should I have been having smear tests

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 67 and have not had a smear test since I was about 48 I had total hysterectomy age 45 and was on HRT until 62 when I had Heart Surgery and had to come off HRT immediately. I am 67 now.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Margaret..

I havent had a hysterectomy, i am just in year 8 of Peri, but if you have had a total hysterectomy ie.. removal of womb/cervix you shouldnt need a pap smear, as no longer have the cervix, best to check with doctor, if you have a partial hysterectomy and you still have cervix/womb i am pretty sure you still need pap smears...

but best to bet Doctors advise...

Jay x

• Posted

below.... this is something i saw on internet ( maybe helpful) Mayo Clinic ...

It depends.

A Pap smear, also called a Pap test, is an important screening test for early diagnosis of cervical cancer.

If you had a partial hysterectomy — when the uterus is removed but the neck of the uterus (cervix) remains — your health care provider will likely recommend continued Pap smears.

Similarly, if you had a partial hysterectomy or a total hysterectomy — when both the uterus and cervix are removed — for a cancerous or precancerous condition, regular Pap smears remain important.

You can stop having Pap smears, however, if you had a total hysterectomy for a noncancerous condition.

Your age matters, too.

According to guidelines from the American Cancer Society, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, you can stop routine Pap smear screening after age 65 — whether you've had a hysterectomy or not — if you have a history of regular screenings with normal results and you're not at high risk of cervical cancer.

If you're unsure whether you still need Pap smears, ask your doctor what's best for you.

• Posted

Hi Jayneejayme again! must have "fog brain" hadn't seen your comments for me on pap smears makes it clearer for me now will ask GP and WILL go
  • Posted

Margaret... yes yes.. pick up the phone and make appt, write down whats troubling you and take it with you..

there will be something they can give you that may help you... mention loss of libido etc... may be the best thing you do and you can have a lovely spring and summer feeling alot better 😀 Jay x

• Posted

I would have to say that you should be having them. I feel that they are important to have even if you have had a hysterectomy.
  • Posted

I've had a total hysterectomy with both ovaries and cervix removed. Pap smears take a smear from the cervix which cannot be done if your cervix is removed. You can ask for an exam to make sure things are okay from time to time, I'm sure your GP or practice nurse will advise you what is best. If in doubt ask.
  • Posted

If you've had a total hysterectomy for a non-cancerous condition then you do NOT need any more Pap smears.
  • Posted

I agree with everyone else here, except that a pap smear also involves an examination of other things than your cervix. Mine usually involves even a breast examination. Also cervical cancer (which is usually what they are looking for in a pap smear) is 85% caused by a STD (sexually transmitted disease). So as long as you are not sexually active, I would say you are OK to pass on the smear.
  • Posted

I'm worried about all this as it may give someone the wrong idea.

A pap smear does not involve a breast exam. That is a totally different thing. You should only be having that if you want one or are at risk of breast cancer. Mammograms are for breast checks and you can check yourself between them.

Cervical cancer is 85% caused by HPV which 75% of the population have. Yes it is passed sexually but is so common most people have it these days. It is also the virus that causes cold sores, shingles, chickenpox and warts amongst other things. Children with no sexual activity also suffer this. It is also thought that it can be passed on through contact to a baby during childbirth. It is also not a good thing to not have a smear if you are not sexually active as this horrible virus could cause problems in virgins too.

Best advice is it can't harm to have a smear, better safe than sorry. If you think you might possible have any chance of problems have the test.

• Posted

Hi yes... always best to seek your Doctors advice, he/she has your full medical history...

Maybe Jane was also referring to a breast exam as meaning like a Well Woman Check, where they do a Pap Smear, and check your breasts aswell, they do that here in the Country I live, they call it a Well Woman Clinic, for womens health ... different countries vary... some do full womens health exams... Jayxx

• Posted

That is good. I wish my doc did that, maybe my ls would have been picked up sooner.
  • Posted

Hi Chrisy

if you see a UK NHS Doc well you wont get free well woman checks, you pay for them, they are private fees, thats why they are more extensive and thorough... NHS cannot possibly afford to offer this...

i do not live in UK anymore, so have to pay for health care, if you go private or pay a fee, you get better service... and faster results... I have no choice but to pay...

heres some info for UK .. seems you have to ask to find out about this service and if its actually available...

info off the web...

Many GP surgeries offer a well woman clinic, where you may be seen by a female doctor or practice nurse.

The well woman clinic will often provide advice on:

gynaecological problems

family planning (including fitting an IUD coil)

cervical smears

breast disease

the menopause

They may also provide emergency contraception.

You can also discuss your general health and have your urine, weight, cholesterol and blood pressure checked.

Some local hospitals also run well woman clinics. To use these, you don't need a referral from your GP and an appointment isn't always needed. Ring your GP surgery for information.

If neither your GP surgery nor local hospital runs a well woman clinic, many practice nurses are able to give breast awareness advice, do cervical smears and provide information and advice on contraception and hormone replacement therapy (HRT).

There are also private health organisations that run well woman clinics, carrying out extensive health checks for women for a fee. You can find details of these in your local phone book or online.

Jay x

• Posted

Hi Jay,

Thankyou for the information. I have contacted my GP this morning and I am booked in for a diabetes clinic check next week. Going for a blood test on Thursday for it. They have said that I can get all the checks done through that. I am very grateful for your advice. Poor you having to pay for your medical treatment, I dread to think how much mine would cost. I take 9 tablets a day.

• Posted

Hi Chrisy..

Ref Diabetes bloods, make sure you fast ... its a fasting blood test, nothing to eat from midnight only water to drink...

funny this because peri throws everything out of sync... 2 years ago I had my bloods done and chlorestrol check is very important too ... and my results came back border line type 2 diabetes at that time, anyway I wasnt over weight, ate well, never eat fat, ever, check my own sugars now with the tester at home, and always been okay since, it was just a blip, a peri blip......

hahahahaha its not so bad paying for health, its done alot quicker and the meds are alot cheaper than prescriptions in UK... not all bad.... full bloods tests here cost equiv to £90 GBP ... 😔 pap smear £25, mammogramme about equiv to £90 ... so does mount up....

• Posted

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the reminder. It's funny been having these tests for years since I had hysterectomy nearly 8 years ago now. I had not even thought about fasting. It is always good to be reminded, thankyou.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.