Should I start on medication?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all

Firstly, I'm kinda glad to have found this forum, hoping to get some help and support as I'm not sure where else to get it.

So, a small bit of background first... I'm just over forty and was diagnosed with depression and anxiety a couple of months back now.

I feel like I'm going to sound very ignorant now but I think, if the diagnosis is right, I have misunderstood what depression is for most of my life... I understood depression to be feelings of sadness, despair and hopelessness that were not brought on necessarily by any actual negative thing happening, but was an illness, be it caused by a chemical imbalance or something else 'medical'.

I have had some horrible things happen the last few years. I am not going into detail, I don't think it's necessary but between loved ones being diagnosed with potentially terminal illnesses, total career failure, loss of all sources of income, death of family members and numerous other things... I've kind of been left feeling totally dead inside. I have always had a fear of death and this past couple of years it has become all-consuming, I can't go more than a couple of hours without thinking about the futility of life and the fact I am going to die and how pointless that makes everything I do.

I haven't bothered going to the doctor about this until recently because I didn't feel this was a 'condition' to be treated, it was just the way anyone would feel under similar circumstances, I guess a suitable analogy would be... if your head suddenly started hurting for no reason you'd go to the doctor to investigate and hopefully give you something to help ease the pain.... if however someone had just punched you in the head, you wouldn't bother... it's obvious and normal why your head is hurting. That's how I felt... I had mentally been punched in the head, repeatedly, for several years, so I didn't need a doctor to help, I needed to stop getting punched.

I still kind of feel like that, like NOT having my life destroyed and having no hope for the future is the thing that needs to be fixed and my mental state will recover accordingly. I suppose I have only now decided to go to the doctor because I have realised that's unlikely to happen and I no longer have any motivation or energy left to try and make it happen, I have resigned myself to the fact my life has pretty much ended with no hope of anything actually improving so I need help mentally coping with that new reality.

Anyway... what I wanted initially was therapy, I wanted to speak to someone, but my GP said I'd have to wait months to get a referral, and I should pay to do it privately... the irony of me being pretty much bankrupt and being told the only way to get help is to pay for it at an insane rate per hour was not lost on me, at least I can still laugh about that :-)

I have been referred and after a few months I have a phone assessment appointment booked for about 4 weeks from now.

In the mean time, my GP was insistent that I should be on medication and has prescribed me Sertraline.

I've read the list of side effects and I must admit I'm scared to death! It sounds like I need to be on them for weeks before I expect to see any positive effects and the negative effects seem to be immediate and in some cases pretty horrible. The withdrawal symptoms when I stop them sound even worse.

I am very tempted to not bother starting.... I guess I really want some advice on whether I have actually been correctly diagnosed and whether starting medication like this is going to be worth it?

I sort of feel like artificially masking the feelings of anger, pain, hopelessness and unhappiness isn't going to help me get my life sorted out... is it really a solution?

Anyway, my thanks in advance for everyone's help and advice....

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Quick update...

I started on a 50% dose about 2 weeks ago now... went up to a full dose last week... about to hit the 2 week mark since I started.

So far... no significant side effects, a little nausea the first few days but nothing since, a few slightly dizzy/lightheaded spells too but again, only for the first few days. I have had a couple of days since going up to the full dose where I have got to about 9pm in the evening and just suddenly felt SO exhausted I had to go to bed and sleep immediately, and a couple of days where I've woken at about 5am in the morning with my mind racing and been unable to get back to sleep again (which is very unusual for me).

The positive side is... I seemed to feel better psychologically from day 1.... initially I thought that MUST be the placebo effect in that I felt like I was 'doing something about my problems' and therefore just felt more positive because of that but it has continued and I have only had one 'down' day (caused by a sudden and unexpected financial crisis) which I managed to get through much better than before and the CONSTANT negative feelings that were plaguing me all day every day seem to have largely gone already?

I'm hoping the positive effects continue and/or get even more pronounced as I hit the 3 week point where most people seem to claim they start getting a real benefit.

Will update again in a week or so... felt I should post with what's happened so far as the only personal experiences I could find when I was making the decision whether to start on the Sertraline were from people who were complaining of massive side effects and a very slow positive effect.... wanted to balance that out with my experience at least :-)

Thanks again all for the support so far.

• Posted

Glad you are doing better. I still find I wake up early and feel anxious burnt dies pass. Please Do stay in touch. We all help each other through x
    • Posted

Well done Ben! How's it going now? Give yourself credit too...it's not just all about the meds. Your positive attitude is a big part of the way forward. Don't over-analyse where the positivity is coming from....placebo or not....just hold on to that good attitude & if u experience any wobbles, which is common, don't beat yourself up & think u are back at square one. It's just likely to be a pause on your journey to recovery. Keep us posted. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Ben, in my personal experience (had bouts of depression off and on for different reasons since I was 12, I'm now 36) over the years I have dealt with it by being a stubborn determined little sod and got through it on my own and other times with meds which was a longish, annoying, stressful journey until I finally found one that suited me. I almost gave up on trying medication ( I'd always felt strongly about relying on meds up until I'd tried all other options) thing is I'm so glad I gave yet another tablet one last chance as it turned out to be the one that helped me get better. Yes it takes a few weeks to get into your system and yes it may feel even longer until you notice a difference but the important thing is they will make a difference. Therapy is also a good idea and it's great you are open to that as I've never been great with talking about feelings and to be honest I always thought therapy was pretty pointless. Untill i tried it, and now I would recommend it to anyone. You sound like you are in a pretty realistic place concerning your mental health so my advice to you would be, if you truly feel like you can wait for your therapy appointment as you are then put off starting on meds. But if you feel you might not be able to fight it till then, discuss meds with your GP you can always request starting on the lowest dose. I wish you all the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.