should i remove both ovaries?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am going to have surgery on May 04, still so hesitent if i should remove both ovaries. i have a 10x14 ovarian complex cyst with thick septations, CA125 is 17. The oncologist​ said the chance of malinancy is 15-20%. She suggests to remove both ovaries because i am not going to bear any more children and just in case anything in future. A frozen section (quick biocy) is going to be performed during the surgery. If the result comes back malignant, the surgeon will also remove the lymph nodes. If the result comes back benign, then the surgery will be done, no further action required.  I don’t understand why the oncologist still suggests the total abdominal hysterectomy even the result comes back benign? Because it’s not 100% accurate? Or I just don’t need these female organs?

I am 43, I really want to save one ovary if it’s benign, as I am so scared of the surgical menopause and the side effects of HRT, my family doctor told me that I probably will be on HRT for 10 years (43 -55). The oncologist said she will not put me on HRT first, if I have hotflash, then she give me medicine to deal with it. But aren’t these medication also hormone related? She also said everybody is different in responding to forced menopause, some are severe some are mild. I knew some people no symptoms at all when they removed the ovaries, but they were at the age of 48.  I don’t know if anyone is that lucky at age of 43 without symptoms.

On the other hand I am also scared of the accuracy of frozen section and the chance of second surgery, the recurrence of the cyst.

These thoughts really drive me crazy, can anyone share your experiences and thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

3 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Follow your heart, I'm same age as you and was told same thing, my CA125 was 25, my ct scan report came back as suspicious, with septations like yours but I still refused to have a hysterectomy! The agreement I came to in the end with the oncologist was removal of affected ovary, tube and cyst only and a biopsy of the cyst and bowel membrane. Everything came back normal and I haven't had to go into surgical menopause. So no second surgery for me which was what the surgeon threatened.

I'm now 13 weeks post op and so pleased I stuck to my guns! My surgeon didn't seem particularly happy with my reasoning but I knew my body and he didn't!

Unfortunately your oncologist maybe suggesting a total hysterectomy for the same reason mine did.....its probably easier for them and your not going to be an ovarian cancer statistic further down the road.

I did almost change my mind on the day of my surgery but thankfully stuck by my decision. I know menopause is inevitable but i just didn't want to go into a surgical one. The surgeon backtracked with his options so while he was reluctantly agreeing with me I took that option!

Hope that helps somewhat, we are all different and have opinions but I think ultimately if you know your body then go with your gut instinct. I was made to feel like I was probably being arrogant in going against my surgeons advice but it felt like advice without any options. He never in went into what it would be like to go into surgical menopause and for that I immediately suspected his planned surgery was out of ease for him and as a patient I didn't matter.

• Posted

I think I have responded to some of your queries about 3 months ago, recognised your name.

Hope you find a resolution and come to a decision soon. Cysts really zap you, I feel totally different now I've had the op, I have loads more energy again.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, you'll get there, you just need to be sure how you get there.

Take care and good luck. 👍X

• Posted

Hi Fljack, yes you did respond to my queries back in Feb. I am so glad that no second surgery was required for you and now you are doing well! My surgery was originally scheduled on Feb 24 then I canceled it and requested the gynecologist to refer me to an oncologist for second opinion and frozen section to be performed during the surgery. I was hoping that would reduce the risk of second surgery if I decide to keep one ovary. So I was so disappointed when the oncologist still suggested a total hysterectomy. But she said she understood my reasoning why I don’t want a total hysterectomy. Even so that makes me feel so hesitant as I tend to trust the professional opinion  as most people.

If you don’t mind, can I ask you a few more questions? Do you know what kind of cyst/tumor is yours? Did you have a frozen section during the surgery or just the biopsy /pathology  after the surgery? Was your surgery a laparoscopy or laparotomy? How long did it take for you to recover?

• Posted

Hi, my cyst on ct scan was completely different to what was found upon surgery. It was initially described as "nasty and suspicious" and "definitely not a dermoid" It was actually a simple cyst thankfully.

I'm not sure about a frozen section and what it entails. I had a biopsy of the cyst and omenetomy taken but they came back normal.

My surgery was via laparotomy about 10cms, due to size of cyst, suspicious nature and wanting it out in one piece, it actually ruptured during surgery but luckily it was benign so no nasty cells leaked.

