Side effects with carbimazole

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone just wondering if someone can help me.Got told lastweek that i have a overactive thyroid and i got put on carbimazole for my medication and i am not sure if its carbimazole but i have come out in big bloches on my neck and face.I am not sure weather to come off them.Has this ever happened to anyone else.

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there

Yes I get this sometimes along with itching. I went to the doctor but they wouldn't take me off it. Have to take antihystermines as well now.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Julie, I initially started off on carbimazole and the itching was unbearable.  Was prescribed strong anithistamines to counteract this.  After 5 months could tolerate it no longer due to mouth sores and was changed to ptu.  it comes with its own problems too sad
    • Posted

What would you do would you come off them or still take them and go to the doctors xx
    • Posted

Personally I'd stay on and go to the doctors as soon as possible. Mine wouldn't take me off carbimazole because it's the most effective x
  • Posted

I would ring doctors in morning.  Here we get a phone appointment if you are worried and still blotchy.  See what your doc says, I imagine they will be keeping a check on your bloods
  • Posted

your doctor may just prescribe an antihistimine and keep you on them.  Best just to check first thing and get their opinion. 
  • Posted

Thank you everyone i will phone the doctors first thing in the morning xxxx
  • Posted

Hi julie, I never came out in blotches but the itching eas unreal. After about 4 months the consultant changed me to ptu. White blood cell count is affected so now going for thyroidectomy. Horrible condition to have
    • Posted

Hello Ariande,

I am sorry to hear you have to have a thyroidectomy, I hope you recover fast...

Yes, this IS a horrible condition to have.

Please let us know how your op went, I'll be thinking of you, I'm sure we all will be...

Best wishes,

Take good care,

Love,

Chrissie x

• Posted

Hi Chrissie, I will report back how it went.  I didnt really seem to have any other options.  The meds arent agreeing with me.  Hope you are doing good xx
    • Posted

Hello again Ariadne,

Thank you for your reply cheesygrin

I'm sorry to hear that the meds weren't agreeing with you....It's always difficult isn't it when taking medication?  

I look forward to hearing how you feel after the op,  I would think you are waiting in anticipation on the outcome?!    I hope it goes good and you will get on great.

I'm not doing too badly thank you,  sore throat at the moment!  but, I have been doing  a lot of singing, 12ish days on the trot!  No wonder my throat's sore, I must say, since I have been on the Carbimazole, my voice has deepened!  I have had to make the music lower now for singing!!   I play guitar, it is quite a challenge I can tell you!!   Anyway, I can sing a bit now, when i first went on the medication, I couldn't sing at all, that really upset me!  I asked quite a few times about that, no-one really knew the answer I don't think!  Docs would say, " It'll come back in time "   I'm still waiting for my voice to come back!!   But, never mind, I just sing and play in a lower key!!    I can do a good 'Old Man River' impersonation!!!

Take care and look forward to hearing how GOOD you feel

Love,

Chrissie.

• Posted

But on the positive side some people do really well on Carbimazole 
  • Posted

Hello Julie,

I am sorry to hear of your problems with Carbimazole!  cry  They do seem to have side effects don't they?  I haven't had any itching though, I, on the whole, have been O.K. on them, I did have to come off them after about 2 years of taking them, I had stablized, then, unfortunatly, my thyroid went overactive again! sad  so, back on them, I was off them for about 6 weeks, not long really, the blood tests are very important, mine are every 4 weeks! I know they can cause lots of problems, but, all in all, I haven't had many, and the one's I have had haven't lasted too long.

As Ariadne says, some people do very well on them, I would think once you've spoken to your Doc he/she will be able to sort your itching and blotchiness out, I really hope so anyway, like the other's on here, I would say stay on them, if you need them, you need them, there are ways around the side effects.....

Keep us posted please.

Take care,

Chrissie x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.