side effects of 1 ovary being removed??

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice... I am having surgery in 3 weeks to remove a 11cm complex ovarian cyst. It needs to be tested once removed. I had a CT scan which showed no cancer around the ovary and cyst but they told me the final test is to test the cyst once removed. My CA125 was 59. I'm so worried about the whole situation I'm only 25 and have a 10 week old baby that currently is not taking bottles so I don't know what I am going to do when I'm in hospital for surgery sad anyway I also am having my right ovary remove so does anyone know the side effects of this o has anyone been through this that can tell me what to expect? Thanks

2 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone, I had nt surgery Thursday 16th April just gone. The hospital was fantastic and the surgeon was brilliant she spoke to me before the op and after. I live in bolton (the uk).

I was on morphene the first night and couldn't walk on my own the Friday morning after but by Friday night I could walk to the toilet and back alone and then yesterday they let me home and I have managed the stairs and getting around at home smile

The surgeon said the cyst she removed was a dermoid cyst which are mostly benign but it still needs sending away to be tested but she's not worried. She said the cyst had slightly twisted so my eight ovary had to be removed as it was not functioning and the fallopian tube was removed with it. She said my left side is all healthy and my fertility rate will be exactly the same. She also said there is nothing to suggest I will go in menopause any earlier with just one ovary.

The fact I know all this no I feel like I have won the lottery!! I am currently on Ibrophen, paracetamol and codeane buy the fact I know I am recovering and will get better is giving me so much strength. Thank you for those of you who put my mind at rest. Hopefully I can put this behind me now once recovered smile smile

• Posted

Hi Beck

That is great news! It sounds like you are doing really well. You will have good days and bad days so make sure you don't overdo early on. Get lots of rest but try and keep moving which it sounds like you are. And definitely stick to the not lifting anything heavier than a kettle and no driving for 6 weeks. It feels really frustrating at the time but it definitely worth it for a good and strong recovery.

Philippa x

• Posted

I do seem to get out of breath if I'm talking or if I go to the toilet and back is that all normal? I will do anything for a quick recovery so il definitely stick to the rules smile
    • Posted

Yes that is normal, your body is putting all of its energy into healing so you won't have much energy for anything else. All the painkillers won't be helping either with energy levels, once you cut those down you should feel more with it (but don't stop the stronger ones until whenever ur doc said to) I think I was on codeine and a morphine based one for about two weeks, after that I felt a lot less spaced out and tired. I was told I could keep taking paracetamol for as long as I needed, and it's pretty good actually after years of thinking it did nothing!
    • Posted

Thanks Philippa smile i can't wait to recover and be able to hold my baby girl again smile onwards and upwards now smile smile smile
  • Posted

Results came back from my op, the cyst was benign so I need no further care or treatment. Yayyy I feel like I have won the lottery smile smile smile smile

• Posted

WOOOO-HOOOO! Wonderful news Beck! I'm truly delighted to read that you are at home recovering and making good progress. I am a bit ahead of you, at 12 weeks post-op now, and practically back to normal. I have been bouncing a friend's baby and even doing exercise and such, so hopefully you'll be there soon too. Go us! :D :D :D
    • Posted

Aww great news smile smile we will be stronger week by week yayyy smile smile
  • Posted

Hi everyone, I was rushed into hospital a couple of weeks ago with severe stomach pain. I thought I had a bug, some sickness and diarrea. I literally crawled around. After 2 days I rang the nhs helpline in the night. She said I'm in so much pain because I keep going to the toilet, and not to go to Drs as its a bug.Though hours after I'd stopped, I was still in agony so did get a Drs appt. the dr immediately rang hospital and got me a bed.   

After 2 days of tests, scans, severe vomiting, i was very poorly. I went to surgery, at this point possible appendix though had bad infection. They explained they will do keyhole, if need be a vertical cut. So off I went. I woke up with I big cut and keyhole. I had my left ovary and tube remove. A cyst which had burst(I'm not sure of the correct terms) they had to work on my bowel Also. 

So after 10 days in hospital, I came to my dads to be looked after. They leave you to it really. A week later, my outer staples (lots of) are healing well. I don't know how I should feel? My stomach Is swollen, feels really tender inside, low down and uncomfortable, feels like it's going to pop out. I'm worried because I've finished my antibiotics, in case the infection comes back. 

im not sure how much I should do to help my recovery? I've being going downstairs and sitting, having a little walk. Usually to the loo. I had a walk in the garden yesterday. I've being so weak but that's improving.  It's all so unexpected, and a shock so I'm not prepared. Any advice will be appreciated, thank you

• Posted

I've posted a new discussion ladies thank you 
  • Posted

Hi all... Here...... I am anxious father of patient. My daughter had to undergo a Laprotonomy and her left ovary along with the developed cyst of 8mm size been removed, as there was no other option(her surgeon adviced). Here my anxiety is that... she is just of 16 years old and how about her future life.. the family life ? Can anybody experienced guide me?  
    • Posted

Hi Suresh

Your daughters fertility will be fine. If she had a cyst on the ovary it is unlikely the ovary was functioning properly anyway. She still has the other ovary and Fallopian tube. The other ovary will still produce the necessary hormones and she can still conceive naturally.

I would just suggest to have a scan yearly and manage it in that way. 1 in 4 woman have cysts. It is common- do you know the type of cyst?

• Posted

Hi All..

I also have a very large cyst on my right ovary and a new small one on my left.. my operation will be in 3 weeks. They will remove my right ovary totally and the new growth cyst on the left one. Im so worried about not having a child. Im only 28 years old with no child. 😢

• Posted

Hey i had the same situation last week my ovary was removed through a laparotomy the cyst was 12 cm the left 1 of the small incision on my belly was slightly cut bigger and it was very painful the first 3 days. As you beggin to walk it gets less. I did get my period this week and it is extreamly painful and heavy i havent had it this bad since i was a teenager i dont have a follow up until the 13 th of this month.
  • Posted

Hi all,

I know this is late but I’m having surgery in the next 1-2 months to remove a dermoid cyst on my right ovary. I am 16 years old and training as a dancer and I’m just really worried about the surgery and the symptoms afterwards, as I’m not sure how long I will be off dance for. I’m just finding is very stressful and am wondering if anyone has any advice of how to reduce pre-operational anxiety etc... thank youu 

• Posted

I just had surgery the 18th of December and have a 4 inch incision. I’ve been more active than most recently because I refuse to heal slowly. They removed a 17 cm cyst along with an ovary and Fallopian tube. Stomach is still tender but I stopped taking all meds 4 days ago. I feel pretty good but get tired easily. I know everyone is different with how they heal but I’m ready to start working out again and have some normalcy. You will be fine but do give your body time to heal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.