Should I Have Urolift or Something Else?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've suffered from BPH for 30+ years. Had a TURP twenty years ago. BPH keeps coming back. Bad LUTS for years. Medication for a long time that no longer helps. Recently diagnosed with minor prostate cancer on which no one will operate. Fully familiar with catheterization. Question now is: Urolift or something else? My uro is backing urolift. I know there are people here who are for it and against it. I know there are (as with everything) potential bad effects, side effects and unhappy sequelae.

Of course, I do NOT want to wind up with a catheter for life, or any of the other myriad miseries that can result from prostate surgery/treatment of any kind. But I'm sad to say those things can happen with every single procedure about which I've read for twenty years and more. What say you, brethren? If I want relief from LUTS, if medication no longer works, what are the options with the largest upsides and the smallest downsides?  

0 likes, 160 replies

160 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

"Medication for a long time that no longer helps. "

What medications did you try, and for how long? Hank

• Posted

This is my opinion, and I'm not a medical expert.  This site seems to attract guys who have had problems with various therapeutic procedures for BPH. I've read a recurrent theme regarding the Urolift procedure; that it's great ... for a while.  Then the problems come back.  It's my best guess that so many of our brothers-in-suffering are told they can give up their prostate medications, and so they do.  The procedure doesn't change the architecture of the prostate by biochemical means.  It remodels the prostate by mechanical means.  The prostate may continue to grow.  That said, some experts argue that even if the prostate does continue to grow, the ability to urinate remains unencumbered.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

The question I cannot get and answer to is that as it grows what happens ? Where does the growing tissue end up and do the bands holding it not damage it ?
    • Posted

The implant are very strong.  But I assume it just hold the prostate open.  I see my Urologist Friday morning.  I'm going to ask him.  I guess if it grow to much you can have a few more implant put on the prostate to keep it open  Take it easy  Ken...  I have to ask him some stuff anyway.  I had a CT Scan the other day and there is something on it that I need to talk to him about.  It said that they see Surgical clips on the left urinary bladder base.  I have never had anything done to my bladder...  

• Posted

I have heard that in some cases the continued growth of the prostate encloses the clamps used (grows around them) and when adjustments of the clamps are needed then this requires surgery. I don't know anyone that this happened to but I did hear it on the internet and it address your questions of continued growth. I am sure that this is not the norm but it would be my luck that my big ole prostate would keep growing and they would have to cut on me. 

• Posted

The group will be interested to hear his reply.

Very strange about the surgical clips.

Good luck with your consultation. 

• Posted

Quite possible the prostate seems as bad as Japanese Knot Weed for growing.
    • Posted

Good Afternoon.  Was with my Urologist for about a hour.  He got everything straight.  2 of the clips are at the opening of the bladder not on the bladder.  The other 2 are at the other end to help with the stricture that I have at the opening of the prostate.  The radiologist also put down that I had brachytherapy seeds in my prostate.  My doctor will be calling the radiologist to tell them to pay more attention to what is on the patients information.  If I did not know better I would have panic.  Being this happen men when you have any test done makes sure you read the results and all is correct  NEXT
    • Posted

How could the Radiologist get it so wrong ? What did your Uro say about the  source of the 'seeds' 

• Posted

Brachytherapy seeds (which urologists place for cancer) have an appearance which is similar on imaging to the Urolift clips.

If a radiologist has not seen urolift patients before (which is certainly likely, as it is a newer procedure), he could easily mistake them for seeds.

• Posted

I gave all the information he needed on any surgery's I had.  The radiologist read the pins from the urolift as the seeds. He never paid attention to the information.  Will type more later having a problem with the computer..Ken 

• Posted

That is what the radiologist did.  But why don't they look at the information from the patient.  I gave them a list of my surgery's and it said I had a urolift.  He did catch the monitor in my chest..  Thank you  Ken  

• Posted

He'd hardly miss the monitor. My pacemaker and Amplatzer amulet showed up well on my CT.  

