Should I continue physio

Posted , 9 users are following.

I Am 12 weeks post op. Out of 30 Patients having our TkR around the same time,i am the only one with complication im in constant agony and have a swollen knee,no matter how many times that I use ice or heat i get no relieve from my pain or swelling!

Should i continue physio and exercising?

cheers BASIL

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear this.

you don't mention if you've informed the surgeon your having such difficulties. that would be the first thing to do.

what does your physio say?

• Posted

AS its a Goverment hospital each visit (ive been back 5 times) im seen by someone different each time and have never met the SURGEON who did the operation ever.I was there on thursday and told although they are concerened (also i may have trapped scar tissue) they dont want to operate as this may cause a infection they say?MY Blood results are fine.

I was told exercise more this made it worse i was told to rest this made it worse as i was stiff all over.In the begining i was told its early days but 3 months later not a drop of ever improving?My physio i only see in a weeks time is also concerened

im confused as what to do as my appointment back at the hospital is in a few weeks time only

• Posted

Sorry to hear this.

you don't mention if you've informed the surgeon your having such difficulties. that would be the first thing to do.

what does your physio say?

• Posted

I think you need to find out why you're experiencing so much unremitting pain. I would try resting a bit more. I'm nearly six months in after my TKR. My knee is still swollen. I also don't find ice helpful. My physiotherapist recommends heat. I hope you get better soon. 12 weeks is still very early days as I now know. My problems stem from overdoing things at around 11 weeks, thinking I was fully recovered.

• Posted

Thanks just frustrated been the only one of 30 to still be having all this pain and swelling

• Posted

I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU CAN HAVE SWELLING AND PAIN FOR EVEN 9-12 MONTHS - PRESUME YOU HAD A 6WEEK REVIEW WITH YOUR CONSULTANT ? - WHAT DID THEY SAY .

CONSTANT PAIN/ LACK OF SLEEP REALLY DOES'NT HELP RECOVERY PROCESS - I'M TWO WEEKS POST OP AND REALLY STRUGGLING WITH ONLY TWO TO THREE HOURS SLEEP A NIGHT - SENDING HUGS AND BEST WISHES AND HOPE YOU GET TO RESOLVE THIS - LET US KNOW HOW YOU GET ON X X

• Posted

thanks ive done physio classes over the last 3 months with so many different people and every one is doing great

we had 7 people in the 80's and going great one lady is 85yo and 3 weeks post op and has minimal pain or swelling so frustrating as 5 guys from work who have had a tkr all were back at work within 12 weeks doing manual labour as well

• Posted

I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU CAN HAVE SWELLING AND PAIN FOR EVEN 9-12 MONTHS - PRESUME YOU HAD A 6WEEK REVIEW WITH YOUR CONSULTANT ? - WHAT DID THEY SAY .

CONSTANT PAIN/ LACK OF SLEEP REALLY DOES'NT HELP RECOVERY PROCESS - I'M TWO WEEKS POST OP AND REALLY STRUGGLING WITH ONLY TWO TO THREE HOURS SLEEP A NIGHT - SENDING HUGS AND BEST WISHES AND HOPE YOU GET TO RESOLVE THIS - LET US KNOW HOW YOU GET ON X X

• Posted

20% of TKR are bad. I had an orthopedic surgeon tell me that. Not the one that did my surgery though... I would have thought twice about having it , had I known that.

• Posted

thanks

im worse off now but am told i will see the benifits in 1 year maybe?but been 3 months without income and counting is not nice

have a great day

• Posted

I'd cut right back on exercising, but do a little and see how that affects your knee. You need to keep moving the knee to avoid it stiffening up, but try doing a few repetitions, 2 or 3, more frequently rather than 10 or 20 in one go and build up gradually. If the knee is worse next day cut back again, have a rest day or more and start again. How active are you otherwise? Walking around for 5 minutes every hour and using the stairs can be enough sometimes before you begin to add anything else in.

Are you elevating your leg toes above nose whilst icing for at least 40 minutes 4 times a day? Try not to have the leg completely straight when doing it, but keep a slight bend in the knee. I used 4 pillows staggered. I hope you find something to help

• Posted

thanks

i had so much pain i burnt a hole in my skin using ice direct on skin

i am very fit slim dont drink or smoke but above doesnt help

the inside of my knee is where i feel the most pain so cant sleep on my side if i try sleep on my back i snore myself awake

monday today and im starting a low exercise program for the week mainly walking and a few leg strenghing exercises and see how that goes

i have excellent knee bend and straighting

just swelling and pain

• Posted

Ouch! Never apply ice directly to skin. They should have told you that in hospital. I was given a special cuff designed to hold 2 ice packs and wrap around the knee. Cutting back for a week sounds a good idea, I hope it helps.

Were you slightly bow legged before surgery? If so, that's probably what's causing the pain on the inside as the tissues adjust to a straight leg. I was slightly knock kneed and have the reverse. It's the outside that still gives some pain. The surgeon said that could take 18 months to settle as the tissues become aggravated.

• Posted

thanks

yes i have a knee guard that fits 3 ice packs but ice packs had melted so i had another ice pack i slipped under my elastic bandage causing a big blister then wet hole!

ive had 5 reviews back at the hospital and they now suspect scar tissue is caught in the joint on the 17th they going to make a decision on what to do

• Posted

MY physio book they gave me prior to surgery was quite clear on NOT applying ice direct to skin under any circumstances . I bought a ice bag from 'The Physio Room - brilliant for moulding round your knee- like a black material, plastic lined of course , with a screw cap - only about £4-50 ish - my BEST friend for sure

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.