Shoulder arm wrist back

Posted , 5 users are following.

3 mo of worst pain.  5 low back hernias failed surgery.   Broke wrist twice in life and shoulder arm has 5 diagnoses all getting worse.   Shoulder impingement.  Bone islands.  Scherlosis. Tendinitis and arthritis.   Also 3 stomach wrap surgeries so how do I accept I’m dying from this? Pain not managed as all r called drug seekers to protect bad docs.   We die on their dime.  

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Holy Moly Nancy.   I'm so sorry.   This opioid problem has only taken it from those who medically need help. Here in Arizona, the Governor had a law passed that no one can get more than  5 days of opioids.  The legislature is telling doctors how to manage their patients.  Something is really wrong with this.   I'm not saying there isn't a problem, but there should be exceptions for surgical patients, cancer patient, those in Hospice and those with legitimate chronic severe pain.  Anyway, let me jump off my soapbox.  One of my friends swears by medical marijuana.  Said it has helped her back more than she ever thought.  I don't know a lot about it, but it might be worth a try to ask your doctor.  

• Posted

Honestly, the oxycodone I was prescribed that I only took for the first 3 days after my surgery, did not take the pain away. It made me constipated, bloated, loopy, and depressed. But the pain was still there. I chose not to take it after 3 days because it made me so sick. And again did not take the pain away. Too bad they think making you loopy and out of it is a good thing? There’s got to be a better way to relieve the pain. The only thing that helps me is ice ice ice ice ice. Good luck with everything.  
    • Posted

ICE is sooo important!!  Drinking lots of water, soup, and trying to eat lots of fruits helped with my recoveries and rehabs (re constipation).  I used the Oxy 60 of them but they did not really touch the pain.  They did make me feel like I stopped breathing which was freaking me out!  I used ice and iced endlessly throughout the day and night.  Frozen cans of soda, water bottles, veggies, gel packs, anything to keep it cool and push back the inflammation.  GOOD LUCK and keep your chin up as you go through the highs and lows!!  
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your  response. I am nine weeks today postop. I’ve been to three PT sessions. Each time when I leave I feel zero pain. I don’t know what she does, but she works on my muscles in my armpit, in my neck, under my wing bone, and slightly down my back. She has me do exercises, she has me on electrodes and ice at the end. All I know is every time I go to PT I feel 100% better. I’m literally sitting in my front yard right now with zero pain. Of course I cannot raise my arm passed my shoulder yet 

But the exercises that I’m doing, she has said, I have come so far in just one week. I try to do power walks when I can, run errands as much as I can. I think sitting on the couch and moping and watching TV is the worst thing. If you can walk as much as possible that helps the endorphins and blood flow through the whole body. Even my PT told me that today. 

Best of luck... I’ll post a new post @ 10 weeks!

• Posted

I can’t take this pain.   Mri today was hell.  
  • Posted

Heat won’t help?  Gonna die from this.  Cannot take pain.   How do u suffer for 3 yrs? I can’t function at all.  Pain too extreme.  
    • Posted

What is going on I can’t believe that it’s been three years? 

I’m no nine weeks postop. I have a little ache not a lot of pain and I’m trying to be as active as possible if I have a lot of pain, I take Tylenol and Advil at the same time lots of ice and Jacuzzi  Every morning. 

What’s happening to you?? 😔

• Posted

Got call today.  Have large rotator cuff tear so surgery is the 23nd and they finally called in pain med.   terrified of surgery.   Any tps and advice much appreciated.   
    • Posted

Oh gosh....that was me but i didn’t have to wait to find out how big the tear was. Just how my dr works. 

Get plenty of sweats. That’s what you will be wearing. Make sure you have someone taking care of you 24/7 for the first week.... maybe 2?

The first week for me personally was the worst pain.... and it is indeed a S L O W process. But it will get better in time and better for sure than you  are now! Good luck with it all!