• Posted

Also I will be on 4 weeks of antibiotics for a infection or prostatitis.  Just to be sure.  He checked my prostate and it was a little swollen.  Also have to have my PSA done again in 3 month's.  It's a little high for me.  The last one was 0.7  This time it's 2.2.  Also being I have a defected kidney.  It is half the size of a normal one.  It sits on my bladder.  He told be because the ureter is very small it could kink or get plug.  He said if I have any pain to let him know. We have to keep a eye on it    Life is so much fun   Ken    

• Posted

My urologist said that there is a lot going on with the Urolift.  They are trying to improve it.  There is a trail going on now with men that have a large median lobe .  Having good results.  Right now it is lasting 5 to 7 years.  They are trying to get it to 10  That is the goal.  But for me a procedure that would last 5 years would be good for me no side effect.  I would have it again.  Now with the prostate growing.  It would depend on the man.  Not all men prostate grows at the same speed some are faster then others.  When the prostate grows the clips will hold it open if the prostate gets to big they can be adjusted or the doctor can put more in.  Like mine.  9 month's after I had it done.  I had to have a repair.  1 got lose When my doctor went in he found the prostate got smaller he replace one and tighten the other 3  Been good for now.  I hope the improvement come quick.  I think it would help a lot of men.  That don't want any of the others procedures.  Ken   

• Posted

If this guy read the information that they ask for it said that I had a urolift.  He found the monitor and the defected kidney.  They just need to pay more attention.  Life goes on.  Thank god I'm done with tests and procedures for now..  Will see in 3 month's what it will bring  Have a good weekend   Ken

• Posted

That is correct.

We are involved in the median lobe trial. I'm not sure how successful it will be for men whose median lobe is the primary cause of their symptoms. We've been aiding the company with some of the engineering changes they've been implementing, and hopefully the product will continue to improve. It's still (like any treatment for voiding symptoms) not for everyone.

• Posted

Yes it may not be for everyone but I think it would be something to try first and then move on from there.  Time will tell.  Let's hope all goes well.  Thank you for being here.  I have been trying to get my doctor to come on here .  The nurses are telling him he should who knows  Thanks again Ken

• Posted

Can you tell us how they handle a large median lobe in this Urolift trial ? It would be great if no cutting or burning is involved. Thanks. Hank
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about the infection.

I'd read about the trials on bigger median lobes. Do you know how the clips can be adjusted?

• Posted

They tack/bunch the median lobe up to get a (hopefully) wider opening.
    • Posted

It won't be a good weekend  we have Storm Brian hitting South East England. Still it won't be as bad as Ophelia that went up the West Coast and Ireland last week.

• Posted

I'm sorry for it.  I know how you f eel Just had ours here a few weeks ago. be safe Ken

• Posted

Thanks Ken, it won't be as bad as that one. We live in a tall odd shaped apartment block that the wind howls round at the best of times.

• Posted

That is great. I have a pre fab home  4 bedrooms.  Lost 200 to 300 shingles off my roof.  Need a new one know.  it will take some time.  May have to my sons on the roof.  They won't let me up there. take it easy  Ken

• Posted

Do they have to get inside the bladder to do the tacking/stapling ? Where would they tack the median lobe to ? Thanks. Hank
    • Posted

they would take it to the capsule of the prostate.

Whether they need to go into the bladder depends on the actual anatomy of the median lobe 

• Posted

I hope that insurance paid for it. Worst we ever endured was on holiday in New Zealand in 2006 when we got just the tail end of a hurricane that kept us indoors for two days. 
    • Posted

We were keep in for 3 days .  I went by my sons house.  He has a brick home.  Take care  Ken 
    • Posted

We went to Grenada on holiday about six months after its  2004 hurricane. There were very few hotels still operating and practically no tourists apart from day visitors from cruise ships.

We are bird watchers but the birds had left before the storm and did not come back. We went on to Tobago where the hurricane damage was much less.

• Posted

That's great.  I did not get to go any where.  WAS suppose to go to Las Vegas.  But we changed going in February  Have a nice Sunday  Ken        

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.