should i remove both ovaries?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am going to have surgery on May 04, still so hesitent if i should remove both ovaries. i have a 10x14 ovarian complex cyst with thick septations, CA125 is 17. The oncologist​ said the chance of malinancy is 15-20%. She suggests to remove both ovaries because i am not going to bear any more children and just in case anything in future. A frozen section (quick biocy) is going to be performed during the surgery. If the result comes back malignant, the surgeon will also remove the lymph nodes. If the result comes back benign, then the surgery will be done, no further action required.  I don’t understand why the oncologist still suggests the total abdominal hysterectomy even the result comes back benign? Because it’s not 100% accurate? Or I just don’t need these female organs?

I am 43, I really want to save one ovary if it’s benign, as I am so scared of the surgical menopause and the side effects of HRT, my family doctor told me that I probably will be on HRT for 10 years (43 -55). The oncologist said she will not put me on HRT first, if I have hotflash, then she give me medicine to deal with it. But aren’t these medication also hormone related? She also said everybody is different in responding to forced menopause, some are severe some are mild. I knew some people no symptoms at all when they removed the ovaries, but they were at the age of 48.  I don’t know if anyone is that lucky at age of 43 without symptoms.

On the other hand I am also scared of the accuracy of frozen section and the chance of second surgery, the recurrence of the cyst.

These thoughts really drive me crazy, can anyone share your experiences and thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

3 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello!i have an 11cm simply cyst on my left ovary, I was in severe pain last September when it was found, have been having it monitored for the passed 7 Mths, went to hospital Friday doctor suggested I have it removed and both ovaries so I don't get anymore. Iv never been into hospital either to have an operation and I'm petrified but can't wait to get it out as I'm always feeling so Bloated! I'm 53 in my menopause so losing both ovaries no big deal for me.

• Posted

I'm scared of the surgery too but hopefully when all done will feel much better and no need to worry about anymore cysts. I'm now waiting for my appointment which should be in the next couple of months! 

• Posted

Don't be worried about the op.

It will probably be done laparoscopically and is fast to get over with minimal pain. I had a cyst plus ovary and tube removed last year, it was fine. I would do the same again.

• Posted

Oh Thankyou so much that is very reassuring for me I can't wait to get it removed I feel so tired and bloated all the time. 

• Posted

What is anesthetic like?
    • Posted

I had a long anaesthetic, because I had a lot of adhesions from a previous hysterectomy. Plus the main surgery was a prolapse repair which is a big operation --I asked him to remove the cyst while I was out-- he had to remove the ovary as well due to the cyst being wrapped round it.

I told the anaesthetist I was usually sick and asked him to give me some anti sickness meds, he did, and after recovery I slept for most of the day. 

It was ok. I went for a scan last week, due to anaemia and bloating but haven't got the results yet, but if I have a cyst on my remaining ovary I will have it removed.

• Posted

Doctor say I be out fir about 45 mins drain cyst remove it and both ovaries x Iv asked for a ore med I will also ask for anti sickness too lol xx
    • Posted

I just so scared of op your so kind Thankyou ! Xx I be fine xx
    • Posted

You will, come back and tell us all, you are good, once you have recovered :-))

• Posted

Can't wait to get it done now hopefully will feel much better in myself x

• Posted

Did you have laproscopic surgery done with the adhesions or open surgery because some doctors say you need open surgery if you have adhesions that is my concern . I would prefer laproscopic minimal evasion because I know I have adhesions also from previous surgeries. .ie..C section and tubal pregnancy
  • Posted

Hi Grace, I was on hrt for over 15 years after hysterctomy, which didn't remove ovaries, put me into menopause at 42.

I am now back on oestradial gel hrt due to atrophy. The hrt completely cured any menopause symptoms, and nowadays is a lot safer.

I wouldn't hesitate if I were you, you don't need the ovaries anymore, and with a history of cysts you may get more.

The womb on it's own is no use anymore.

• Posted

Hi Laura, thanks for your response. Did you have severe menopause symtoms at the beginning? Any noticeable changes after taking HRT, e.g. weight gains, bone desity issue?
    • Posted

Yes mainly hot flushes and night sweats, but hurt dealt with that very easily. I kept trying without it, but the flushes and sweats came back, and my dr said, since I had no family history of cancer, I had no higher risk than anyone else.

So for me , it was the right choice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.