if we figured out what we all had in common regarding this shortness of breath, it might help us to solve the problem. I hope you're doing better though, and have figured out ways of coping and working through this. smile

• Posted

Just to let you all know some anti psychotic and antidepressants can cause low vitamin b12 which causes shortness OF breath and weakness. If you feel weak and out of breath get your B12 checked ASAP XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.