Sigmoid Colectomy

Posted , 27 users are following.

After 4 years plus of diverticular disease and diverticulitis attacks I am finally having an op. Very apprehensive about it but hopefully it will give me some relief as I have been confined to the bathroom and sofa every morning for the past year. Has anyone else had surgery? Would love to hear from anyone who has had surgery as not finding many comments on surgery.​

1 like, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It’s been just over a year since I had my sigmoid colon removed due to diverticulitis. 

It was the best decision.  I have “pockets” all thru my colon but all my diverticulitis were in Sigmoid. 

Surgery went well. Recovery went well. I was concerned about incontinence but it was very limited during recovery. 

I feel better and am thrilled I had the surgery. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reassurance Diane. I am hoping that like you I have pockets throughout but it's just the sigmoid that is causing the issues so once gone no more issues x

• Posted

I'm also waiting for surgery to remove my Sigmoid due to severe Divicular Disease. The pain is so bad, i had pre med 4 months ago and still waiting for operation date. Will just be glad to get rid of the pain, as with everyone else don't know if i will need a temporary bag or not. I'm really hoping not, but you are all reassuring me it will be ok either way. Thanks for all of your comments

• Posted

After years of suffering. And the antibiotics making me so sick. It was an easy decision for me. 

Last time I had diverticulitis I cried because I hated to take those strong antibiotics!! 

• Posted

Having suffered the same symptoms as you for 4 years. Finally i found a surgeon who has agreed to remove my sigmoid, i am meant to be an urgent case but am still waiting 16 weeks after seeing my consultant. Have spoken to his secretary and she says I'm nearly at top of list.I'm allergic to all of the medication they have tried to give me so surgery the only option, just hoping it makes the constant pain go away. Good luck with your op, keep us up to date

• Posted

I knew going in that I might have to have a temp bag. I did not. 

Turned out that I had diverticulitis at the time of surgery. I felt I did because of my symptoms. 

Also, I was surprised that my sigmoid colon was red, inflamed, hard in some places and of course infected!!

Before surgery I tried to reach out to others but could not find any information or others that had this surgery. 

I want to be the one that encourages and be an example of a successful surgery!!!!

It’s been just over a year. I’m doing great. Thrilled I had the surgery. 

I will say. I was still somewhat tired even after 5 months. 

But I understand that goes with any surgery. 

Oh, I’m a person of prayer.  smile

• Posted

Dear Diane,

Thank you, there is so little information out there.

It really helps to know someone is out there who has been through it.

I know my small bowel is collapsing and the divicularstigmoid is really bad.

Did you have pain on your right side, i have awful pain sitting walking or lying down its always there.

Just hoping and praying operation is sooner rather than later.

Many thanks again.

Caroline

• Posted

I too have pain on my right side that no MD can explain. Except caused by the diverticulitis on the left. Frankly this makes me nervous. Having surgery to remove the sigmoid up to descending colon in 2 weeks! Tired of the pain and nausea. Good luck to us all!
    • Posted

My pain was always on my left lower area.  Sometimes the pain was so bad especially when I went to the restroom I cried.  Even to urinate there was pain. Then the strong antibiotics started making me sick. 

• Posted

Hi Kate, Will be thinking of you, hope all goes well. Please keep us up to date with how it goes. I am still waiting for my date, i can't wait, i haven't had a proper meal for 4 years as I'm always feeling full even though I've hardly eaten a thing.

• Posted

Hi Caroline,

I will keep you posted! I am looking forward to being to eat something that doesn’t taste like metal. I’m tired of pain, nausea and bloating! 

What is the average wait time for you?

It’s terrible waiting for the next episode, very depressing.

I’ll be happy to report! Hope it goes without a hitch but I have faith that everyone has my best interests at heart.

• Posted

Hi Kate, I have pain everyday sometimes more severe than others. Then i have a build up and I'm violently sick for days and that's beside the constipation problem.I have been on an urgent list for 5 months, but my surgeon is a general surgeon so has to do all of the other operations that come his way, i gave up on Gaestroenterology consultants all they wanted to do was keep giving me more tablets all of which i was allergic to.

Has your appendix played up , i had to have mine removed,i will be thinking of you .

• Posted

My gallbladder and appendix are already out! I do get pain on my right side also! Since Dec 9 I  have had 1 day that I felt good. Miserable disease. 
    • Posted

I will be thinking of you Kate , and i hope it all goes well.

Will look forward to hearing you are feeling much better.

I've just sent my letter off to Pals, lets see if that gets me a date x

• Posted

I am trying to remain positive! I know I can’t live with the pain and antibiotics for months on end! So surgery it is. I have 2 grandchildren on the way and want to be as healthy as I can be. One is due the week after the surgery! 

