side effects of amlodopine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Have recently developed very swollen ankles and shin rash .have been on Amlodopine for years as I had slightly raised BP but also have white coat syndrome.i checked my BP and it was low so came off my Amlodopine and my ankle swelling reduced quickly .have monitored my BP and it remains low.my doctor says I can continue to monitor BP for a month  without medication.am wondering that I have been treated unnecessarily for years on a medication that has given me some really bad side effects.(unable to sleep,hallucinations,bad dreams,swollen joints ,anxiety to name a few.)when all along the white coat syndrome has raised my BP at the doctors.today it was 110/65 and that was after a mile and a half walk.the doctors put you on these meds as they say they protect you from stroke etc.i just hope I am not puttingmy body under pressure by coming off them.i would be very grateful for any help in this matter.thank you

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

In my opinion they’re all poisen. Everyone suffers awful stuff from these meds Although there is a small percentage that seem to do well on them I believe they are giving out too quick for stuff that could be treat it naturally with a few dietary changes and exercise

Did you taper off this medication or did you stop it cold turkey ? 

I have white coat hypertension as wel. Was given Metoprolol and it was a NIGHTMARE 

I carefully tapered off of this medication under my doctors care and believe me it was hell but now I am feeling much better from the hall I deal with some tiny residual issues but I’m working on those 

You’re blood pressure is awesome 

What are your readings when you go to the doctor

• Posted

Hello Tee 19..thank you for your reply.my BP was raised when I was nursing my parents so even though I had white coat syndrome they started me on Amlodopine as my kidney function was decreasing slightly.i lost 4 stones at slimmers world andthe high protein diet reduced my kidney function to 41 percent which has caused some problems, BP stayed level at about 125/75.recently my ankles started to swell dramatically(seemingly a side effect of Amlodopine)and one day I didn’t take my tabs and my ankles started to go down and my BP stayed low.thought ,why am I suffering all these side effects when my BP seems to remain low without the tabs.so I went cold turkey for a week and lo and behold my BP remains low ( even when I went back to the docs) and is 110/65 most days.my doctor is allowing me to keep off Amlodopine and check my BP twice daily for a month.the only thing is GPsin Britain are paid for every one they  prescribe blood pressure tabs and statins ,so are eager to keep you on medication.they say it protects your heart and helps prevent stroke ,so not taking them ,makes you feel you are not doing the best thing for your body .as you say looking after your body with diet and exercise is beneficial if you can keep your BP down.just wondered if many people have come off Amlodopine and kept their BP low without having to have further BP medication.thank you.
    • Posted

Hi Tee 19 have just read some of your posts and wish I’d read them earlier before I came off my meds.fortunately my BP was low and continued to be low and I started to feel better without any side effects ..unlike some who are really having problems.wish I had seen this forum a long time ago ..I didn’t know some Amlodopine had been recalled and that so many people were suffering with the side effects it causes.i have had 3 periods of erratic heart beat and each time I was told it was anxiety.!
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth. That’s terrible they are paid to keep people on meds. These med in my opinion are awful. If you are feeling better off this dreadful drug I say stick to that. Tell your Doc. Sorry they will be short changed but Your well-being and health and peace of mind is more important than taking a pill that doesn’t do anything but harm you. I truly would tell them no more med 

Your BPs are great. ??

I hate anyone to suffer on bad med. I went through it with Metoprolol. A total nightmare 

I hope you don’t have to stay on it. You seem to be much better off it 

Love the U.K. 🇬🇧 have dear friends in Scotland. Have visited England Ireland and Scotland years ago. 

Hoping the best for you. Please keep me posted. 

• Posted

I actually had to be put on Aprazolam (Xanax) low dose to get through the anxiety of what the Metoprolol did to me. It was awful 

While I do have a bit of anxiety due to serving in two combat zones as a Nurse I was dealing with it. Then came this horrific BP drug and everything went bad quick. I’m so thankful it’s out of my system 

Yes please read my other posts as there’s lots of info 

Now to appease my doc I’m doing excercise even though I don’t need to lose any weight but it’s difficult with MS and I end up with a headache afterwards but trying to show her it won’t matter When it comes to my BP because I truly feel I suffer from a form of white coat hypertension not to mention I have always run a little high and other doctors in the past never did anything about it because they didn’t feel it was something that warranted medication

When it comes to my BP because I truly feel I suffer from a form of white coat hypertension not to mention I have always run a a little high and other doctors in the past never did anything about it because they didn’t feel it was something that warranted medication 

Hope you’re able to speak with your doctor soon 

• Posted

I forgot to say that the BP drug caused me terrible anxiety even worse when I tapered off it. I got through it with the help of my hubby and great people on this site 
    • Posted

