should i try mirtazapine for my chronic insomnia if i'm not depressed?

Posted , 9 users are following.

interested in trying generic Remeron for my chronic insomnia. has anyone had experience withe generic Remeron for insomnia not caused by depression?

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Please stay away from this drug if at all possible. I have gained 35 lbs since starting it 4 years ago. I have tried to wean off several times and you about go crazy. Try something else.

• Posted

I used it for sleep and it worked great, however the side affects were horrific.....I would say if you're not depressed then I would use Ambien for Sleep.

• Posted

ambien doesen't work for me. i can't afford the brand name just the generic, and the generic didn't work for me. thanks. also-can lunesta and ambien drugs be used long term?

• Posted

you will get different answers, as people have different experiences. mirt is used to treat anxiety and depression. a side effect, is very good sedation for sleep. insomnia is generally caused by high levels of anxiety. i would recommend using mirt, but only at 7.5mg, not the first standard dose of 15mg. you always want to use the lowest possible dose. weight gain can be an issue, mainly its because people arent that happy, and eat for comfort. ive found when im doing well on anti depressants, weight gain is not an issue. when they arent working properly, then it can be. if it was myself, i would try 7.5mg, and see what its like. i would not go above this dose though, given no depression, and low anxiety, as you are not too aware of your higher anxiety.

• Posted

Please don't assume that people who gain weight on this medication are unhappy who eat for comfort. I eat extremely healthy and much less than I have in the past but still the weight piles on. It has been proven that antidepressants change a person's metabolism. I think anyone who has suffered from anxiety or depression would only give advice that is meant to help and no hurt. I wish someone would have advised me to stay away from Remeron. Yes, it gives great sleep but is the devil to get off of.

• Posted

totally agree darla, the mirt piles on the weight regardless x

• Posted

people need to take responsibility for their actions, and choices, and remember why they were pescribed medications in the first instance.. i put on 3 stone while on seroxat, because it wasnt working well, and i didnt care enough about myself or my health. i am sure it works well for others. i lost all of the 3 stone, and am now on ven and mirt. all anti depressants can cause weight gain. i realise i need medication, probably for life, i dont want to be overweight, so its my diet and excercise that that have had to change. it comes down to discipline, and taking responsibility for myself and my condition.

• Posted

nigel-thanks. i can only afford the generic Remeron, not the brand. have you used the generic or brand?

• Posted

i was very happy on mirt, exercised ate well still gained weight, google it! mist people gain weight, im now 8 stone 4 😃

• Posted

toria_07298 were you ever able to get the mirt? I am trying once again to wean off. Nausea, anxiety, and waking early is creeping back in. I am so frustrated and scared. I am afraid I will never be free of this terrible drug.

• Posted

hi darla i went cold turkey, was really bad for 4 months x

• Posted

Oh goodness! I have heard cold turkey can be really rough. So glad you were able to get off though. Gives me hope.

• Posted

it was horrendous, but possible, the citalopram is a whole new nightmare x

• Posted

toria_07298

Good luck! I pray you can get off the Citalopram. If I ever get off the mirt I will then try to get off Lexapro. I wish I had never started any of this crap.

• Posted

darla23-why were you put on mirt? and then why lexapro?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.