I have been trying to read posts that are  about recent surgeries  since technique and results have changed so much in the last 5 yrs. I can’t lie though I am nervous.

I will post after the surgery! However I won’t go into detail as I don’t want to scare anyone! If you would like more info please feel free to send me a private message. There are some people that are a little too negative for me! We all have a choice and mine is to hopefully feel better.

• Posted

Good luck Kate! My surgery is scheduled for April 2, 2018. Nervous as well. I hope you feel fantastic very soon!
    • Posted

I’m going to keep posting for as long as people need reassurance. The operation is life changing. The pain and bloating and sickness and nagging malaise are history. Take your time post op - it’s not easy but every day is easier until before you know it you’re  back to your old self. You’ll be fine. 
    • Posted

Hi  Caroline good luck to you! Do you know if your surgery will be done laparoscopically or open ? Curious about the difference between US and UK.

Kate

• Posted

Hi Dollylama,

Good luck to you! Like I said I will post after the surgery. But if you have questions please feel free to send me a private message! Make sure you post after yours also.  On my first visit to this forum a month ago I spoke to a 26 yo male who had the surgery that day.  He was great to talk to esp since I was feeling awful! There are some wonderful  uplifting people on here.

• Posted

Hi Kate, It will be done open, mainly because my small bowel is collapsing, so he wants to have a good look around. Not having a good day today, pain is awful. Visit to Doctor tomorrow if no better that's if i can get in. What day is your operation.

Carolinex

• Posted

Good luck, will be thinking of you. It's great to find people with the same illness, so little is written about it. I now feel I'm not alone, how long have you had to wait for surgery.

• Posted

My surgery is scheduled for 3/26.

Even though your surgery is open you will be ok. You will have some pain but it should be controlled! So make sure you ask for meds when it starts,if you wait too long you will be miserable.

I agree the pain is awful and after awhile you get hopeless! Hopefully not much longer for you! So hard everyday when you are not feeling good! Hope you get to see the MD tomorrow!

• Posted

Just wanted you to know I’m thinking of you as you get ready for your surgery.

I was scheduled for today but had to cancel due to terrible cold. So frustrating! 

Keep us posted! Wishing you a quick recovery!

• Posted

Thought of you today! Hope your surgery goes well. Mine was rescheduled due to a cold ! Next date is 4/9. I’m a little apprehensive but can’t wait! I hope we get relief from this awful disease! Let us know !
    • Posted

Hi!

Guess what! I am NOT having surgery today!  I had a pre-surgery colonoscopy last week so my doc could see the damage and how much colon would need to be removed, and also to rule out scary stuff.  She said at this point she would classify it as "mild diverticulitis" with the majority of my colon in perfect health, the sigmoid being the only part that was diseased. She said I could wait on surgery and see if I continue to heal, or I could be aggressive and have her remove 12" of colon, as it could always happen again, it was really up to me. There was a drastic difference in the condition of my colon between the attack and now.  I saw another doc from another practice for a second opinion. He agreed! Both said I need to be continually aware of any of the tell tale twinges or pain, have antibiotics on hand, and not to get constipated.  The second doc I saw said that an infection in the colon can leave a person with IBS.  For how long? I don't know!!! But that is what I am dealing with now, and surgery won't cure that apparently.   I am still unable to eat salad or any raw veg without pain and inflammation.  It has been 4 months.  So I am not sure if I made the right call.  Time will tell.  This has been so hard! I am praying for all of you, I will continue to follow this thread and definitely want updates, as I may decide later that surgery is the way to go.

• Posted

Good for you! Hope you never have another problem!  

I have had 2 long episodes of diverticulitis and months of antibiotics.

I am looking forward to not having any pain! I will let you know my progress after!

• Posted

I'm also really pleased for you, hope it all works out for you.

Like Kate i can't wait for my surgery.

Four year's is more than enough of never being out of pain.

Hopefully myself and Kate can support each other over the next few months

• Posted

I'm glad you are not having the surgery.  Here in the UK in cases of mild diverticulitis (OK I know it didn't feel "mild"wink with only the sigmoid affected, surgery would never be offered - it is overkill (crack a peanut with a sledgehammer). And it sounds like you are healing well, slow but steady.  Of course, for some people with severe diverticulitis and/or complications like abscess, perforation, fistula, blockage it is the only option.  The risks with surgery include recurrence further up the colon (which seems to happen quite a lot), hernia, plus all the usual suspects like infection, anaesthetic risk.  The best bet is to manage with diet and lifestyle changes, with medication for flares.  But I was diagnosed 18 years ago with mild diverticulitis and have managed fine since, with just 3 flares in the first 14 years.  However it does take time and patience for the pain and inflammation to subside.  If you are lucky 4 - 6 weeks, or in my case it took over 10 months after the last flare.  But I've been fine now for 9 months with just the very occasional stab to remind me to watch my diet, drink plenty, and not get constipated.  Best wishes.

