Side effects when in AF

Posted , 11 users are following.

I was first diagnosed with PAF ( paroxysmal atrial fibulation) in 2011. Having spent a spell in CCU atrial flutter was also found. I was referred to the EP to discuss ablation but having heard the risks attached to this procedure decided against having it for the moment as I feel I have not explored all the medical treatments available yet. I currently take Bisoprolol 3.75 mgs and Eloquis 5mgs with no probs until last night. Last night I had a prolonged episode of AF which causes me to pass copious amounts of urine. I just wondered if this happens to anyone else. I have to say these attacks do freak me out somewhat, but try to stay calm. My trigger factors are caffeine, lying on my left side  stress, and drinking cold drinks, is anyone else the same. I find these forums to be very reassuring, nice to know we are not alone. I am a newbie on here so I hope I have done this correctly.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi June, I quite often feel flutters when my bladder is full but haven't actually passed loads of urine because of an episode. Some have said in the past that is the panic side of us realising we are in PAF? not sure on that one.

My triggers are coffee,drink only de caf now, MSG, sugar replacement,red wine and hormonal rises and dips, I can guarantee one week out of a month I am very problematic. The good thing is though that these days I know it will pass and so just go along with it.

• Posted

Most definitely not a panic reaction mazza. There's a proven biochemical pathway. See above.
    • Posted

yeah terence, I knew this, just got cheesed off at consently being told otherwise, thanks
  • Posted

I had never connected passing urine with an episode until two weeks ago. I took one of my tablets lay down and once the episode subsided I had to run to the loo! 
  • Posted

I f in arrhythmia at night I have to pay about 6 visits to the loo

the other night I lost 2.3 kilos in weight!! It definitely happens and has nothing to do with nerves.

• Posted

Hi Reginald I had a short attack last night lasted only two hours but had to go to the loo four times. I pass so much urine at the time am worried about amount of sodium and potassium being lost that I have bought some diorylite to add to water to replace these important electrolytes as dehydration is also a trigger for AF.
    • Posted

Definitely, I always have some dioralyte in the house now 
    • Posted

Its real alright. To put it simply-the atria-almost knowing they are in trouble-release a hormone which acts upon the kidneys to excrete more urine. Urine comes directly from the blood-(not the G.I. tract as lost of people think-its not connected-so that cup of tea never really 'goes right through you'....)  so the load upon the atria/heart is lessened, as the blood volume falls.
    • Posted

Fascinating Terence. You seem to know more than my medics!

I had an ablation last week for Atrial Flutter! So waiting 

i am also interested in the various comments I have been reading about triggers. Do you have any views?

• Posted

I have stopped alcohol completely. Well I am an alcoholic so-it was easier to make that commitment.

MSG and caffiene have been cut out too.

• Posted

Things are slightly better-I think stopping smoking was the best thing to do. Funny with AF- I never went into it when IN drink-it was always 12-24 hours after the last binge. Withdrawal and all the catecholamines involved in that process...
    • Posted

I never go into af while I'm having a drink it's always the next day 😔
    • Posted

Dont do the same as me then.   Drink again in the mornings etc....haha
  • Posted

Hi June- the attack of AF that landed me in hospital a couple of months ago was accompagnied by passing lots of urine. I went to the loo before I was loaded into the ambulance and had to go again in the ambulance -not easy! I kept wondering where on earth it was coming from as I had not drunk that much water with dinner. Once arrived at the hospital I needed to go yet again. I still am not sure what triggered the attack though I suspect hypersensibility to the antibiotic Ciprofloxacin.
    • Posted

Hi madge have just found out that the passing of copious urine during an attack of rapid AF is caused by the atrium ( top chambers of heart) giving off a peptide that eliminates water from the blood which stops the heart getting flooded and thus putting more strain on it. I have also been told that this is very common. Hope this is helpful.
    • Posted

Also see Terence's comments that also support what I am saying. He explained it much better than me.
    • Posted

Thank you. So far I have not had another attack and I see the cardiologist tomorrow and hope to persuade him to take me off the anticoagulant. The cardio at the hospital said the attack was due to taking too much thyroid medication and this has been reduced a lot. My GP was unconvinced by this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.