SHRINKING

Posted , 8 users are following.

Does everything shrink along with your vagina? This is driving me nuts! I think everything below is. Is anybody else having this problem in post menopause? I am 57. I love having sex. But, this is major problem.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes Melinda, many women have this problem.  They say that 50% of all women have vaginal atrophy (shrinking) and dryness.  I seriously think the percentage is much much higher, but most women post meno don't go in for regular vag exams, don't care about their sex life, and don't talk about it.  

I always LOVED sex.  I'll never forget the first time I had painful sex, what a shocker!!!   A very unpleasant shocker!  And this didn't happen immediately at menopause, it took a few years before it happened.  And yes, it's a major problem.  This is because even when we are in meno (1 year without periods) our ovaries are still producing some estrogen, at least for a few years.  But as time goes by, we continue to produce less and less.  

Honestly I didn't have any real meno symptoms, like hot flashes and night sweats at menopause.  I thought I skated through.  And the things that were a problem I didn't associate with menopause, like chronic muscle pain. I was tested for everything under the sun, but not one doctor thought to ask about menopause.  It wasn't until the atrophy and dryness set in that I was given vaginal Estrace and all the muscle pain went away.  

This whole thing totally stinks.  I hate it too.  

• Posted

I finally get to talk to somebody that uses Estrace! I will go back to it. I hurt so bad I could not sit down, but I had yeast infection with an uti same time. My sex life has suffered from this stinking stuff. My husband is afraid he will hurt me. I have tried otc moisturizers, but none has worked except coconut oil. Crazy but it works. How long have you been using Estrace? I am postmenopause. I have had more problems now, then at the beginning of this journey. Thank you so much.
  • Posted

Melinda, my story is not all happy!  So I'll tell ALL.  But I also want you to know that many MANY women use vaginal Estrace with great results and no problems.  

I had vaginal dryness and some painful sex for over a year.  I was given vaginal Estrace in 2013, but used it very rarely because I didn't really like how I felt using it.  A year later, upon exam,  the problem was even worse.  So I came home dedicated to using it regularly.  I couldn't stand the full amount prescribed (1gr.)  so I used about half that amount every other day. It took about two weeks and I started noticing some wonderful things.  My hair started growing again, my nails got thick and strong like they used to be, I was sleeping like a champ again, and I felt great.  My sense of humor came back, and all the muscle pain went away.  Then unfortunately .........my scalp started itching and my hair started falling out badly.  I saw a dermatologist who said it was the Estrace and told me to stop using it.  My hair didn't stop falling out till I used some progesterone.  So I have gone to an endocrinologist who put me on systemic estrogen and progesterone.  

Again, this is my story.  But I know plenty of women who use it will great results and NO problems.  Don't give up because if you let this go, it will get worse.  I've heard of women who even had difficulty walking because of the pain with vaginal atrophy and dryness.  No one should live like that.     

• Posted

I am so sorry you had to go through all that pain and side effects. Thank you for sharing such private information with me. I will start back on the Estrace with caution. I have other health issues that I have to monitor. But, having va is painful and causes other issues. I have lost 28 pounds in 15 months and started watching what I eat and drink. Thank you again.
  • Posted

I've been diagnosed with Lichen sclerosis but after visiting here I'm feeling unsure. My dr never did a biopsy. I'm 47 and had a Hysterectomy a few years ago. 

• Posted

I am 57 and have all parts. I haven't had any biopsies. But, va is very uncomfortable. The dryness, parts going smaller, etc. But, there is hope! This site and the ladies here have helped me more than I can say. Ask.

• Posted

Yes, scribe your symptoms and other who have had similar can let you know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.