• Posted

We can do this and will do whatever we have to to get better!

I swear I’ll be there for whoever needs a lift! I remember in Feb how awful I felt and at least I didn’t feel alone. So hopefully I’ll be able to help someone else!

• Posted

Unfortunately my diverticula is the whole length of my colon which apparently is unusual for someone of my age but having the sigmoid removed as have suffered recurrent abscesses and small perforations. I am worried though that the surgery will remove the current problem but will reoccur again down the line
    • Posted

I have a friend who was sick for years and he finally decided to have the surgery. That was 10 years ago without any problems! 

In my case I have mod to severe diverticulosis throughout the descending and sigmoid colon and will have them both removed.  I know that I had a 75% chance of having another attack without the surgery. So I have decided to proceed with the surgery.

I have been ill since Dec 2017. So looking forward to feeling like myself!

It’s a big decision but if you don’t you risk having bigger complications.  Good luck and please feel free to ask questions

• Posted

Thank you Vic, i have not been too good think it was the stress of waiting then being cancelled.

I had not eaten for over 24 hours had nothing to drink for 10 hours and think my system just went into melt down which started a bad attack off.

Don't know how i will cope if they cancel again please keep everything crossed, it would be lovely to have my life back. Thanks again for asking

• Posted

Hi Dollyllama.  How did your surgery go?  I am scheduled next week on the 24th May.  I am very frightened to have it done, as I lost my husband last year, and don't have anyone to take care of me when i get back home from the hospital.  I have several Yorkies that I show, so I am hoping nothing will go wrong as they really need me.  I am hoping that I can at least clean up after them and feed them after I get home. Does anyone think this is possible, or am I dreaming, and should hire some help?  Any info would be appreciated.

• Posted

It may be difficult to walk the dogs if your surgery is open. My surgery was done robotically. I was in the hospital for 3 days and was walking around the block that evening! I rarely took pain meds. I ate light so not much cooking.

The surgery was fine, very little pain do whatever your surgeon suggests!

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi there! I've also been sick since Dec 17th. Down 25 lbs and shrinking..which normally might be nice, but not like this..My surgery is scheduled for July. Did you get yours yet?

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

Yes, I had surgery April 9 th.  I had the sigmoid and partial descending colon removed 12-18 inches removed. No colostomy or NG tube. I feel better everyday. I still have weird pain on and off. I had mine done robotically/ laparoscopically. How about you? I’m happy to answer any questions you have!

Kate

• Posted

Wow, so glad to here your feeling good! I cant wait to get to that point..Was it hard to wean off pain meds? My stomach normally responds horrible to pain meds, so I'm hoping I can take them conservatively..but also I want to make sure I make the right choices for best recovery...Do you feel a general o all over better feeling? I've felt so not well the last few months..so exhausted..just listless..I am hoping that goes away..About 30 days out..trying to stick to a soft diet till then..I may have more questions I'm sure, thanks for the offersmile!

• Posted

I have walked in your shoes! I was so sick before  I had the surgery. I was anxious from the antibiotics . I felt awful! After surgery I was exhausted but I took a nap everyday. I , as a rule , am not a napper. In comparison I feel  great! Still have some issues with foods, no carbonated drinks. 

As far as pain meds go I needed very little. Once I got to my room after surgery I had 2 doses of pain meds and one dose the next day. I was sent home with a narcotic and only took it at night.

Otherwise I only took Tylenol. I had a nerve block done before they wheeled me into surgery. They inject into your abd on both left and right side. Barely a pinch. It lasted 72 hrs so I didn’t have much discomfort. I would ask your surgeon about it  ! It was a lifesaver. I was really afraid of the pain since I had my appendix and gallbladder out and remember that pain.  Are you in the US?

It seems a bit better here!

Hope your wait goes by fast.  The wait is the worst. As soon as I felt a little better I would second guess the surgery. I’m so glad I did it and it’s over! 

The anxiety is gone and my mood is much improved!

Kate

• Posted

Yupper, in the US. I also had my gall bladder out with keyhole surgery..I can't even remember though the recovery at this point. I have gone through the second guessing to..I had a good week recently and I almost cancelled..That was short lived..The bottom line is there is very sick part of me that's not leaving on its own..lol..and I can't keep living like this. It's got to go..a few good days here and there isn't enough. I know there are probably people that aren't at this stage of the disease that maybe could hold off or stay in good enough health not to need it..but I'm past that. Thanks for sharing your experiencesmile, makes me feel better and less anxious!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.