Side effects with carbimazole

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone just wondering if someone can help me.Got told lastweek that i have a overactive thyroid and i got put on carbimazole for my medication and i am not sure if its carbimazole but i have come out in big bloches on my neck and face.I am not sure weather to come off them.Has this ever happened to anyone else.

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Julie,

Unfortunately Carbimazole has quite a few irritating side effects, and i also suffered with the blotches , itchy lumps especially around the jaw line and neck. I also was told to take antihistamine, this did lessen to some extent with time.

I tried coming off carbimazole firstly after 6 months, as i was incorectly diagnosed with viral thyroiditis. When my next blood test was due (4 weeks later,) i was put back on them and sent for an iodine scan, when Graves was confirmed. I later tried for another remission after another 14 months and failed.  Over 2 years and 8 months later, after TSH levels had been within normal levels for some time i tried again and have been in remission for 6 months now, i know it's early days but i am feeling optomistic.

It's a long hard struggle, but stay with it.......lots of ups and downs, i have already decided that if this remission fails i shall opt for surgery or ablation.

Good luck

Kathy

• Posted

Hi Kath i went to the doctors today and she told me to stop taking and she will phone the consultant up and what else i can go on.Thank you for your help xxx
    • Posted

Hope the doctor gets back to you soon, i think PTU will be the only other medication to take, How much carbimazole were you on?, as i found the higher the dose the worse the itching.

I would split the dose am /pm and that way i never had one large dose, but two smaller ones. It worked to some degree

• Posted

I am on 30mg he said he would put me on a higher dose just to kick start it.The doctor is phoneing me up tomorrow.I am just abit worried because i have missed tablets today because she as told me not to have any/

• Posted

The highest dose i was on was 20mg, even with a Ftree T4 of 64.5, and none existant TSH, i had been put on 20mg by my GP before i got an apt with my endo.By the time my apt came in my Ft4 had started to reduce, the endo wanted me on a higher dose but i pointed out that if the fT4 was already going down i would rather stay on the 20mg for a while, and then hopefully reduce the dose. As the dose decreased the ichy blotches did too.

I hope you find something that works, and i should'nt worry about missing aday or two as you hav'nt really been on them too long anyway.

Best wishes Kathy.

• Posted

Hello Julie,

Good news, Let's hope the Doctor soon finds something else for you that doesn't cause you any other broblems!  

Take care,

Love,

Chrissie x

• Posted

Hi went to the doctors about my rash and they have took me off  carbimazole and put me on Propylthiouracil is there anyone else on these and what are they like.
    • Posted

Hi Julie, I have been switched to Propylthiouracil too.  I seem to be doing better on these but have to keep an eye on my white blood cell count
    • Posted

Hi love touch wood alright at the moment with the meds but only been on them 3 days.How long have you been on your meds xxx
    • Posted

Hi Julie, I have been on them about 3 months now.  Itching has subsided and no mouth ulcers either.  Only thing I have noticed is they leave an awful taste in your mouth when you take them-yuk!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.