I had to have 3 months recovering and I still can't lie on my stomach but I had severe adhesions from previous surgeries so was under the anaesthetic for quite a while to remove them.

X

• Posted

thinking of you today! Iv had my op date through 25th May! X
    • Posted

Hi Sarah,  don't worry you will be fine. Due to the size of the cyst, my surgery was a laparotomy.  Now  i am 19 days post op, so far everything is ok, i am able to drive now, eat well and sleep well. i am so bored, feel i can go back to work.  Actually  only the first week  i  felt pain, weak nauseous , but felt m much better by the second week.

?You  will be all right, wish  you all  the best!

• Posted

Hello, how are you doing?  Well I'm nearly 2 weeks post op and I feel great! Only problem Iv had is I had to go to doctors yesterday to get some antibiotics because one of adhesions gone a bit red and sore but apart from that everything is going well! Since I had my ovaries removed my hot flushes have gone which I find a bit strange they almost stopped immediately and now my tummy is starting to go down thank god can start getting into my jeans again. I'm so glad I had op done I feel so much better I hope you do too! 😊

• Posted

Hi, I'm 9 days post op of having an 10.4 cm cyst on my right ovay and both tubes removed,  I still have not seen my doctor, but had my stitches removed and I asked if the path report came back.  The tech went to talk to the nurse and she said the path report came back clean and fine, but I would need to talk to doctor if I wanted more info.  I will see him 2 weeks and ask my questions then. However so far so good.

I do feel really good my only problem is having a hard time sleeping at night.  Not sure as to why maybe lack of activity.  I'm just starting to sleep on side (either side).  I only took 2 pain pills on day of surgery.

My surgery was done laparoscopic.  I agree with Fljack.... You know your body.  If you feel you don't need a hysterctomy then don't.  The day of surgery my doctoer asked me 3 times if I was sure I wanted to keep my uterus and the other ovary and I said yes all 3 times, I'm sure he wasn't happy because for him it was a matter of ease.

• Posted

Hello! What is surgery like I'm having a 11cm cyst removed and both ovaries on 25 th May. This will be my first time in hospital x 😩

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

You will be fine.  After reading everybody's post I was afraid at first, but I really pulled thru great.  I was afraid thinking I was making a mistake by having an ovaru and tube removed and then my doctor adking me 3 time do I want to keep my uterus.  I kept to my grounds and so no I want it to keep it if it looks okay.  I did ask him if he would look at everything to make sure all parts are okay and he said yes.

I was wheeled in to the or and saw everyone and I knew I was in good hands and that soon I would wake up and sure enough I was asked to that a couple deep breaths in and blow out.  I think to open up my lungs.

The nurses ask you when you are in recovery how the pain is as I wasn't in pain, just a little nausated so she gave me so,e meds for that.  that is when I saw my doctor and he told me he had to take the other tube as it was twisting at leat that is what I thought I heard.  After a few minutes I was wheel to a post op revery for about an hour and then went home.

Yes, I was sore a little, but also has a herina repair.  I did bleed a little but only for a coulr of days so be pepared to have a few pads.

Turst me the nusrse will be there for you and will help you.all the way.  I really do feel great after only 9 days.  I even went to visit my brother and drove 3 hrs.

I will be thinking about you on the 25th let me know how you are doing when you can..

• Posted

You will be fine, as you can see from the posts in this forum it's quite a common surgical procedure. If your having op via laporoscpy then it really is over and done with and you may just feel a bit groggy and tender for a day. Just prepare yourself well before you have surgery, sleep, eat and drink well before hand (easier said than done) don't be afraid to use your buzzer for help, that's what it's there for.

Your going for a nice uninterrupted nap is what I told myself. 😴

• Posted

Fogot to mention wear comfy clothes to the hospital as you will feel bloated.  I'm still wearing comfortable workout pants asIi still feel a little big in the mid section.

• Posted

I just worried about the op I don't need my ovaries just want rid of this huge simple cyst Iv got I not worried about lising my ovaries Iv never had children anywaysx always suffered from really bad oeriods pains think this should have been diagnosed years ago xx

• Posted

I like you have no need for my ovaries, however I wanted to keep one because it can still give off a little something, however, not much.  I just didn't want to give up everything.  I am past anything and not on HRT..

