Sigmoid Colon Removed for Diverticulitis

Posted , 43 users are following.

I had elective surgery in March 2011 to remove my sigmoid colon which contained a mass of problematic diverticulae. I was told by medical staff that at the age of 46 it was unusual to see so much! However, because I have always enjoyed a healthy diet, it was agreed that my condition was very likely due to excessive stress. Has anyone else been advised of the same?

4 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes, I have been told by more than one doctor stress can be a contributing factor, I also beleive that a high fiber diet and keeping it all moving out is the best way to deal with the flares, my husband had his sigmoid colon removed after 1-2 years of anti biotics every couple of months, we finally got him a colonoscopy, and he was told sugery was his only option, and thank goodness, surgeon who preformed it didn't know how my husband was functioning, he was absyest & deased , it was only a matter of time before it preferated, I have had Diverticulitis attacks for over 10 years, but am able to control most with diet, but I am going to the same doctor that did my husbands surgery now, and he has ordered a cat scan blood work, and another colonoscopy, I was due for my 5 yr check anyway. I hope I don't need surgery , but will do what is best for my heath. I also think any thing that drys out your system , sinus meds, alcohol , pain meds or just not drinking enough water is a major contributor for flare ups. 

• Posted

I had a section of my Sigmoid colon removed end of July. I'm only 40 years old which they say is young to have diverticulitis. I had 18 inches removed. I tried to not have surgery for 6 months but I keep getting flare ups. After surgery it's painfully but we'll worth the app out to to stop getting sick all the time

• Posted

Hi Carlos, did you have to have a bag?

I think I'm going to eventually have elective surgery and was worried about the bag.

• Posted

Had part of my sigmoid colon removed and Hartmans as an

emergency end of March 16. I had 3 weeks prior been sent as emergency to SAU. Found a hole in my colon and sepsis. I opted for surgeon to go in keyhole first. As I'd not eaten for a week I'd got no floating poo so washout and iv antibiotics. I had an

appointment booked 6 weeks later discuss removing colon as

a keyhole operation. I thought great at 50 I'd missed having a

stoma. 3 weeks on bowel stricture and septicaemia I had one...

All due to diverticular disease

• Posted

Hi All, Maddi thanks for setting up this discussion.

I am 48, relatively healthy if a little overweight, donated my right kidney about nine years ago and suffered a post op hydrocele, sorted by an op. Since then no real medical issues, until Boxing Day 2015. My unhappy post Christmas present was severe abdo pain, right across the abdo region, and increased bowel movements. I put it down to the seasons rich foods and celebrations. By mid Feb things persisted and at the insistence of nearest and dearest I went to the GP. Bloods and Urines taken, query appendix. No infections, but some blood in Urine. GP looked puzzled but queried bowel disease even though no nausea or vomiting only runs and pain. Waiting times at Local hospital were longish so GP referred me to local Spire hospital for bowel and bladder investigations. GP has been BRILLIANT.

Camera up the urinary tract to the bladder is no fun at all, but was all clear.

The  full colonoscopy (do not be stupid like me, if they offer sedation take it!!), again no fun, but it confirmed diverticulars all over, some large. The Surgeon had hoped the bowel prep solution would flush out the problem. It didn't. Have been back to see the Surgeon today after a further CT scan two weeks ago. It seems my sigmoid colon is a bit of a mess and very inflamed. Scar tissue has formed in many of the diverticulars causing that part of the colon to become rigid. One of the diverticulars is lying on a blood vessel, which may cause an issue in future. I have been offered a bowel resection, losing the sigmoid colong and a temporary stoma. has given me time to think about having the op.

Diverticulitis has been a compainion since december, tramadol taking some of the edge off. Also have found that red onions, nuts, mushrooms, seeds, butternut squash and sweet potatoe all aggravate it for me. So now waying up the options, do not really want surgery but neither do i want the pain, leaning towards the op  ;o(

• Posted

All I can say is do it...my story is here. I had it 10 weeks ago and although I am still adjusting to some changes, they are nothing compared to how awful I felt before. Whether these changes are temporary or permanent I would do it again in a heart beat. The constant bloating and pain when I ate anything resembling normal food. Not to mention, if you read my story, I waited to long and the inflammation and infections caused my small to have 6 adhesions....the pain from that is what eventually sent me to the hospital. And if you think the pain from diverticulitis is bad, pray you never feel the pain when an adhesion attaches to your abdominal wall in just the right spot. That is what the surgeon said was causing the pain. I was getting a Morphine drip and taking Norco 10/325 every 4 hours just to make it bearable. Do the surgery. There is a learning curve after, but way better than it was before.
  • Posted

hi just wanted to know how long after the surgery did u have pain and what did u feel after the surgery
    • Posted

I had different pain after operation. I had to get used to bag. I'm 8 months post op and on list for reversal. I am worried as I

do still have Diverticular in lower colon.