• Posted

Depending on your situation, anything you can do ahead of time helps.  Make and freeze some meals etc.  My husband is not a cook in any stretch of the imagination..  So when I made dinner, I would make double and I bought these TV dinner trays at Walmart.  They have 4 compartments.  I used those to freeze dinners.  Made soups and froze those too.   Make sure you have some slip on shoes, some blouses that button so you can leave them open.  I bought camisoles with built in bras that you can step into and pull up and then a blouse over that, with it open.  Stretchy pants are a must, forget about socks.  If you have a recliner you will be spending a couple of weeks sleeping there.  If not, get a wedge for the bed and have  lots of pillows.   And ice packs...more than one.  If you get a nerve block, and you probably will, it wears off in about 24 hours or less.  Start taking your  pain med BEFORE it wears off.  I made  that mistake before and ended up in the emergency room getting morphine.   Learned my lesson, and for this surgery it went smooth by taking pain meds early.  Speaking of that, start taking stool  softeners the day before surgery and  keep taking them while you are taking pain meds.  Try not to worry too much, you are on the way to feeling better and being out of pain.   Take is slow, don't overdo anything especially the first couple of weeks.  Good luck to you.

• Posted

Oh sorry Nancy.  Try to remember you are on  your way to feeling better.   Yes there is pain, but it's managable and  at least in my case, not as bad as the pain prior to surgery.  Good luck to you.  Let us know how you are doing.

• Posted

Lots of water, fresh fruit, soup daily will help avoid constipation from the pain pills. I didn't poop for several days...it happens. Don't panic it took 60 minutes or longer to poop once it finally was ready to come out. Take your time. Drink lots of water eats 4or more fruits daily. I went through shoulder surgery twice 2017same shoulder. The second one I was smart and followed the water, fruit, chicken soup regime. It made a difference. Good luck and post again when your up to it.

• Posted

I wore scrubs, sweats, shorts, fleece jackets and sleeveless shirts. Don't freak out when you change the bandages either. Oh and a long handled bath brush is helpful!

• Posted

Wow.. we obviously have totally different Drs

I Never touched a bandage..  I went  I the day after,  The doctor removed the bandages put on new ones and I didn’t see him again for three weeks. Also as far as the constipation. I found absolutely nothing helped the only thing that helped was stopping those pain medications. Which didn’t really take the pain away anyway all they do is make you loopy constipated and nauseous. 

• Posted

The night of my first repair surgery - I ripped two tendons completely off the humeral head (the ball) and ripped a third halfway off the ball in a goofy accident - the saline solution oozed out through the five incisions along with blood. I called my Dr at 945 pm and he calmly talked me through. it's ok saline solution is draining. Day three the bandages come off. My 88 yr old mom a retired registered nurse and nursing instructor at a local college assisted me with the removal. She gasped as we removed the huge compression triage bandage. The bandage looked like it was removed from a ww ii wounded soldier. The incisions were fine. Black, blue, green colors. I took my shower after drying off covered the incisions with bandaids.

The revision surgery five months later the result of one of the repaired tendons ripping off the ball, did not have the icky bandage. The same type of bandage but it was clean as a whistle white on day three removal.

In any event shoulder surgery isn't any fun. It's a journey of wits, tears, cussing. I never had shoulder issues. Currently, ten months out of the revision surgery I am pain free with full range of motion. Strength is returning. I'm still tentative with overhead lifting but improving.

• Posted

Holy cow! That’s a horrifying story.  I guess  I should have said  I had orthoscopic surgery !

So just 4 tiny “dots “ as incisions and now you can’t even see a scar.

Sounds like yours was MUCH more invasive.

It’s amazing now what surgeons can do now.

They used to cut you open for repairs like  I had.

Glad to hear in less than 1 year you’re so much better! Gives me hope 

• Posted

Ugh I  would have hated to go back to the doctor the day after.  It's a little over 1 hour drive each way.  I was instructed to remove the bandages 2 days after surgery.  It was pretty shocking.  I had arthroscopic too but a couple of the holes had to be enlarged and required sutures.  I agree with you about the pain meds.  I took them the first 2 days and that was it.  Not that I wasn't in pain, but the pain was better than the side effects.  Ice was my best friend.

• Posted

Oh my goodness...that would scared me half to death.  My first surgery wasn't so messy, but this one was as he  had to enlarge a couple of the little holes to get the instruments in and put in a cadaver graft, so it was a little more extensive.  The bandage was disgusting and made me gasp too.  Glad to hear you are better.  I'm being extra cautious this time cause, like you, I've had surgery 2 times in the last year.  I never want  to do this again.

• Posted

It wasn’t a big deal at all. My doctors only a couple miles away, and my daughter drove me I was still in my hospital gown! Ha ha

Yes I’m still doing ice quite often. 

I think the dressing was a little bloody but I have no sutures at all I had Steri-Strips. My doctor is extremely articulate and wants to make everything easy. Thank goodness 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.