Should I go to the doctors?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Today I woke up with muffled hearing in my left ear that has over the day been randomly making crackling noises. Both issues disappeared/were less noticeable for a few hours after using a cotton bud (which had a fair amount of wax).

If it still is the same when I wake up tomorrow, I’m wondering what I should do. I shouldn’t really have used the cotton bud, and I can’t use olive oil (I have a perforated eardrum).

I had an ear infection a few months ago and have also had random moments of my ear leaking for no apparent reason (though I noticed it begun a few weeks after a fall).

I understand the NHS are pretty cash-strapped so I don’t want to waste unnecessary money, but I also just want to know what is causing it, so I thought I’d also ask here too.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

**OP**

So I called the doctors today after waking up this morning with still muffled hearing in my left ear (which I don’t think was as bad as yesterday). Also ear leaking a little, but I suspect this may have been caused by the cold (8 degrees though).

They said the earliest appointment they could offer was NEXT WEEK. I accepted that appointment, but honestly feel I’ll end up cancelling it.

Unless it’s like the constant ear infections I had 6 years ago, it’ll be better by then. Though the last time I had an ear infection, I was given antibiotics. I may still choose to go to the appointment because of the random ear leaks , but like I said- the NHS is cash-strapped and I don’t want to waste an appointment for something I’ve gotten used to now.

I am currently under ENT at the hospital, but I declined to have another operation back in May because I hadn’t had any ear infections since Jan 2012. My next appointment isn’t until April somewhen now, and I think the plan is to have my care referred back to my GP as there’s nothing they can do other than that op.

Thanks for everyone’s replies though smile I’ll bring any updates as they come

• Posted

Hello again, well it does sound as though you now have ETD.  See all my posts that I written

to other people with the medication I use daily to try and keep my ears from blocking up.

• Posted

Woke up this morning and think it may have just been a delayed ear infection, because I woke up to a fair amount of discharge from my ear. Though it does feel a little like I have a cold now, but I’ll wait and see.
  • Posted

**OP**

Woke up at 6 this morning (unusual for me), to my ear leaking and pain.

Yesterday I was fine most of the day, mishearing what some people said but around 8/9 I had the weird crackling sound make its reappearance, and the muffledness becoming more obvious again.

Think I may have a cold (last night my throat was having that weird cold feeling and my muscles were aching) but unsure as I feel fine at the moment, minus a minimal sore throat that isn’t abnormal for me to wake up with (I’m just thirsty).

What really annoys me is that if I do have an ear infection, I’ll just have to try to get over it without any tablets or medicine because of how the appointment is a week away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.