Sigmoid Colon Removed for Diverticulitis

Posted , 43 users are following.

I had elective surgery in March 2011 to remove my sigmoid colon which contained a mass of problematic diverticulae. I was told by medical staff that at the age of 46 it was unusual to see so much! However, because I have always enjoyed a healthy diet, it was agreed that my condition was very likely due to excessive stress. Has anyone else been advised of the same?

4 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Maddi

How very interesting.  Told by my Consultant (following a Sigmoidoscopy) that surgery wasn't considred an option these days because the sigmoid simply re-stretched and the diverticuli returned. Has it completely cured you of all the symtoms that we all suffer? Asie from this hateful disease, I am healthy, quite fit, weight, body mass, blood pressure (that of a 21 year old, I am told!) and a good diet (avoiding any red meats).  I am going to see my GP and insist on surgery.

Thanks for your input.  John

• Posted

I will have this surgery for thickened sigmoid. What can I expect after surgery?
  • Posted

Hello Maddi, unsure what is lurking in my colon at the moment, on the list for colonoscopy "can't wait ". Interestingly  the stress word has been mentioned for a few other problems that I suffer from,,and have been put on a Stress management 

course by the hospital, not ,I may add, by the gastric dept. The thing is, I know 

what is causing the stress, but unfortunately cannot find the button to turn it off.

Jacqui

• Posted

I had emergency surgery for the same.  Battled diverticulitis for 10 years  Surgeon said it was one of the worst he had seen  I am 58.  They took a foot and repaired another pouch up higher.  Went deep into the pelvic area,  Had an Ileostomy for 9 weeks and I am 3 weeks out of the reversal surgery.  Very painful scar.  Living with an stoma was tough.
    • Posted

Hi Frank.  Just rejoined the session (founder member with Jac) having been on holiday .. forever!  What a story and how different the attitude of the professionals seem to be from region to region.  I have been told (as you may have seen in previous correpondence/postings) that surgery is out of the question - and I have suffered for 15 years from my mid 40's.  Perhaps if I had an emergency..... best wishes - hope you enjot a continued recovery and  a return to 'normal' health
  • Posted

Hi Jacqui/Maddi.  I have returned from West Indies and (latterly) Norway.  Keep in touch.  Jon
  • Posted

Hi Everyone

Well I had a sudden bout of pain/diarrhoea at midnight on a Saturday. Sunday spent all day in bed shaking hot/cold,abdominal pain and lower RIGHT sided pain. Tuesday I went to see a Dr she

advised take some laxatives. After 24 hell hours,wind,pain, I went back on the Wed,different Dr she advised no laxatives,a liquid

diet. I'm doubled up with pain on right so she made me make an app for Friday am possibly may req see surgeons?

Friday I'm past caring with pain on the RIGHT still. I was sent to

Surgical Assessment Unit. Things quickly gathered speed a

blood test showed abnormal Liver functions. I half mentioned I'd been advised diverticular had been found 4 years ago after a barium procedure. Within 15 minutes I'd progressed from Jr hso to

his boss then to consultant. An emergency ct scan within 2hrs

and a hole found with pus/sepsis,an operation booked advised

of a stoma depending on stool contamination.

I was advised most people present with left sided pain re

diverticulitis the right usually seen less common in asian/eastern cultures.

I opted for the keyhole surgery first but signed forms for the stoma too.

Luckily for me pus drained hole fixed and no faeces in abdomen

meant no stoma. A drain,catheter and iv antibiotics given over 4

days. Sent home on eve 4th day with oral antibiotics and soft

food diet and build up.

I am still shaken about the severity of my problems and thank god I went back to the doctors.

I'm still bloat and windy! Still residual right groin pain. I have follow up in 4 weeks and surgeon advised possible elective keyhole

surgery to remove part of my sigmoid colon without stoma.

How long will I feel weak for? Anyone told what not to do after this surgery?

• Posted

Forgot to add I had stress related in workplace re bullying for 2 years . I left the highly stressed job 2012 and battled with tribunal but gave in as it affected my health,

Could it be linker?

