should i remove both ovaries?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am going to have surgery on May 04, still so hesitent if i should remove both ovaries. i have a 10x14 ovarian complex cyst with thick septations, CA125 is 17. The oncologist​ said the chance of malinancy is 15-20%. She suggests to remove both ovaries because i am not going to bear any more children and just in case anything in future. A frozen section (quick biocy) is going to be performed during the surgery. If the result comes back malignant, the surgeon will also remove the lymph nodes. If the result comes back benign, then the surgery will be done, no further action required.  I don’t understand why the oncologist still suggests the total abdominal hysterectomy even the result comes back benign? Because it’s not 100% accurate? Or I just don’t need these female organs?

I am 43, I really want to save one ovary if it’s benign, as I am so scared of the surgical menopause and the side effects of HRT, my family doctor told me that I probably will be on HRT for 10 years (43 -55). The oncologist said she will not put me on HRT first, if I have hotflash, then she give me medicine to deal with it. But aren’t these medication also hormone related? She also said everybody is different in responding to forced menopause, some are severe some are mild. I knew some people no symptoms at all when they removed the ovaries, but they were at the age of 48.  I don’t know if anyone is that lucky at age of 43 without symptoms.

On the other hand I am also scared of the accuracy of frozen section and the chance of second surgery, the recurrence of the cyst.

These thoughts really drive me crazy, can anyone share your experiences and thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

3 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just got back from my doctor for follow up from salpingo oophorectomy surgery performed on April 25.  Everything came back benign. 

I now know why my dr. took out left tube as it was only to be right tube, ovary, and cyst to be removed.  He said since he is in there and I'm passed childbearing and to prevent cancer it's best to take all tubes.  Okay, I guess I'm fine with that. With the open incision, the cyst was much bigger than thought.  The cyst on right ovary was 15.2 cm and when he collapsed it, it was 8.9 x 8.1 x 6.7 cm and weighed 2.8 lbs. My cyst was twisted in all directions as doctor stated so that is why I felt pressure or pain as they stated.

I think I made the right decision and feel more relived that all is benign.

The pathology report has done both frozen for a quick response and the final report.

• Posted

Should have stated I'm past childbearing

• Posted

Hi, they took both my ovaries and tubes away I had 12cm cyst on right ovary but took both away to prevent any further cysts and cancer. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.