Side effects from Apixaban

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have been on apixaban for a month, most days I feel a slight sickness, feel dizzy and have a headache and ferl slightly anxious.

Tonight all these feeling have been really bad, I have felt really ill for about 4 hours. Anyone else have these side effects from apixaban?

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi when I first started on apixiban I felt really ill, was also so anxious as read so many reports about not being able to stop bleeding etc, do you take it with food? I find if I have mine after breakfast and then after evening meal then its better. I still get the occasional odd day feeling sick etc but also have fibromyalgia and that can cause it as well. Riveroxaban was even worse for me I nearly passed out with that so was changed to apixaban. I'd say give it a while longer and hopefully you will start to feel better.

• Posted

Hi heatherrosina,

I have not been too bad over the month, I have felt mild sickness, headache, dizziness and feeling anxious. I do take it will food. I was given it for clot in the lung after a hip replacement. Tonight all these feelings have been really bad and scary. I will not take it tonight and call doctors in the morning.

• Posted

Been on apixaban 2 months now take mine 9am and 21.00. Have tablets for my stomach to stop the sickness, are you on beta blockers cos that’s what causes my dizzy spells
    • Posted

Hi paul,

No I am not on beta blockers just apixaban for blood clots in the lungs due to a hip replacement. Since starting it I have had mild dizziness, sickness and headache off and on, not all day but, this evening and tonight everything was really bad, just feel so ill, funny how things happen when the doctors are closed.

• Posted

Just recently had cardioversion. Seems since my hearts been in nsr seem to handle meds better.sure once you’ve been on them a while you’ll be better
    • Posted

I would have though a month was long enough for the body to get used to taking a tablet. Looking at reviews for apixaban people do seem to get problems the longer they take it.
    • Posted

Hey Jen

I have been on Pradaxa for 1 year now. My biggest side effect is the rashes. I have gotten some what embarrassed about them. I have them on my legs and hands. They are like blotches of red pimples. They don't itch at all. I have headaches but due to arthritis in my neck. I take 150 mg 2x day. I am going to see if I can lower dose. I had blood clots in both lungs. I was in ICU 3 days. I hate taking it. Does anyone else have a rash problem?

• Posted

Charlene, are you on anti coagulants for life, that worries me leaving people on them so long, I was prescribed them for 3 months which is the drug companies recommendation for the first clot. My sister-in-law had a brain bleed because she had been on them for years. They are pushing the newer drugs because they make more money than from warfarin as the patent ran out.
    • Posted

Hello jen it seems that the GP's and certainly the dvt clinic are leaning towards the newer drugs rather than go down the warfarin route.

• Posted

I did read mike that the makers of apixaban pfizer and bristol myers squibb did not make as much money as predicted when first released. After a big push they are making good profits which is why so many doctors push this drug now regardless of the side effects.
  • Posted

I recently suffered my second dvt for which i was prescribed rivaroxaban which made me bleed heavily after visiting my gp I was prescribed edoxaban my bleeding continued but not so heavily again visited gp who eventually referred me for a colonoscopy which i recently had and clear nothing found!.

A further drug was prescribed apixaban this is the current drug I am using twice a day  I get occasional bleeding but not nearly as severe as the two previous drugs.  I have been informed that I can continue to take apixaban or come off it completely!..........warfarin etc was not mentioned and it seemed to me there was a reluctance to prescribe it.  The side effects for me are: still bleed on occasion,tiredness,poor night's sleep,and an occasional headache plus a pain in lower left side first thing in mornings.

I have been using apixaban for 4 months I had none of these issues before taking the dvt drug my dvt's started sometime after minor surgery on both left and right feet.

• Posted

Hi mike,

I went do the doctors this morning and told him I was not taking the apixaban any more. I explained it gave me dizziness, headaches, sickness, body shaking inside, depression. He wanted me to take warfarin, I declined, he said it is a risk. I explained I wanted to try natural anti coagulants along with my exercises, he told me to take ginger root and to go hospital if I suspect a clot.

I find life taking parmaceutical drugs hard and when you get on them, they only get increased and the side effects destroy your body.

So now I am praying I can stay healthy.

• Posted

Jen I know how you feel, my apixaban is being reduced to 2.5mg twice a day soon, my dvt's were unprovoked so have to be more careful as no idea why I've had them, I would take nattokinase, cannabis oil, cayenne pepper all these are natural thinners, good luck.

• Posted

Nattokinase heatherosina seems to be have good reviews for on working on the blood chemistry, I may look at that. I have started taking the bromelain, ginger and cider vinegar. I am still getting headaches and dizziness today which I am assuming is from the apixaban but no sickness.
    • Posted

yes I've done quite a lot of research on it, could also consult a homeopath as there are several remedies that can help as well smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.