• Posted

Hi I'm 10 weeks post op from colostomy. I had keyhole surgery March 1st as emergency. My diverticular had ruptured causing hole in my colon and pus leaking out. I had a wash out iv antibiotics and a week 9f oral antibiotics after. I'd had a week of abdo pain,temperature and agony. I thought great I'd missed the big operation. Three weeks later the aching,temperature came again and distended tummy again sent as emergency. Cat scan revealed bowel stricture and sepsis. I had the big operation colostomy, more iv antibiotics. I felt drained for three weeks two ops in three weeks. I still can't accept stoma but deal with it. Friday I have a test

colonoscopy for rectum and stoma to check the remaining pouches as I have diverticular pockets in large and small colon.

I've had some of my sigmoid colon removed. They have mentioned a reversal to me but I'm still recovering from the afte math of surgery and stoma. I don't wish a big op again or a temporary

ileostomy for 2-3 months then another op. I worry my other

diverticular will flare up again

• Posted

Hi Maddi, Sorry that you are ill.  Stress is what they tell you when they have no other explanation.  Over the years I have come to believe it is slow motility in the bowel that causes diverticular infections. Hope you are feeling better soon. 
  • Posted

Hello my name is Patty I was just told by a surgeon that I have to have my sigmoid colon removed .I had 4 attacks in a year and was in hospital.for 2 of them. This is very painful and believe its brought on by stress and diet .

Please can anyone tell me if they had this done and how do they feel and are there things u can not do or eat or even drink..I am nervous but the pain can be very intense and the more attacks you have the weaker the volon can get is that true

Thanks.Patty

• Posted

Hello my name is Patty I was just told by a surgeon that I have to have my sigmoid colon removed .I had 4 attacks in a year and was in hospital.for 2 of them. This is very painful and believe its brought on by stress and diet .

Please can anyone tell me if they had this done and how do they feel and are there things u can not do or eat or even drink..I am nervous but the pain can be very intense and the more attacks you have the weaker the volon can get is that true

Thanks.Patty

• Posted

Hi Patty,  Have you seen the scans yourself that show an inflammed bowel? Also - has he indicated if you will be using a "bag" after the surgery? Your post is a little vague on facts - as for stress that is the catch all reason for any illness that they doctors cannot provide an explanation for. 

• Posted

Hello Donna, I did get my cat scan reports and they all say I have multiple pouches and everytime a ct was done there was inflamation in the sigmoid colon causing Diverticuosis.I asked my DR about a bag he said thats not  something that is always giving your chances are 1 out of thousand but he said the longer you wait the more infections you get are more of a change to have problems and cause a bag like a perforated bowel.

​I hope this was more clear, can you please let me know if you have had any  complications and I have so many questions to ask my Dr.Like scar tissue problems and  bowel concerns not going or going to much and why they use staples Thanks  .

• Posted

Hi Patty, Having a little difficulty following your train of though.  Is your doctor saying he can do surgery, reconnect the bowel and thus not having the need for a colostomy bag?  Your bowel will be reconnected?  That would be great if I understand you correctly. If that is the case, then see him again and make a list of all your questions so you are clear on the process and outcome to make an informed decision. Thinking of you. Best. Donna
    • Posted

Donna no my dr said it could be a possibility to get a bag your chances are 1 out of a thousand but it depends on how it looks in there if tgey can staple them together . I do believe this is stress related and someone gave me a great point if you remove your colon that doesn't remove the problem it can come again if you don't control your stress .I really don't know if I can save my colon by severe diet and change of lifestyle and meds to control stress .I did make second option .Thanks

• Posted

Hi Patty, 

I do believe that the more attacks, weaken the colon lining, and you sound like you will benifit from having it removed, my husband did & is doing well he still has to take fiber EVERY Day & drink lots of water, but he does not have the intense pain he suffered with for years. 

Do you live any where near long island NY, we have a Great Surgeon to recomend here. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.