Should I get the shingles vaccination?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Some friends strongly recommend shingles vaccination, and looking at the problems caused by shingles, and seeing the discomfort of people i know who had shingles,  I see their point. 

However here in Ireland vaccination is expensive, but should I get it.

I am 77, and not in great health, unfortunately.

I would welcome suggestuions.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Personally i dont do vaccines but im sure Merry will advise you .shes a nurse and seems to give great knowledge and advice .good luck with your choice .
  • Posted

Dear Mr. Noelfitz,

As someone who has suffered with recurrent episodes of Shingles in my right ear every 3-5 weeks for the past 21 years and twice in my right eye, I certainly would recommend it. I plan to have Shingrex, the new vaccine by GSK, which is more efficacious than the old vaccine Zostavax by Merck. Shingrex is a series of two injections, spaced 2 to 6 months apart.

I would have gladly paid $2000 and more to prevent the excruciating pain and deafness that ensued. I was 42 years old.

If I may suggest that you ask your Physician to check your Vitamin D and B12 levels. Both decline as we age. Vitamin D is essential for immunity, and mine was extremely low. When I started Vitamin D3 2000 IU daily, the episodes decreased markedly.

Please know that I believe in getting vaccines. I was born in an era where we had the measles, and my identical twin had encephalitis, and another sister had polio, and I, of course, have recurrent Shingles. I live on a fixed income, and understand what it means to budget. I plan on getting Shingrex next month. I know people in the States do feel somewhat sick, but not nearly as bad as Shingles.

I hope I have been of some service.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I agree with you Merry , I would pay much more to get the vaccination than to go through the excruciating pain of shingles . I am 76 and on a pension and the shingrex vaccine is $300 in Canada. I will pay in two payments with the injections, can I afford it? Not really but I will sacrifice something else just to get it. I am going to get mine next week. I have had the script but waited until I completed some social events as I didn’t want to go in case I suffer side effects,  
    • Posted

Sheila,

Thank you!

Sometimes, you wish certain individuals ie modern medical professionals might understand about all the ramifications of Shingles. The old time Physicians and RNs certainly did.

I am glad we have the forum to exchange ideas and to help and support one another. It has been a God send to me. The loveliest people are on the forum.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Será Mr. Noelfitz,

I should have informed you that I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States.

Again,

Best Wishes,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi Noelditz. I have a prescription for the shingrex vaccine. I have held off getting it just because I’ve had a few events that I needed to attend and I didn’t want to be suffering from any side effects. It cost $300 Canadian dollars which I can pay $150 for first injection and pay the rest with second injections.  I am in my 77 th Year also. I will get the vaccination even with the high cost because I never ever want to go through the horrible pain of shingles ever again. It was hell!!! 

• Posted

How much does shingrex vaccine cost in the United States?Does Medicare cover it?
    • Posted

Hi Don!

Medicare should cover it. It is available in most pharmacies CVS and Walgreens. Call your pharmacy and ask what they need, ie script from your Physician, if it is available, etc.

How are you and your wife doing?

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks for all the replies all advocating vaccination, which I will get.

Daily I take Vit D (10 micrograms, 400 IU, 200% NRV) and Vit B12 (25 micrograms, 1000% NRV), these should be adequate.

• Posted

No brainer..yup..after experiencing the hell that i just went through for 6 months no amount of money would be of been important enough
    • Posted

Hi Marcia. Have you had the shingrex vaccination, if so what side effects ? I am going to get mine in the next few days. I held off getting it because I had a few events that I had to attend and was afraid of side effects that would keep me from attending   I am 76 and in good health but I also never want to go through the excruciating pain of shingles again. 
  • Posted

I live in the UK and am 71 so here we are eligible to get the older shingles vaccine free on the NHS (not Shingrex as yet). I have had recurrent bouts of shingles for the last few years, with a rise in symptoms every month. So I ended up on a suppressant dose of Aciclovir every day which helped but didn't prevent outbreaks. I had my doubts whether the vaccine would help but a couple of months ago I went for it, stopped the Aciclovir and so far the results are good - no symptoms of an outbreak coming on. It's early days yet but I feel more relaxed about it now and hopeful that it will work for a while at least and give me a break!

My advice would be to go for it, better not to start on this merrygoround. I had my first heavy bout at 17, the next in my fifties, then frequently in my sixties.

• Posted

Thanks for all replies.

I hope to see my GP next week and will mention getting the vaccine to him.

• Posted

With all the poisons and murdered fetuses in vaccines I decided not to get vaccinated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.