Should I Have Urolift or Something Else?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've suffered from BPH for 30+ years. Had a TURP twenty years ago. BPH keeps coming back. Bad LUTS for years. Medication for a long time that no longer helps. Recently diagnosed with minor prostate cancer on which no one will operate. Fully familiar with catheterization. Question now is: Urolift or something else? My uro is backing urolift. I know there are people here who are for it and against it. I know there are (as with everything) potential bad effects, side effects and unhappy sequelae.

Of course, I do NOT want to wind up with a catheter for life, or any of the other myriad miseries that can result from prostate surgery/treatment of any kind. But I'm sad to say those things can happen with every single procedure about which I've read for twenty years and more. What say you, brethren? If I want relief from LUTS, if medication no longer works, what are the options with the largest upsides and the smallest downsides?  

0 likes, 160 replies

160 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

An advantage of FLA is that one can avoid RE, a major negative side effect of TURP.  But this is irrelevant if your previous TURP has caused RE.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.