Should I go to the doctors?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Today I woke up with muffled hearing in my left ear that has over the day been randomly making crackling noises. Both issues disappeared/were less noticeable for a few hours after using a cotton bud (which had a fair amount of wax).

If it still is the same when I wake up tomorrow, I’m wondering what I should do. I shouldn’t really have used the cotton bud, and I can’t use olive oil (I have a perforated eardrum).

I had an ear infection a few months ago and have also had random moments of my ear leaking for no apparent reason (though I noticed it begun a few weeks after a fall).

I understand the NHS are pretty cash-strapped so I don’t want to waste unnecessary money, but I also just want to know what is causing it, so I thought I’d also ask here too.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Plz see a doc . Sounds like a ear infection or fluid blockage. 

Your health is precious and if cash strapped health system or not, its needs to be addressed.  

Hope your hearing will be better soon! Is so frustrating not knowing. Only a doc can examine you for a prognosis. 

GOOD LUCK 🍀 

• Posted

I think it is an ear infection unfortunately now sad really worried for my ear as the last time I was having problems like this year, the ear infection lasted for months completely resistant to any antibiotics.

The soonest appointment the doctors offered me yesterday (when I didn’t think it was an ear infection) was in 2 weeks, and only after negotiation it could be reduced to one week instead, so I’m stuck with nothing to help until then.

• Posted

I'm testament to that.  I contracted Pneumococcal Bacterial Meningitis through Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.

The bacteria crossed the blood/brain barrier....terrible time !!

Lost the sight in my left this is the problem we are now facing with overuse of antibiotics, they are becoming resistant.  Try a different one, because of this problem the scientists are trying to find new ones.

Hope you feel better soon

Anne

• Posted

Not sure what happened to my reply as I seem to have lost some of my message.

I lost the sight in my left eye, hearing down in right ear and suffer vertigo on lying

flat.  Just some of the things that can potentially happen with meningitis and obviously

the worse is losing ones life....not many people come out unscathed by this dreadful

illness.

Anne

Anne

• Posted

Definitely an ear infection as confirmed by the doctor after I saw them today (they said burst eardrum which I'd already known before). Got given amoxicillin which I was given last time that worked (though last time I think wasn’t so bad).

• Posted

Please visit a doctor as soon as possible, don’t use an earbud because it will make the wax push deeper inside and may damage your eardrum. Earlier, I had the similar problem and got recovered from that when I consulted a good ENT doctor.

Book an emergency appointment and don’t mess around with your ears.

• Posted

Yesterday they offered one a week away when I called them. However this morning I woke up to discharge from my ear and called again and got an appointment for today where they told me I had a burst eardrum (surprise surprise) and gave me amoxicillin.
    • Posted

That's good at least now you're protected from anything nasty.  Do you think you perforated your eardrum by keep trying to pop them.  Unfortunately, that's what I've done in the past.  So hard not

to keep trying to open the tubes.  If the perforation appeared on it's own, the pressure must have 

been immense behind your eardrum.

Let me know if it clears once you've finished medication.

Anne 

• Posted

No I don’t think I did because I know it doesn’t work so I never tried this time when my ears were blocked. Steam is apparently supposed to help ears, but I noticed after I had a shower last night the muffled hearing became more prominent.
    • Posted

Put cotton wool into your ears when you shower.  If your blocked ears continue once the tablets have been finished, ask for a course of Prednisolone steroid tablets.  they will get rid of all the inflammation that's swelling your Eustachian tubes.....they always help me.

• Posted

Bit of an update: the tablets haven’t done anything so far and I’ve had half of them. Because of my ear, I’ve gained a sore throat today. It feels like there is wax blocking my ear.

Really super worried that it’s going to be the massive problems I had before, where they lasted for months. I had that feeling when it all started on Monday.

If it doesn’t get any better, I’ll obviously go back to the doctors but may call the hospital up to make my hospital appointment sooner.

• Posted

Hello Eva,  What is your dosage ?  Do you have to take 6 every day for 7 days.  Because my ears we so badly blocked with mucus (Glue Ear) in April, I was given a 20 day reducing course.  When ears are badly blocked, sometimes, one weeks supply isn't enough.  It's all the inflammation that is causing the tubes to swell, so they are unable to drain.  I'm not talking about antibiotics, but Prednisolone Steroid tablets.  The antibiotics will just help with possible infection, but rarely clear blocked ears.

Anne

• Posted

3 times a day for 5 days. I wish all tablets didn’t cost the same because for just those ones, an £8.60 cost is a bit crazy whereas other tablets I have last for 30 days.

Last night I think my hearing came back (but I couldn’t decide if it was just me being used to the deafness) but today it’s gone again. Really frustrating. Ear still has discharge (especially set off when I’m in the cold).

At the next appointment I might request specific ear drops that the hospital gave me for if I were to have ear infections.

The ones that they gave me a few years ago, I gave to my brother who has the same problem as me (ear problems are genetic in my family, as my dad and my mum had problems with their ears as well as loads of my family) so I no longer have them left (they would have probably been out of date now). They worked for him when no other medicine did so hopefully they’ll do the same for me rather than going through loads of different medications with none of them working.

If nothing can get my ear to unblock then I don’t know what to do. I mean, I can hear out of it but the sounds are significantly quieter than my other ear (I’m lucky enough to normally have perfect hearing despite all the problems with my ear).

Will keep you updated as to what happens when/if I end up going to the doctors again.

• Posted

Hello,  I too live in England and it's hard getting appointments anyway.  You may have pushed the wax further into your ear with it now sitting on your eardrum.  Go to the practice nurse and get her to take a look.  My husband had irrigation on both his ears last week as he had so much build up of wax.  The nurse will also be able to see is there is any possible infection present.

Most of us on this Forum suffer Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, which is the most awful thing.  It's when mucus from colds, sinus and allergies stick the tubes together, called Glue Ear in children, but also common in adults too.

Hope you get sorted soon

Anne

• Posted

Ah I don’t think it’s that as I don’t have a cold and only one known allergy (which I only discovered starting my job and still don’t know whether it’s dust or the spray we use :D).

I think I may have had glue ear in Jan 2012 (I was still a child then) and the following grommet lead to it being a perforated ear. Really hope it’s not flaring up again.

The only times I’ve lost my hearing before was because of a cold (last year) but this was dismissed since my ENT appointment was 4 months after, and when my ears been blocked by water (happened 3 times since May). This time seems to be for no real reason, hence my concern.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.