Side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Its already 6 months that i took cipro 500 mg / twice a day . It affected  my hearing badly ( caused severe hearing loss + ringing in both ears ) ,i do not have any other problems . I wanted to know that after 6 months of taking cipro  is there any possibility that other symptoms will show up.Severe Hearing loss is enough to destroy my life .

Regards

Raycip

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It is possible that you might get tendon problems. These can show up months later
  • Posted

I don't think much more could happen as my husbands symptoms came in after 3 weeks and have not change . What you need to do is feed your body all the MINERALS & Vitamins it needs to recover . Don't forget to get your B12 checked after 1 year post cipro and your testosterone if you are a male . Plenty of filtered water and organic meat only as other meat is given cipro. Don't eat farmed prawns as they too have been given cipro . You might find that as you have only had cipro the once your body will heal . Lots of people my husband included were given it more than once and it is these people who can react a lot worse as their body is so overloaded . Don't put your body under too much physical and mental stress . Find good quality vits and mins and take religiously .

• Posted

Not all people have this pattern of reaction. Tendon ruptures can happen months after taking fluoroquinolones even without much indication of problems beforehand. Many people report new symptoms cropping up over a year after stopping taking the drug. One of the problems with these adverse reactions is that they are very individual. Some people have very debilitating mental symptoms ,others only physical ,some a mixture of the two. Some people recover in six months ,others are still badly affected after six years.
    • Posted

I realise that some symptoms take a while but most are normally there within the first 6 months . It's whether or not patients link their symptom to a drug they took 6 months earlier .There are other symptoms that appear months after taking a FQ and that is candida of the gut that presents some problems with fatigue skin problems and many more some debilitating . The problems that crop up after the year will be low B12 low magnesium as FQ chelate them .My husband went down hill after 6 months as it was the absence of many essential vitamins and minerals that were depleted from his body. This is why it is so important to put them back in the early stages of being floxed rather than a year or so later when you make the connection .

• Posted

It's possible for other symptoms to manifest themselves months after finishing Cipro.  There's evidence that it affects your gut flora for up to twelve months!  There are the normal patterns of symptoms and then there are unusual symptoms outside the patterns, of course.  To have hearing loss but nothing else though, is unusual.  The symptoms can come in later as more and more mitochondria are lost without being able to replicate.  Eventually enough are lost to make an impact - sometimes described as a bomb going off. 

Having said this, not everyone is affected in this way, and maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones not to have any tendon or muscle damage.  Just make sure you NEVER take any Ibuprofen (which can kickstart adverse reactions) or any stroids (ditto) for a very long time.  Go to the discussion  

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305

where you'll find a lot of information about symptoms plus some useful website addresses.  Good luck, and I hope your hearing improves with time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.