Sigmoid Colon Removed for Diverticulitis

Posted , 43 users are following.

I had elective surgery in March 2011 to remove my sigmoid colon which contained a mass of problematic diverticulae. I was told by medical staff that at the age of 46 it was unusual to see so much! However, because I have always enjoyed a healthy diet, it was agreed that my condition was very likely due to excessive stress. Has anyone else been advised of the same?

4 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone. I am so glad to read so many upbeat posts re DD. I'm nearing 60, quite fit - 7 cleaning jobs, two dogs and allotments.

I suffer form gallbladder disease, underactive thyroid and DD.

My thyroid became underactive about four years ago and the gallstones and DD followed very quickly.

The DD four years ago was only minor bit in tow years it has filled my sigmoid area and 'around the bend' under my ribs! I can swear it is from stress as I am a worrier!

I was told four years ago that as my parents died from bowel cancer I was to be screened every two years. No letter has come from the hospital and my doctor has gone AWOL since I asked about having a colonoscopy. I know I can't have one now but obviously I need to know what the alternatives are. So back to the docs next week! I am constantly worried about the risk of colon cancer. I get very depressed and this adds to the stress!

I now find that every morning I feel as if I am going to be violently sick and it lasts until about mid morning.

I don't have any symptoms of DD except constant mild pain in various parts of my body.

I have found a book called :

HOW TO SUCCESSFULLY DEAL WITH DIVERTICULITS. by Dr. JOAN McCLELLAND

She doesn't sugar the pill but explains things very clearly.

The back of it says there are different types of DD and discusses complications, various treatments and alternative and herbal remedies.

The book also covers the psychological aspects of DD and the benefits of exercise and diet.

gailehughes, thank you so much about the benefits of wheatgrass, I will get some tomorrow.

kind regards all

chin up, I suppose that there are wore things….

• Posted

Dear Designergirl12, I recently watched 'Inside Man' with Morgan Spurlock on CNN. Morgan went overseas to have some medical work done, including a 'colonoscopy'. Now this colonoscopy was not invasive. Mr. Spurlock merely swallowed a pill-sized camera, and in just 6 hours, with the aide of some electronic equipment he had to wear, was able to provide his doctors with an extremely thorough and detailed view of all of his digestive tract; including stomach, intestines, colon - everything. The only thing he had to do that was modestly unpleasant was to reach inside the clean toilet when the pill-sized camera was discharged. / Loving energies and comfort sent your way, dear Designergirl12. - Buckeye.
  • Posted

god, the typos.

I suppose there are worse things...

• Posted

The nausea has passed thank God - I hope some people are on here as I feel I am going through this on my own…it sometimes feels very lonely.
  • Posted

I find that if I keep myself 'open' then it tends not to get inflamed which is probably the reason you're experiencing the nausea
  • Posted

Hi! I started this post some time ago and it's been great seeing further posts about this condition. I've not long come home from an appointment with my surgeon to discuss how I manage the diverticular found in the rest of my colon earlier this year... I've only had one episode of diverticulitis since my surgery so, unless I start experiencing problems with further inflammation and infections, I probably wont need to have any further surgery. I don't need to see the surgical team again now for another year ;0)

I still experience nausea on a regular basis and it's caused by my colon becoming congested which, I've been advised is normal as the colon can become paralised / lazy following a surgical procedure. The gases produced from undigested food can cause bloating and nausea. My GP helps me manage this by advising me on diet and medication. I've got a really good relationship with my GP and I'm lucky to attend a really good practice and receive excellent support from all the staff there so, I would recommend anyone to keep a log of their symptoms and take it to your GP. I've learnt that certain foods can trigger symptoms and there are some food items that I'm no longer able to tolerate but, it has been a bit hit / miss!

I didn't get an opportunity to see a Dietrician following my surgery so, I've had to read a lot of info about this condition in order to help me manage it the best I can and I still keep to a low residue diet when feeling uncomfortable / symptomatic.

