should i try mirtazapine for my chronic insomnia if i'm not depressed?

Posted , 9 users are following.

interested in trying generic Remeron for my chronic insomnia. has anyone had experience withe generic Remeron for insomnia not caused by depression?

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Lots of naysayers on this med. All drugs have side effects some worse than others. As for me weight gain has not been a problem. I watch my calories and exercise regularly. I will admit that my prescription is from a psychiatrist as anxiety+depression has been a lifelong problem.** For sleep it has been great!** I started at 15mg and now at 30mg. I have heard many say that it is more sedative at lower dose so if I were you I would do that. Give it a whirl and see what it does for you. If you don't like it try something else.

Sweet dreams.

• Posted

i say no because its absolutely brutal to come off and i dont believe it should be prescribed for sleep!

• Posted

it depends on the degree of insomnia. insomnia is a symptom of anxiety. chronic insomnia suggests prolonged anxiety, which needs to be treated. mirt would treat the anxiety, and provide sedation. taking mirt for insomnia would likely be over a long period. you cant take it on and off, so its not suitable for ocassional insomnia. you cant leave chronic insomnia untreated, because it could escalate into more serious anxiety and eventually depression.

• Posted

i suffer from chronic insomnia i still wouldnt suggest an antidepressant

• Posted

well i am a bit worrired about coming off of it if i shoiuld ever take it. maybe it's something you have to take forever to avoid the witdrawals?

• Posted

toria-how many hours are you sleeping a night? how bad is your chronic insomnia? mines is severe to the point i can't work.

• Posted

toria-what would you suggest? i can't take ambien or melantonin or valerian or benadryl. what do you take?

• Posted

hi tasha, ive come off mirtazapine 3 times the first 2 were fine, the last was brutal, my sleep is worse than ever as currently coming off citalopram, i take zopiclone x

• Posted

take lunesta for sleep.mirt or any of the antid.are just for depression .lunesta =sleep.mirt for depression.listen to the folks on here.and if you ran out of choices ask your doctor.about saroquel.best regards.ps they all cause weight gain because they make you crave bad carbs.

• Posted

lois-how long have you taken lunesta? i heard it can't be taken long term. have you built a tolerance to it or does it still work long term?

oh-do you take generic or brand?

• Posted

i took for one year.never build a tolerance to it .never had to wean either .no problem .i had to stop taking it because it interacted with my celexa very rare joint pain like severe.not right away but after about 8months or so the joint pain started.as soon as i stop lunesta joint pain Disappear

• Posted

yes i was on generic remeron for 4 years 7 half mg it worked well for bout 3 half years started weaning off horrible awful but i guess everyone reacts different good luck

• Posted

when you weaned off of it, did your insomnia come back?

• Posted

tac,

How did you wean off? I find the 7.5mg really hard to cut.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.