Should I get the shingles vaccination?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Some friends strongly recommend shingles vaccination, and looking at the problems caused by shingles, and seeing the discomfort of people i know who had shingles,  I see their point. 

However here in Ireland vaccination is expensive, but should I get it.

I am 77, and not in great health, unfortunately.

I would welcome suggestuions.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Noel, you should speak to your doctor on this but your doctor will probably tell you the same as anyone on this forum would tell you. Yes, you should get the shingles vaccine, IF your doctor feels you are strong enough to take it. The new vaccine "Shingrix" that was approved January 2018, is NOT a live vaccine like the old vaccine, so the side effects are typically milder and only last 2-3 days, whereas shingles can last weeks and months. Again, your doctor will know best though. Take care and stay well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.