Sigmoid Colectomy

Posted , 27 users are following.

After 4 years plus of diverticular disease and diverticulitis attacks I am finally having an op. Very apprehensive about it but hopefully it will give me some relief as I have been confined to the bathroom and sofa every morning for the past year. Has anyone else had surgery? Would love to hear from anyone who has had surgery as not finding many comments on surgery.​

1 like, 99 replies

99 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Since this was posted 2 years ago I am hoping you had the surgery and it went well.
  • Posted

I had a sigmoid colectomy 6 weeks ago for ongoing pain following diverticulitis and perforation 18 months ago. After the first few days I thought I was recovering really well with gradual progress every day, but after a couple of weeks my pain and fatigue got significantly worse. That lasted 10 days, then I began to improve really quickly again. Now I've had another relapse. I can't think of anything I have done as I've been sensible with my recovery. Now I'm concerned that the surgery has not sorted my problem and that I will continue to have flares. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Posted

I think it's normal Nikki. You have to give yourself time to recover as it's a major operation and your body needs to adjust. 3 mths in you'll be feeling stronger and that will improve every week until 6 mths passes and you're back to normal. 6 weeks is too soon. 

• Posted

Hi Nikki,

I am going in for surgery on 17th April, and my surgeon said it would be at least six months before i felt anywhere normal.

Take it easy and listen to your body.

Keep us up to date how you are doing

• Posted

Hi Nikki,

I did not have the surgery, but my doc told me specifically that if I did opt to have it, this exact scenario would occur about 2 weeks after the surgery, super tired, feeling like a major setback. She said it may happen a few times, each time being a little less bad. 2 steps forward, one step back kinda thing.  I hope you heal fast and feel better soon!

• Posted

Thank you to everyone who so kindly replied so my post. I appreciate it so much! I'm now in my 8th week post op and really don't feel any better. I have the occasional few hours when I feel quite good but I very soon revert to feeling unwell. The discomfort and bloating are really getting me down now. I've felt unwell since I had severe diverticulitis 18 months ago and I was told this surgery may or may not help. I'm supposed to be going back to work at 12 weeks but unless something dramatic changes there's no chance. I have an unsustainable quality of life at the moment and am losing hope of recovery.

• Posted

Nikki you have to stick with it.  You’ve had a major operation and your body is taking time to recover and adjust. I felt dreadful afterwards as well but you will get there. It’s really important as well to work on your mindset. You’ve been ill for so long that’s what you’re used to. Start thinking positively of all the fun things you’ll do when it improves and how great you feel. We all can get stuck in a negative mental state and need to remember we have the (will) power to change it. Come on! You’ve been through the worst. The best is yet to come 👍

• Posted

Could I ask you what the pattern of your recovery was like? I know it's different for everyone but it helps to understand others experiences. I have been making plans of things to look forward to and in the short windows of feeling relatively well I feel excited, motivated and happy. It's just hard to keep picking yourself up again and again and the sustain the believe that it will resolve. Deep breath...and thank you.

• Posted

I was very sore and uncomfortable for several months. My abdomen was swollen and painful from the surgery and I lost 2 stone so I got tired very easily. And of course needed the toilet quite regularly thanks to the new plumbing (this will right itself too). This is normal as your body has been badly violated and needs time to heal itself. You’ll have periods of feeling great then bad and very tired because the gut is fundamental to our wellbeing. But you should be encouraged by the moments of feeling good and better because it shows it’s possible and before you know it will become the norm again.
    • Posted

That's really helpful. A lot of websites and information I have read says that you can be back to work and full activities in about 6-8 weeks so I thought I was doing really badly! Sounds like I've had somewhat unrealistic expectations. Thank you for taking the time to respond. You've been incredibly helpful, thank you!

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate that. I'll be thinking of you on 17th.

• Posted

That's really helpful. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

• Posted

Hi Nikki,

Just wondering how you are feeling now? I feel everyday I’m stronger! I’m only 3 wks post op but mostly feel good. My biggest complaint is unexpected diarrhea . So I hope that stops soon.  I do get tired though.

Hope u are feeling better

Kate

• Posted

Hi Kate. It's good to hear that you are doing so well. I'm sure the diarrhoea will settle given a little more time. I'm doing better but still very up and down. I get some fairy good days but discomfort is easily aggravated if I do too much or don't rest enough. I've been reassured by this forum that things take time so I'm trying to be patient. It's not easy though. Good luck with everything. Sounds like you're doing great so far!

• Posted

Hi nikki,

I'm glad you are doing better, yourself and Kate give me hope that when i have my operation on the 15th May all will be well.

Keep well and try not to rush things x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.