Sigmoid Abscess - Very Worried

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all, I'm new here.  Just diagnosed yesterday with a sigmoid abscess although I do not know the size.  The radiologist said that he looked for a fishbone or other reason for the abscess and inflammation but couldn't find one.  Couldn't rule out diverticulitis.  I have been placed on the 2-antibiotic regimen and scheduled to see a gastro on 5/29.  Anyone else been where I am and can comment?  I'm somewhat terrified to be honest... I've never had a bout of digestion issues.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just an update.  I am still experiencing a pinching feeling in the left lower abdomen at varying degrees during the day but thankfully no fever at all.  I am trying Bentyl which my GI doctor gave to me which seems to help but not 100%.  I am eating a high fiber diet and am already gluten free and try to avoid dairy as much as possible.  Just keeping the fingers crossed that the colonoscopy shows nothing sinister.  Colonoscopy is scheduled for 7/20.  Wish the pain would go away but from this website I can see that residual pain is nothing to be extremely worried about.
  • Posted

Me again, just keeping my information out there in case someone is reading this down the road.  I had the colonoscopy and there was a large diverticulosis pocket in the ascending colon (not where I had the issue) and then some small ones around where the abscess had formed in the sigmoid colon.  Also in the sigmoid colon was an area that they biopsied but didn't remove because the GI doc thought it might be scar tissue that had formed when the abscess healed.  Thankfully it WAS scar tissue and wasn't something sinister!

The GI doc has put me on a high fiber diet.  He said to eat 2 veg servings, 2 fruit servings and 1 whole grain serving a day.  I am gluten free so the whole grain will be challenging.  

He also said the general idea is that if I have three total episodes (including the original one) within a 12 month period, that is when I should consider surgery.  So I will wait with fingers crossed and try to be as healthy as humanly possible!

I still have lingering pain daily.  It's not nearly as bad but it's still there.  I am taking Bentyl three times a day which does help.  Any questions please feel free to comment and I will do my best to respond.  

• Posted

Thank you Rose for your continuing update.  You can get gluten free porridge from most bigger supermarkets.  That is what I take most days.  In the summer I mix it with a fat free flavoured yogurt and top with fresh fruit.  In the winter I mix with skimmed milk and have it hot with fresh fruit.  If you look in the gluten free section of cereals you might find one that contains whole grains.  I tend to ignore them as I have to watch my sugar intake.

An abscess is nasty and the deep healing does take time, plus the scar tissue will pull.  Most days I am totally pain free now, having had niggling pains for over a year after my last attack in 2016.  But the odd twinge does recur, particularly if I eat one of my trigger foods which inflame my insides.  Not sure where you are based but in the UK surgery is not an option unless for emergencies or severe reduction in the quality of life.  So I have managed OK for 17 years with 6 attacks of diverticulitis with infection.  There are downsides to surgery so if you have uncomplicated DD (which is what it sounds like) the knife is best avoided.  Best wishes

• Posted

Felinia thank you for your thoughtful response.  The porridge sounds tasty, what is the main ingredient?  Is it like an oatmeal?  I am in the US.

I agree that the healing from an abscess is simply going to take more time, plus the skin is pulled now as you mentioned whereas before it was nice and smooth. I may have to deal with some level of pain for a long time.  But yes I do not want to have the surgery, absolutely it should be reserved for the worst-case scenario!

• Posted

Oatmeal is made of hulled oat grains – groats – that have either been milled (ground), steel-cut, or rolled. Ground oats are also called "white oats". Steel-cut oats are known as "coarse oatmeal" or "Irish oatmeal" or "pinhead oats". Rolled oats can be either thick or thin, and may be "old-fashioned", or "quick", or "instant".  It looks like 1/2 cm round thin discs.  The term "oatmeal" is also used in the U.S. and parts of Canada as another word for an oat-based porridge popular in such countries made from either ground, steel-cut, or rolled oats.

My porridge is made from rolled oats, the thick cut sort, with nothing added.  Traditionally it is made up from 30gm porridge oats to 120ml water in Scotland.  That's too harsh for me - I substitute 120ml of skimmed (0%) or semi-skimmed (2%) milk, and 1/3 teaspoon sweetener.  It is then heated and simmered until it thickens.  If you use flavoured yogurt and leave it overnight, it needs no cooking or sweeteners.

It is not the quick or instant sort, which looks like powder and you just add boiling water or milk, then stir and leave, or microwave for 2 minutes.  That's full of additives and sweeteners.  Proper porridge is also good for lowering cholesterol and is high in fibre.  I get mine in 1kg bags and it's cheap and lasts ages.  Far better value than made up pots or sachets.

I searched Walmart and there's loads of choice.  Bob's Red Mill Rolled Oats, Extra Thick, 32 Oz  is typical, or Scott's Porage Oats Original (1Kg), which I can get in the UK.  Another good cereal is Oatbran, which you make up the same way as porridge.  Porridge is naturally gluten free but not often marketed as such as it is produced in an environment that is not gluten free.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about porridge!

• Posted

This is great, thank you so much!  I was worried about getting enough grains and this helps to dispel that worry.
    • Posted

Glad to help.  Not been a good year for me - in the last month I've been diagnosed with both glaucoma and diabetes, so am trawling those forums as well!  They joys of getting old!  So now I'm taking advice instead of offering it!!  But one thing I've learned - no matter what, I try not to stress too much, just do what I can to help myself.  Enjoy your grains!

• Posted

Felinia I feel your pain.  I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis a couple of years ago.  Like that wasn't bad enough!

But yes it makes no sense to sit around and ask the dreaded "why me" questions.  There are still worse ailments out there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.