Side effects from Carvedidol

Posted , 3 users are following.

My goodness where do I start .For several yrs. I've been taking BP meds .Amlodipine and Carvedidoil I thought amlodipine cause my lower back pain. Recently the doctor increased my dose 10 milligrams twice a day I have been in severe lower back pain going to an acupuncturist which hasn't helped much I can't sleep at night because my back lower back pain is so bad I woke up this morning thinking perhaps it's carvedidol. That's causing this lower back pain has anyone experienced this with this. This medicine if so please let me know I'm ready to stop it right now even without the doctor's permission I can't work I can't function I can't do anything the doctor said I had some lower lumbar problem but this is never been this severe like this

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

chris21802...First of all, I'm astounded that your doctor increased your dose of Amlodipine to 10mg 2x/daily. I've never heard of that. So, you're taking 20mg..unbelievable. Amlodipine is known for it's side effects of swollen feet/ankles/lower legs, especially at the higher doses. You didn't state how long you've been taking the Carvedidol, but of course the Amlodipine was recently increased. I'm not a physican, but I'd guess the culprit to your problem is the high dose of Amlodipine. 

Tell me,..what was the reason for increasing the Amlodipine to such a high dosage. Any physician worth his/her salt knows that the higher the dosage, the more likely there will be side effects. How much Carfedidol are you taking???

If the Amlodipine truly isn't doing it's job..there are other meds out there...i.e. Valsartan, Irbesartan, etc..which are in the class of ARB's. There are also ACE's such as Perindopril (or Coversyl), Lisinopril, etc...but a common side effect to ACE's is a hard dry cough. Not everyone experiences that of course, just that some do. Instead of the ridiculous increase of the Amlodipine your doctor could have prescribed a mild diuretic.

I'm very surprised by all of this..

• Posted

My BP. was quite high at a Dr appt .Dr increased amlodipine.I am on a diuretic. I have another doctor appointment I will tell her to switch me to another medication unfortunately government insurance is not very good neither are the some of the doctors. I have to be careful what meds I take because I am on coumadin which is a blood thinner even for pain I cannot take Ibuprofen only Tylenol nuts really hard so I just use a lot of heating pads and suffer through and pray a lot however this is going to stop. Thank you for your care and concern
    • Posted

I made a mistake on the amlodipine dosage amlodipine is 10 mg per day Carvedilol was increased from 10mg 2 times a day Carvedilol does not have those side effects that amlodipine has there are some that are similar I actually went off and lodipine for 10 days because I couldn't get prescribed from the doctor I don't think it made a big difference maybe it takes a long time to get this poison out of your system. I'm in extreme amount of pain in my lower back I'm working on getting this stuff out of my system and off of it

• Posted

chris21802...even at 10mg of Amlodipine...the side effects most certainly CAN manifest themselves. A few years back I was prescribed 5mg Amlodipine...the reduction in bp wasn't holding, so my Dr. at the time increased the dosage to 10mg. Result?...badly swollen feet/ankles & legs below the knee. 

You're taking a total of 20mg Carvedilol...that may not be the cause of your problem..but I strongly suspect the Amlodipine.

One beta blocker that does not cross the BBB is Atenolol. I take Atenolol & don't have a problem. A few years back I was taking Metropolol & suffered horrible headaches. A pharmacist friend of mine told me that the Metropolol crosses the BBB, & the Atenolol does not so perhaps the Atenolol would be better for me..The rest is history.

RHGB is quite correct. Amlodipine is a Calcium Channel Blocker, not a Beta Blocker. Metropolol, Atenolol ARE beta blockers. Remember, if it ends in lol...it's a beta blocker.

• Posted

Thank you Mike,

I am pretty sure it is amlodipine because Carvedilol does not have this particular side effect I have been going to a acupuncturist and they said you'll have pain before you get better not too much better thank you for the ammunition I am now loaded with it and I will go to my doctor and demand

• Posted

And I think if they end in pine, then they are CCBs.

I was quite horrified when I found the number of BBs & CCBs that cross the BBB. Amlodipine is one of the few that doesn't readily cross, but the replacement they gave me, felodipine does.

I used to have atenolol when I was younger and don't ever remember it affecting me. But these new classes of BB & CCB can leave someone completely, fatigued, lethargic and depressed all the time.

And yes, I had the customary swollen ankles on amlodipine. I always wondered why the diuretic I was taking didn't stop it, but then someone on here said that the way amlodipine causes oedema, diuretics can't stop it.

• Posted

RHGB...You're right...I've heard about the differences between Amlodipine & Felodipine. Actually, Amlodipine is the generic form of Norvasc. 

Where the edema is concerned with Amlodipine...diuretics won't flush that, because the swelling isn't caused lymphatically. 

• Posted

Thanks for that. The term 'lymphatically' was enough for me to look up and learn about it.

The phrase 'capillary pressure leading to leakage into interstitial areas' jumped out and from that I could do more research.

'These conditions can cause inadequate pumping of the blood by the veins (venous insufficiency). The resulting increased back-pressure in the veins forces fluid stay in the extremities (especially the ankles and feet). The excess fluid then leaks into the interstitial tissue spaces, causing oedema'.

This helped explain it and also why I ended up with venous eczema.

Thank you.

• Posted

Well, I was on amlodipine, carvedilol and a diuretic (spironolactone) and it was the amlodipine that was causing me the problems. Amlodipine has a number of known side effects. Carvedilol has less well published side effects, such as depression, fatigue, muscle pain, cramps and possibly nightmares (it crosses the blood brain barrier).

It is crossing the BBB that can cause the CNS to have side effects.

Amlodipine is not a beta blocker, it is a calcium channel blocker. It has its own forum here:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/amlodipine-2497

You will find many more posts there than you will in this part.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.