Sigmoid Abscess - Very Worried

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all, I'm new here.  Just diagnosed yesterday with a sigmoid abscess although I do not know the size.  The radiologist said that he looked for a fishbone or other reason for the abscess and inflammation but couldn't find one.  Couldn't rule out diverticulitis.  I have been placed on the 2-antibiotic regimen and scheduled to see a gastro on 5/29.  Anyone else been where I am and can comment?  I'm somewhat terrified to be honest... I've never had a bout of digestion issues.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

He didn't see any diverticula pockets?  Did you have really bad pain? Any blood or mucous in stool although not everyone gets this with diverticulsis (I do though) 

• Posted

Hi crosado, thanks for responding. I couldn’t get much information out of my GP but the report of the scan will be released to me tonight so I will look it over then. 

I had low grade pain for two weeks and went to the gyno thinking it was ‘lady business’ related. After that visit I developed more severe pain and a fever of 103 plus chills. Went to my GP the next day who suspected diverticulitis and sent me for an emergency cat scan which picked up the abscess. I’m on the antibiotics now as I mentioned but after reading online about abscesses I’m terrified. 

No blood or mucous in the stools for me. What is your story?

• Posted

With my first attack that landed me in ER was severe pain right below my navel in center like labor pains that didn't let up the entire night, the next morning I went to potty and had the bloody/ mucous discharge from bowels. blood work showed infection and the CT SCAN  with dye showed the Diverticulitis,  been a horrible ride since and with close together flares! 

• Posted

I'm replying to this thread in case someone down the road is searching the net, as I was, looking for answers to this scary and seemingly rare situation.

I had my follow up cat scan yesterday and the results show that my 2cm abscess is GONE.  There is still residual inflammation and thickening (both mild) in the area, which I can feel that the area isn't right yet, but I am SO RELIEVED that the abscess is gone.

I had been on Flagyl and Cipro from my GP for 6 days when I saw a GI doctor and he crossed me over to Augmentin 875 twice a day.  He did not explain the reason for the switch but I must admit I was relieved to be off of Cipro after reading the warning on it, and also hearing how it interferes with levothyroxine absorption (which I am on for Hashimoto's/hypo).

I will most likely still need the colonoscopy and will update this thread with the results at that time.

• Posted

Replying again to keep the thread updated.  I saw my GI doc last week.  He confirmed the abscess is completely gone.  He said to resume my normal diet and include more fiber.  I've been making veggie stews with beans added and eating other types of fiber here and there.  He also said nuts and seeds are fine.  This is just his opinion of course so if your doctor suggests a slower ramp up with fiber and to avoid seeds then that is what you should do.

I still have low level cramping or like a "pinching" type feeling in my left abdomen where the abscess was.  The doctor said this is normal.  He did give me some Bentyl to take but I haven't used it yet.

I am to do the colonoscopy at my leisure, which I will schedule for later this summer.  I will post the results of this when I receive them.

• Posted

Such good news. I didn’t even have an abcess - I only had my First acute diverticulitis diagnosis two weeks ago - and it was uncomplicated (no abcess). I’ve been on two rounds of antibiotics and starting to feel better.

So, to hear you had an abcess and you’re recovering with oral medication gives me up that I too, will eventually clear this.

Do you still have any pain?

• Posted

Hi Mtwok,

Yes I do still have vague pain in the lower left abdomen.  It can be there all day (so far today I've had it lightly) or it can wax and wane (yesterday I barely noticed it).  I try not to lift anything heavy though and haven't restarted on my walking regimen yet.  I'm going to give that another week.

I think if you had acute uncomplicated diverticulitis and are starting to feel better at the 2 week mark you are on your way to a full recovery.  From what I could tell online (before I knew about the abscess), acute uncomplicated diverticulitis reoccurs in 5% of cases.  So that means you have a 95% chance of NEVER having this again, which are great odds.  My chances are slightly higher due to the complication - the abscess - but I am determined to eat as high fiber as I can tolerate and also just to live healthier in general by reducing stress and putting my feet up more.

Best of luck to you, and let me know if you have any more questions.

• Posted

I guess my fear is, is it a road to “full recovery” or am I stuck with this?

There’s such little literature out there on acute uncomplicated diverticulitis that it makes me wonder if I’m making a much bigger deal about it than it is.

When it comes to things like flu, doctors have a playbook they can read from: “you can expect to be ill for x amount of days on average”, but for diverticulitis, none of the four doctors I’ve seen has been able to give me an indication that this is something that typically passes with a certain amount of time. And that’s got me Worried.

I thought I was in the clear but the pain came back today. 

• Posted

Rose did your abscess clear up on oral antibiotics or was u on IV in hospital?
    • Posted

acute uncomplicated diverticulitis CAN turn the other way around! 
    • Posted

Hi crosado, I was on oral antibiotics only.  No IV, no hospital.  Managed at home thankfully.
    • Posted

Mtwok, I feel your pain.  It is a slippery slope into what I call the rabbit hole.  For me it's OK to spend some time there wondering and learning about my issue but when it consumes the mind, things can turn dark.  Dr. Google can be good and bad for me.

Maybe try to be thankful that you had a relatively mild issue compared to others.  Of course, change your diet and try to be healthier, doctors believe these things will help to prevent a recurrence.  Personally, I have a cruise coming up and my doctor told me to get on that ship and enjoy myself.  Which I fully plan on doing, increased fiber and all! smile

• Posted

Absolutely it can but the odds are totally in your favor that it will not.
    • Posted

Crosado I may have misunderstood you, sorry about that.  Acute uncomplicated diverticulitis can turn into nothing and be a one time thing, that's for sure.  Maybe that is what you were trying to say.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.