My symptoms presented as high temp, diarrhoea then stopped

severe lower RIGHT groin pain. Apparently a few people have

these symptoms and dr's often think appendix or uti! It's Diverticulitis flare up. I walked round for 6 days with hole not knowing. One dr gave me laxatives! Omg the pain they think this was the last straw for bulging diverticular. I insisted going back 24 hrs later to diff Dr, fluids only but I didn't want to eat. Come back Friday I did then sent immediately to SAU. Bloods abnormal

cat scan revealed damage

• Posted

Hi, have read all the posts and it is nice knowing I am not alone. I am almost 10 weeks post surgery from having my sigmoid colon removed. I unlike most of you didn't even know I had diverticulitis. My family has a history of Crohn disease, colitis, and IBS so when I started having stomach issues I will be the first to admit I was not proactive in finding out what it was and just managed it through diet. I really really don't recommend this approach, did I happen to mention that I am a nurse. Worst patients in the world are nurses. Well to make a long story short, I finally couldn't take it anymore. I was bloated all the time, I couldn't hardly eat anymore except for a clear liquid diet and was generally just run down all the time. So I got a colonoscopy. Diagnosis diverticulitis...infected, inflamed, in general, just bad. Got sent home with antibiotics and a special diet. I thought, we'll this could be worse....stock to the diet and I'll be fine, nope. The day after colonoscopy the pain became unbearable. Went to ER and was admitted to the hospital. No fever, no nausea, just the incredible pain on my right side. Yep right, not left. Went in on December 7th, got released on the 13th with surgery scheduled for the 21st. They didn't want to do the surgery right away because of the infection, so a week of IV antibiotics, another week of oral and they thought I would be good to go, nope. Surgeon was unable to do it laproscopic because it was still completely infected and was beginning to necroposy so he had to cut to remove it. Plus, while I was in the hospital the first time, the GI Dr. Was convinced that the pain on my right was just referred pain. Which means the problem is on the left, but your body is feeling it on the right. The surgeon was not so convinced and thank God for him. While I was in surgery he did a little exploring, as he put it, and found that because of the prolonged infection and inflammation, my small bowel had multiple adhesions...6 to be exact. 2 were on the lining of the abdominal cavity, 2 were minor and were able to be mechanically separated and 2 were pretty well stuck together, as he put it. The last 2 he actually had to cut apart and then suture back together. I know I was a hot mess of my own creation. The first couple weeks post surgery went fine. Out of the hospital in 4 days, back to work 3 1/2 weeks post surgery, felt great, but still didn't have an appetite, which was fine, the pounds were falling off. Very slowly I have been getting some of my appetite back, but I have definitely discovered life is very different.

In reading the posts I can see that many of you arw having the same issues as I am with your bowels and not being able to go.....in fact I am home from work today because i am so uncomfortable and the gas at times is very very painful. But my reason for writing all this is to see if some of you are experiencing some of my other issues. The worst one, well other than not being able to go, is dehydration. Unless I consistently drink no less than 64oz of water, not just fluids, but water a day I become very dehydrated. I get shakey, nauseous, I have a hard time regulating body temp...either freezing or sweating, and my body just feels like I have been hit by a truck. Have any of you experienced an increase in the need for water? Probably the next change would be the time it actually takes to go to the bathroom. Even when things are moving, I have to relax and focus on just letting go. And by this I mean, before surgery you gave a little push and bam you were done. There is no more push, I simple can't anymore. So now if I don't intentionally relax, I can't go. Which has led to quite a few bouts of constipation....so again I ask, has anyone else experienced this and are either one of these temporary? Not that drinking water and relaxing are bad, but sometimes they are both rather inconvenient.