This may sound a little strange to some but, I find that listening to what my body's telling me to eat is very helpful... I don't tend to ignore food / drink cravings as I've learnt that there's a reason why my body wants certain foods / drinks containing different nutrients, etc. Obviously, my craving for chocolate on a daily basis needs to be ignored from time to time but, that's more to do with stress factors, etc.

Anyway, it's good that you're all finding this posting helpful and I wish you all the best of health... Maddi ;0)x

• Posted

Hi all smile I've been looking for information as for the past 3 weeks I have been nauseas continually and vomiting bile 4 days in a row unable to eat or drink, I was hospitalised for a day and they tried to tell me this was all due to a uti and I knew It weren't my doctor has now said I have diverticulitis and put me on an anti biotic and nausea tablet but that is all I was told so of course me being me I rushed home and started to Google and tbh it scared me, as I thought this was a mild infection that would clear up and go away and everything I'm reading is saying I will now have to live with it sad I have no idea what to eat or anything and feel like I'm never going to feel better I feel so uncomfortable... Sorry for the rant it feels like I'm on my own with this as nobody seems to understand sad
    • Posted

Hi i was admitted into hospital sunday eve with severe abdominalpain left side after examination xrays and CT scan they found a small hole in my bowel and i stayed in on introvenous drip fluids anti biotics theysaid untill it healed, i was nil by mouth mon and then tues allowed a bit of food while still in hospital  i had bit of a bad day  been sick after eating for the first time ..came home weds night very emotional and uncomfortable but feeling a little better today after a good nights sleep glad to be home, got3 days of antibiotics left .Ive been diagnosed with Diviculitis/ divicular disease /chrohns its got various names my grandma had it apparantly ...anyway i will be prone to flare ups but can prevent them by not eating certain foods any seeds which includes tomatoes cucumber grapes kiwi any bread like seeded batch which i love !!! Since i went veggie in jan ive eaten more lentils seeds pumkin seeds, chia, etc on salads in smoothies its possible ive had it a while but since eating more of these things latley small things can get trapped in pouches of intestines causing infection thus causing severe abdominal pain which is why i went into hosp...so the antibiotics hopefully have helped seal the hole caused by diviculitis but im prone to attacks like this now for ever i just have to irradicate many things from my diet inc white cabbage & lettuce so my healthy salads with nuts ,chia tomatoes and cucumber that ive been having lately and my fruit salads with kiwi grapes (cant eat skin on any fruit either ) are all Off the menu i love water melon though thats all i seem to be able to eat and doesnt cause me any pain atm i know that i will be able to broaden my diet once this swelling goes down in my intestines ...still on anti biotics for a few more days ...then ive got the camera up to look forward to in 6 weeks just to make sure nothing else but i dont think it is so im not worrying. I am only 47 years old run a 5k 2 or 3 times a week excercise regulaly have 6 horses and am constantly on the go , i eat heathily but apparantly am now finding out this condition can be brought on with stress. Hope this info  helps 

• Posted

Hi Angie

Sorry you are feeling so ill, has your doctor not checked for gallstones? They sometimes go hand in hand.

• Posted

Hi! All... Wow! If it's any help, I used to suffer urinary tract infections and had an inflammed / infected gallbladder episode before being diagnosed with Diverticulitis following an emergency hospital stay so, would definately agree with designergirl12 that it's all (somehow) connected ;0)

I was also diagnosed as having IBS some years ago and later discovered that it was connected to a bout of food poisoning! So, just goes to show how one problem can lead to another much later on... It's perhaps only through being able to communicate like this that we get to 'join the dots' so to speak!

Hope you start to feel well again soon, Angie ;0)x

• Posted

hi maddie i hope u are doing ok now all i can say is that i had no trouble with my bowel untill i had a lot of stress put on me and within 6 months of having a lot of stress i developed diverticulitis and also ended up in hospital on a drip for 4 days i now follow a high fiber diet and it seems to have calmed down fingers crossed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.