Hi Tee19 you seem to have had a really tough time with your meds..hopefully you are feeling much stronger now.it must have been very difficult for you working in combat zones as a nurse and went through enough without being put on a medication that caused so many problems.iam a retired nurse midwife and the effects of Amlodopine made me feel so mentally ill I really felt like giving up sometimes.i received treatment for my anxiety ,sleeplessness ,nightmares,fear of death,hair loss from a homeopath and has worked really well.perhaps this with weight loss has reduced my blood pressure though it was only at the doctors when it rose.thank you for your all your advice .i live near the Lake District and not too far from Scotland in fact we were up at gretnagreen the other day.pleasekeep in touch I value your good advice.ElizabethT
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I was just prescribed this medication January for HBP. How long were you on it before developing symptoms of the erratic heartbeats and any other symptoms? They prescribed me 5mg and a few weeks later upped it to 10mg. Since then, I to had erratic heartbeats once so far after a workout. Took a good 30 minutes to an hour to calm down. Which in turn has made me panicky and anxiety has been at an all time high. Not 100% this is related to the drug or not. 

• Posted

Go back to your doc asap and demand a different medication. There are plenty of others. If they refuse then change your doctor. The side effects of these are nasty and get worse. 
    • Posted

Hi WhatzNex I have been on Amlodopine since 2015 and within days developed vertigo,swollen ankles,extreme tiredness ,and painfull joints.The tachycardia episode started through the night after a fortnight of being on the pills.it was so frightening it left me rigid with fear and took 5 hours to subside.have had 2 more frightening episodes always through the night so decided to cut out all caffeine ,alcohol and was advised to take   Pill in evening.
    • Posted

Thanks Mrsspot,

So side effects develop as times goes on? They dont not have to start instantly after taking the meds? My first couple of weeks of working out (Basketball), my body felt weird. I chalked it up to be out of shape from the winter. But it felt weirder this time around. This sucks. 

• Posted

Elizabeth,

Sorry you had to go through that. That sucks. Thanks for the information. 

• Posted

Amlodipine (and Losartan) wrecked my legs. Seriously. I already had high heavy metals from exposures at work, so that combined with this BP drug. My BP was high because I was in pain! from a tooth/jaw infection which was being successfully treated with antibiotics.

I had most of the side effects that you listed. They were so severe I fell down and could not get up and had to schooch to my phone to call 911. After one month and 11 days I refused to take it any more. Then things got better. But 5 months later, that bad doctor prescribed a bad drug cocktail of Losartin and Wellbutrin (I actually just needed a hip replacement) which landed me (within 10 days!) into the emergency center where they actually put me on suicide watch! Gads, they did not even check my blood salt level. Drugs can seriously lower one's blood salts causing all sorts of wreckage. I found out later that it was 124. You'd think that if I can learn how to read blood test results the doctors could too. 

It was the medical assistants and nurses who knew. My advice is to make friends with them! They are great and a wonderful source of valuable information. Much better than the doctors! Much much much better for the patient. Surgeons know how to cut (and that is fabulous when we need that) but medical assistants and nurses know how to do care. 

So now it is 3 years since the emergency experience and I have refused to take any BP drugs since - and certainly went off that Welbutrin too! I am working on getting my leg function back. Some progress. Elizabeth, I can hear that you are asking in earnest, and I am telling you that you might not need those heavy duty BP drugs. Lower salt (as opposed to electrolytes) works. Taking off a bit of extra weight (if one can), moving around (if one can), having a few blessed calm emotions/feelings a day, and beginning and ending each day with a feeling of gratitude - that all helps!! So does a sense of humor about all those bad doctors! 

Best wishes for your health and life! K

• Posted

Thank you for your good advice Katherine it gives me hope knowing you can come off BP tabs and survive by doing those certain measures you describe.am trying to lose more weight and get walking more and I will watch my salt intake.so sorry to hear about the awful effect Amlodopine did to your body .you have worked so hard to get where you are today ..best wishes to you and thank you for your advice.Elizabeth T
  • Posted

I stupidly stopped taking mine 2 weeks ago. My bp went sky high. However, all those horrible side effects have nearly gone. No joint pain, no muscle ache, no skin probs, no chest pain, clearer vision, no palpitations, no cramp, insomnia, yet extremely tired. Etc etc. The list goes on. Before my ecg was fine, the withdrawel affects have driven my heart potty and given me an extra beat. It was normal during first few days, my pulse returned to normal after an average of 40. Then it started climbing until last friday it was 160/100 and after a tablet under the tongue at the docs, it went up to 160/120. Another half tablet and an injection got it low enough for me to go home. I spent the weekend seriously worried if it would ever go down. 

My husband takes them, he is fine. I was not fine. I have never felt so ill in my life before. New tablets and I feel on top of the world. 

So yes, please be careful that they have done no damage, and I wish you luck. And high protein causes your kidneys into overdrive, I ended up peeing blood. Not pleasant. 