• Posted

You might need HRT for a while to put some eostrogen in your system and help prevent osteoporosis etc. Try looking it up on above link; Women's Health problems, Ovary's etc. x

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I have already gone through menopause, however, still sometime I get mini hotflshes(not bad).  I still have 1 ovary and I don't want HRT because of the complcations from it.  However, that is something you need to talk with your doctor.  I do worry about osteoporsis, but if I continue with vit D (plus natural sunlight) and Calcium I can prevent some of it.

• Posted

When you had your cyst did you feel all bloated all the time was your belly big and did you feel tired all the time? X
    • Posted

Hello Sarah,

I did feel bloated when I bent down and I could feel the cyst and herina push on bladder and stomach.  I am having a hard time  really answering  on being tired because I was tired, but not sure if it was from the cyst or just not sleeping good like I used to.  Yes, my belly was big, but again not sure if it was related to cyst or gaining weight which I have gained. I did ask my doctor if my weight gain was from cyst he said no because most cyst don't weight that much.

I will tell you my belly is still big as I think i still have swelling.  I can tell that I'm pushing maybe to fast and maybe lifting too much.  I'm taking it a little slower today.  I see my general surgeon on Monday to take out the herina stitches and will ask him why I'm still big there. My brother who is a Radiologist took a look and tought I was collecting some blood that the doctor can drain on Monday and maybe make me feel a little better.

• Posted

HI Kelley, how's everything going?  I finally decided to keep my right ovary and uterus. i told the surgeon just to revove the affected ovary, cyst and the two tubes before the surgery.i hope i made the  right decision, the frozen section (quick biosy) during the surgery came back benign, but still waiting for the  pathology to confirm. I wouldn't  know until i go back to see the doctor on  June 7.

Anyway, now  i am  19 days post op, everything gradually goes.back to normal.

• Posted

Hello grace, how was your surgery? I'm going in tomorrow to have ovarian cyst and both ovaries removed, never been in hospital before am so scared! 

• Posted

Grace,

So far everything is going well.  I see my doctor for the first time today and have alot of questions for him.  It seems to far out from surgery (4 weeks) to see him for the first time.

I too hope I made the right decision, to keep my uterus and left ovary. When I had my stitches out a week later the pathology report was back and it was benign, but the nurse couldn't give me anything more as I waould have to talk with the doctor.

How are you getting along?  I had no pain, what about you?

• Posted

Hello Sarah,

Wishing you luck for a great recovery, you will be fine as the nurses are there for YOU.

When you are up to feeling better, please get back to us and let us know how you are doing......

• Posted

Hello Kelly had my surgery today cyst was as big as football 😩 Had both ovaries and tubes removed, did not like anesthetic but am home now and feel ok, No pains in shoulders from gas put in belly just git slight period pains. I haven't got to go bk to hospital anymore he say I Not need HRT as I am in menopause but any oroblems go to my GP!!! How you doing? 

• Posted

Hello Sarah,

So glad you made it.  I didn't have any pains from the gas, our doctors must have been able to release it before stitching us up.  You will feel like a bowling ball for about a week, just take it easy and slow. Sorry you are on HRT I by passed that part. Make sure you get up and walk around to avoid getting a PE.  Oh Also put some ice packs on you they may help with swelling and pain.

I'm all done with going to doctors.

• Posted

I have no pain just slight like period pains maybe tomorrow be different x my surgeon say I not need HRT! 
    • Posted

Sorry I guess I missed the word "not".  I should have also stated soreness.  Hope today is a good one for you.

• Posted

No pain just feeling tired but can't sleep. How did you look after your stitches I think nurse said I could have a shower today but no soap near them x

• Posted

I couldn't sleep all night for about 1 week.  Only could sleep for about 3 hrs then I was wide awake, don't know why either.  They said I could take a shower the next day, but I waited 2 day's because I was still a little unsteady with the hernia surgey that I had repaired at the same time.  As long as you keep banages on then soap is ok.  Set your hair dryer on low to make sure everything gets dry.

What type of surgery did you have laparoscopy?

• Posted

had 12cm cyst both ovaries and tubes removed x
    • Posted

Hi Grace,

How is everything going?

I'm 6 weeks post op and am feeling great and back to myself.  My tummy is starting to go down and am back at doing some exercises not at full strength due to the hernia repair, I still want to wait a bit more.  I'm so gald my path report came back clean.  What is good is I can bend down and not feel any pressure on ovary.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.