Should I lie in bed all day?

Posted , 5 users are following.

If I rest for a really long time the pain starts to slow down, but as soon as I do more walking(doing house work and other day to day activities) the pain gets bad again. Idk what to do, I feel like I can’t lie in bed all day, my muscles would become too weak and my knees as well. Do you have any advice. Doctor referred me to physiotherapist and I’m still waiting to get an appointment.

Additional information:

-pain on the left and sometimes right side of the knee cap

- doesn’t swell

- burning sensation in knees sometimes 

- tightness 

- no KR for anyone wondering 

- I’ve only had X-ray and blood test which both came back fine

- I’ve not been officially diagnosed, pain has come back over the years every time I tried to squat or do any leg exercises. This time it doesn’t seem to go away like always so it’s probably got more severe

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I’m 22 and at a normal weight for my height if this information helps
  • Posted

Did the dr suggest an MRI scan to find out whats going on? Physio may ask for one before seeing you.
    • Posted

No☹️ doctor wasn’t too concerned and said it’s just a MCL sprain which it’s definitely not. The pain is really not improving so it must be sth else..
  • Posted

I am  in a similar situation as you ,

I am most comfortable when I am in bed.

What works for me is trying to keep myself motivated including exercising, fun hobbies and light chores 

On days where I can’t perform A full workout I lay in bed  or even on my couch and stay in motion 

“Riding a bicycle “ leg motion in the air 

Kicking 

Stretching 

Punching  

Upper and lower body exercises 

Etc 

All while watching some good Tv  in bed 

The key is if you’re going to lay in bed all day ,keep moving ! It’s keeps your blood flowing and less leg cramps when you have to walk around 

Remember to ice both legs , elevate and massage with olive oil 

• Posted

Not sure look at my post under chondromalacia
  • Posted

Not sure with your pain , my pain started with feeling like someone was hitting with hammer in my knees. Later it was on and off, now it’s constant 4 months from beginning. Feels more like burning when I lay in bed but this is also best pain I get. When I stand up I have more sharp pain, and longer I am walking more aching it is afterwards when I am resting. I refused to have an X-ray and had private mri that showed st 2 chondromalacia 
    • Posted

Are you still able to fulfill your day to day activities?
  • Posted

Hi Maria,

No KR ? What does it mean?

Do you experience any grinding in your knees??? I had  bilateral Hyaluronic acid injection in both knees to help with grinding and thus prevent further damage. My knees were very dry. 

I had compulsory rest, anti inflammatory meds and exercise as per doctor’s advise : 15 min slow pedalling on stationary bike tvice a day and swimming and water exercise. 

It definitely helped with my  crepitus but only last week (4 weeks post) I am able to put weight on it without being too sore. I can still feel it, but at least It is no longer stopping me to bend my knees. I wouldn’t dare to do my usual activities. 

• Posted

KR=knee replacement. Many if not most people here had knee replacement that’s why I felt like I had to mention it.

I haven’t heard any grinding , no. They just pop sometimes when I sit down. So what is your life like then if you can’t do any of your daily activities?

• Posted

I had to stop working for a while - to get my pain settled. Due to pain I was not eating  anymore as all I could think of was my pain. But my knees were very dry , you could hear grinding at one point in the next room. 

I had 2weeks my mum looking after me and I only walked to shop or around the house. Later I had mental break down. I regretted every minute when I have woken up as sleeping seemed the best time of my life.  I am having  better week this week- mentally , but unfortunately I will have to adjust my working hours to shorter shifts. 

I don’t see myself exercising again. 

Pls let me know how you are doing -even weeks on - even if it’s something else-you hopefully sort out soon .x

• Posted

My case isn’t as severe as yours as for now at least, but I totally get the way you are feeling. My job is very physical as well so I had to take time off. Been off for a month now and tbh there isn’t much improvement. There is little pain at rest but as soon as I do more walking, the pain starts getting bad again. I had a few mental break downs myself and there were times when I wanted to die or felt sad when I woke up in the morning and realised I was still in pain.

Has physical therapy been recommended to you? Maybe a physiotherapist could help you slowly get back to working out. Keep in touch!

• Posted

My knees and shoulders were hurting sometimes but stopped when I stopped exercising due to tennis elbow. My physio asked me if they are still hurting and they did not at the time. He advised me do something else like running. So I did and that’s how I have finished mine knees off. When I so him next , I explained that my knees really really hurts.  My physio  just said that it will get better and gave me some exercises to do . 

By the time I saw him again  I was in such an agony that I haven’t even thought of doing the exercises,  as only thing after and between my work was laying with my legs up and icing them. I rang him crying from work, that I can feel every step, but he just said there is nothing wrong with my knees. He encouraged me to do more and more. I wished I have never gone to see him in the first place . Than I saw him again and he talked about 40 minutes about my mental health and that there is nothing wrong with my legs and pain is so bad because I was depressed,  due to lack of exercise. He also told me and I quote to swim. “Swim every day”So I went off - felt totally like an idiot. Was not sure whether  I had pain or it was my mind making the pain up.

My GP has always asked what has Physio said - as they know better!

So my GP ordered an X-ray to see if I have any bone damage. I have booked private MRI as I did not think there was something wrong with my bones. My knees were dry and grinding, and I think if I have continued as per physio advice I would have finished with chondromalacia st 3-4 instead of 1-2. 

While I was waiting for an MRI and orthopaedic consultation I tried to swim and did the exercises physio  told me, but instead of improving my knee pain, my shoulders now hurts all the time as well. 

That was my experience with Physio .x

• Posted

People say you need to find the right physio so I don’t know. Some seem to know better than others so it’s best to give another physio a chance before you say no to physiotherapy forever. Anxiety and depression definitely make the pain worse in our head. Be careful with your knees but don’t limit yourself completely. Don’t choose to lie in bed all day forever, that’s only gonna make you more depressed. If you go out for a walk, try not to focus on the pain and instead , focus on something else. Try to enjoy it. If your mind is always set to notice the pain, it’s gonna seem worse than it actually is. 
    • Posted

I know it does Maria , but I also know when something is not right. I kept trying and trying and I think if I properly rested at the beginning -maybe it wouldn’t go so bad. X 
    • Posted

Same here. If you don’t rest straight away when the pain starts, you are only aggravating it. When are you planning to go back to work?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.