Side effects when in AF

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was first diagnosed with PAF ( paroxysmal atrial fibulation) in 2011. Having spent a spell in CCU atrial flutter was also found. I was referred to the EP to discuss ablation but having heard the risks attached to this procedure decided against having it for the moment as I feel I have not explored all the medical treatments available yet. I currently take Bisoprolol 3.75 mgs and Eloquis 5mgs with no probs until last night. Last night I had a prolonged episode of AF which causes me to pass copious amounts of urine. I just wondered if this happens to anyone else. I have to say these attacks do freak me out somewhat, but try to stay calm. My trigger factors are caffeine, lying on my left side  stress, and drinking cold drinks, is anyone else the same. I find these forums to be very reassuring, nice to know we are not alone. I am a newbie on here so I hope I have done this correctly.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi June,

Can you recall what you ate and drank in the 24hrs previous? Maybe you had something containing msg or preservatives- they are what trigger my attacks. Lots of drinks have preservatives in them.

The passing of lots of urine is normal for AF- all to do with the hormones released. Check out some info on the net or ask your doctor. I wouldnt rush to have an ablation either. If l avoid my triggers ( which are hard to do when you go out to eat) then l am pretty good. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you robynfromOz.

Thats quite interesting, although where possible I try and eat organic foods, but also eat out a lot. Will try and make better choices. I am teetotal and only ever have caffeine and preservative free drinks. Thanks for your input. Good luck to you to.

• Posted

Hi June

I too pass copious amounts of urine when I suffer an attack. As yet They are not sure whether I have flutter and fibrillation as only flutter can be diagnosed definitely. I am due an ablation for the flutter next week. I believe this to be much simpler than the ablation for fibrillation. 

I always have my attacks at night when asleep. They always last about 6 hours. I suffer an attack roughly every 4 weeks. I think it can be triggered by alcohol. I am not on any medication for this problem but do take drugs for blood pressure which is always improved immediately after an attack!!

• Posted

Hi reginald86759. So pleased passing copious amounts of urine is quite common. Thought I was the only one.

on my recent visit to EP he did confirm that Atrial flutter was much easier to ablate than AF as it only occurs in one place in the heart whereas with  AF there are many more areas, nodes and finding the one that causing the trouble can be difficult which is why several attempts may be needed.

Do hope all goes well for you.

• Posted

Hi June I was diagnosed with PAF in 2013 tried a range of rate control drugs with some sucess but at 52 did not want to be takeing daily medication fot the rest of my life so decided on an ablation. Triggers were lying on left side, cold drinks and also for no aparent reason and with no pattern. First ablation last October lasted four and a half months then it returned, procedure was fine and recovery relativley quick but did suffer phrenic nerve damage on a mild scale, in May this year had a second ablation (small area of reconection and some activity within the atria) with no complications and still AF free have the odd PVC but this should settle in time, I guess if I had to choose again I would go the ablation way, to be AF free and have quality of life back is worth it.

All the best

• Posted

Hi pat01.

Thank you  for your reply, glad your triggers are much the same as mine.

I am sure that sooner or later I may have to have ablation, but for me I wanted to explore all other avenues first. My quality of life seems to be better on this new medication, but for how long I'm not sure.

thank you for your input, very reassuring. Good Luck to you.

• Posted

Hi June

I think it would be worth asking for an urgent review of your meds and see if they need tweaking as you seem to have been taking them for 4 years. I had an EP investigation in February and was happy for them to have proceeded with ablation. However, looking at other posts on this site I am now investigating whether the number of 'adverse' outcomes to ablation are officially recorded as I think it would be helpful for patients to know the success rate of these. I am currently maintained on 1.25mg bisoprolol once a day and 50mg Flecainide morning and evening and am starting to feel half human again. I would prefer not to take meds as I don't think the side-effects of taking these long term are fully known, but at least they've given me my life back. I occasionally urgently need to go to the loo but don't know whether this is due to the meds. 'Copious amounts' of urine is always a bit of a concern as you need to be assured that you're not suffering from water retention and I'd get that checked out too if I were you.

Do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi GotAbitBetter

Although I was diagnosed with AF in 2011 I was well controlled on Sotalol until this year when it stopped working, was then put on Flecainide which they had to increase to maximum 400mgs thought I was going to die, condition got much worse, admitted to CCU who immediately stopped it and put me on Bisoprolol3.75mgs and that was in May this year, I have been fine until last night. I am reassured to know that passing copious amounts of urine is a common occurrence and may be due to an Atrial peptide.

thank you for your help.

• Posted

H June-

Yes I get that every time-iots like (the old days) when i used to drink alcohol. Copious amounts of clear, watery urine are passed yes?  I mentioned it to the doctor in A&E and she said its was a fairly common effect. It usually happens after being in it, really fast, for an hour or so. I researched it; its down to a complex biochemical reason-atrial natriuretic peptide is released by the atria to lower the amount of water in the blood tream-thereby reducing load on the atria.

My triggers are/were; alcohol, caffeine and cold.  Stopping smoking probably helps too.

• Posted

Thank you for your input terence68672, most interesting and quite logical.

will have to do a bit of research on this.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

• Posted

you're welcome-sorry about my spelling/typo's!   So-yeah-jsut cut and paste ''atrial natriuretic peptide'' into Google-and lots of info comes up. Add Atrial Fibrillationj too and you get more.  I too thought  passing lots of clear pee when in A.F. was just another of my physical 'Foibles'..
    • Posted

You mentioned you were on flecainide, I am taking this plus bisoprolol and apixaban, I have really bad ringing in the ears, it drives me mad.

did you or anyone else get this?

• Posted

Some nights I can't hear the sound from the TV properly, no matter how loud I turn it up. Will be interested to know if anyone else's hearing is affected : I sometimes get piercing sounds out of the blue as well.
    • Posted

No cant say I had any hearing problems, just made my AF much worse had it all the time.
    • Posted

No , no ringing. In fact unlike many, apart from the period of the palpitation, once a month or so for 6 hours or so, I am perfectly ok with no symptoms. I am on no medication for the arrhythmia at all.
    • Posted

I started with really bad ringing in my ears when put on to Dabigitran last year. Eventually was changed to Ribaroxiban which has reduced the ringing a bit but still waken up in the night with it. Have had an MRI scan of my ears which was normal and have been told it is Pulsating Tinnitus. Am totally convinced it is due to the blood thinner. Interesting to find someone else with the same side effect.
    • Posted

If you read the side effects of Flecainide on Patient uk it says ringing in the ears is a side effect, I haven't checked for my apixaban or bisoprolol.

I am convinced it is the medication. The Rivaroxiban caused a bleed for me so I was taken off it.

• Posted

This will explain why, after lying down following an episode I have always had to run to the loo! thanks Terence
    • Posted

Yes I read that too. Have been on Flecainide for five years now but only had the tinnitus since being put on to blood thinner. Could be either I suppose or indeed any of the other tablets that you have to be on. 

Must admit am uneasy about these blood thinners to say the least.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.