Looking forward to a normal life again now. 

• Posted

Hello mrsspot..what a terrible experience you have had ..luckily my BP has stayed down and no side effects except I feel so much better.its terrible that something prescribed to help has caused heart problems after you stopped taking it . I experienced an erratic heart beat whilst on Amlodopine and made sure I had no alcohol or caffeine which helped.i do hope you have no lasting effects to your body after your terrible experience coming off your medication and your BP is now settled on your new pills..
    • Posted

Thanks, its not been pleasant. Cardio says I can drink a small amount of alcohol and have already ditched caffeine. I am hoping that it won’t cause long lasting problems and can only wait and see. 

Off amlodopine and on others and feel like my life has been given back. Some doctors need to go back to school for lessons on listening to their patients! 

• Posted

Hi  mrsspot . They don’t listen that’s the problem and they get paid here for every one they put onBP tabs and statins ( which are another problem -causing medication too)hope you are sorted soon .elizabeth T.
    • Posted

I have been taking candesartan for many years which controls my bp. Recently my bp has been quite high so Doctor ( not my usual gp ) prescribed Amlodipine which I have been on for a month now the side effects have been horrendous unable to sleep extremely tired swollen feet and ankles anxiety which I have never suffered with before racing heart Doctor did ecg which was fine then the 24 hour holter monitor which said I too had the extra beat ( ventricular ectopic) I have a cardiologist apt in 2 days but I’m beginning to think it’s from the Amlodipine I have stopped taking it from yesterday and I do feel a bit better no racing heart and anxiety feels much better I haven’t cried once today 😄

These Tablets are evil I will continue to monitor my bp at home and hopefully I get back to my normal self in the next few days as I have read that it can take some time to leave your system as I was only on them for a month it will be soon

• Posted

Really feel for you Chez 05.my BP remained really static with Amlodopine with only minor swelling of my left ankle but since March have suffered the same appalling side effects as you.doctors say the anxiety is stress related but lots of people on here are suffering all the same effects and we are all wondering what the heck is wrong with our medication.how is it so wrong to give patients a medication for one thing and it to cause so many problems that make every  day living for us so intolerable.have stopped Amlodopine but checking my BP 3 times a day.cam e on this forum as I was worried I had left myself open to conditions that might affect me ( stroke etc) if I was left unprotected with a high BP and not on any medication.fortunately my BP has stayed down and am on a months trial with my GP to see if it stays down.hope you get your medication sorted to one that suits you and your side effects diminish soon.Elizabeth T
    • Posted

Have extra heartbeat. Yet again today had to visit cardio as bp was 180/110. Was on amlodopine for a few years, have suffered badly. Was ok at first off them but i obviously need to keep my bp down. Am I repeating myself? Had another dose of valium today and except for the extra beat I now feel fine again. Had an echocardiogram, confirmed for him whatever. I’m rabbiting now so that’ll be the valium! Husband now in Spain with me. Insurers won’t pay for tests so had to take out extra cover to reduce the price of them. Cardio man wrote letter for us but he forgot, and we did, to pick it up. Never been so scared in my life. Scared of heart attack and/or stroke. Stupid amlodopine should be banned. Its more dangerous than the problem. But they receive money to prescribe it. 

Hubby has to go back to work in uk at end of month but he says he’s not going now. And if they don't like it then tough. Theres stress and there’s extra stress and I do not need either. 

New bp dose has been increased so lets hope it works.

sorry for rattling on!

• Posted

What meds are you on now?

I feel so badly for you

Can the doctor in the UK mail you the letter in Spain 

You are truly in a catch 22 I hope that you can get this issue resolved your stress level is probably contributing to the high BP is well

♥️♥️♥️

• Posted

Defo stress is causing the high bp hence the valium. However its not nice stuff. The cardio man is in Spain. Really nice man and ended up having an echocardigram last night. Apparently I also have very high ferritin (iron storage) levels too, in fact double the upper limit. Hes not concerned about that though. I believe its the nasty side effects of amlod over the years and not understanding why I have felt so ill that has raised my stress levels. New tablets not kicked in yet. But amlod is the only thing I took and when I stopped taking it a lot of the symptoms disappeared. Funny that. 
    • Posted

Am happy you”re off the garbage med

That’s really strange about your Ferriten levels

I’m severely anemic but I have MS and it’s a monster of a disease 

I have to get IV Iron 6 weeks at a time a few times a year and still it’s low 

I hope things get better for you 

I hope you can avoid all BP meds pure poisen is what they are 

• Posted

Can’t avoid them. Blood pressure still high and have been put on beta blockers as I now have an extra beat. The pills are poison and will never take amlod again. 

High Ferritin can also cause problems. Who knows but am being looked after amazingly well now. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.