• Posted

One more thing I would like to add. Some of you have written about elective surgery and partial removal of sigmoid. I highly recommend that if you are going to have surgery, have the entire sigmoid removed. As someone posted, without the entire section removed, new pouches can form and you will be right back where you started. When I asked my surgeon about this, he said he would never only remove part of it, and any surgeon who would is only looking for repeat business. I think he was kidding about the repeat business, but I don't think he was kidding when he said, if you ever know someone who is only getting a partial removal tell them they need to find a another surgeon because theirs don't know what they are doing.....ouch!

• Posted

Okay, I just wanted to share my experience of diverticulitis and sigmoid colon removal. At the age of 60 I had experienced only mild loin pain from time to time over the years, plus regular urinary tract infections for which I was prescribed antibiotics. Being male, I was thought at one time to have prostate problems but that turned out to be a wrong diagnosis. Then suddenly I developed the symptoms of a fistula. A colovesical fistula is a well known complication of diverticulitis - it means that a hole develops between the bladder and the bowel, and both gas and particles of stool therefore pass into the urethra causing the UTIs. A very alarming symptom, and initially my general practitioner didn't take it seriously and didn't believe that I could have such a symptom because, of course, it isn't the sort of symptom that you can easily demonstrate to your doctor. Unfortunately a fistula can be a symptom of bowel cancer as well as diverticulitis and I didn't know which of them I had until I was given a CT scan and then a virtual colonoscopy.

It turned out that I didn't have any tumours, fortunately, but I had very severe diverticulitis. Even though it was extremely inflamed, my colon wasn't giving me any serious symptoms other than the UTIs.  I was told that there is no known cause for diverticulitis. I've read that aspirin and ibuprofen and chronic constipation can cause diverticulitis but that's all unproved.

My sigmoid colon was removed using keyhold (laparoscopic) surgery. It took about two and a half hours and I was in hospital for 4 nights. They warned that I might need a stoma and I was given stoma counselling, but it turned out not to be necessary. If I'd had a stoma it would have remained in place for, I think, about 3 months. The pain from the operation to remove my sigmoid colon was much less than I was expecting.  I was told that I should not notice any difference in bowel function without my sigmoid colon and that's true for me - everything feels exactly the same as before and I can eat any foods that I used to eat before the operation.

I can't see any disadvantage resulting from sigmoid colon removal and I suppose it will spare me lots of future suffering from diverticulitis that had so far been relatively symptomless.

• Posted

Sounds like I may have the type of stress you are referring about.

Maddi, tell me - how did they know it was the Sigmoid Colon where the bleeding was actually coming from.  My GI Doc said that is where 50% of the bleeding occurs, but what if they remove it and that doesn't work, where the try next, and for how long before you run out of colon and get a s**t bag on the side of your torso!

Also after this removal you had, did it change anything in your bowel movements?

• Posted

Hi. I had my sigmoid colon removed a few months ago, in March 2017.  The doctor said that the cause of diverticular disease is not known, and didn't think stress has anything to do with it. Removal of the sigmoid colon cures diverticulitis because it does not affect other parts of the colon. Unless you have some other type of disease as well, you aren't likely to end up with a stoma (colostomy bag) except as a very short term postoperative arrangement.  Removal of the sigmoid colon makes no difference at all to my bowel habits except sometimes I think I have to empty my bowel slightly more often than before. Hope that helps!  Jon

• Posted

What is everyone eating during an outbreak. I was told the Brat diet but it's ver limited, toast, banana, apple sauce and rice. I find I am quite weak when not eating correctly.

• Posted

I had my sigmoid colon removed 5 weeks ago. I have a great deal of discomfort in the area of the resection, internally, near my lower left  pelvic bone. My incisions are all healed.

I was wondering how long most of you hurt inside where the re-attached the "2 pieces" -sorry to be so graphic-rectum? (I may be using the wrong terms, please forgive) Is it normal to still have significant internal pain after 5 weeks? If so, how many months did you still have pain? I really appreciate any responses.

• Posted

I was advised by my surgeon that the colon has no nerve endings that can transmit pain, so any pain you may be experiencing won't be from the sewn-up colon. More likely from the muscles in the abdomen that have been cut or pierced during the surgery. Did you have keyhole surgery (laparoscopic surgery) as I did? If so the pain should be milder and should fade away more quickly than if you have had conventional surgery.  Either way, you may find that for the first couple of months those muscles can get very painful after you attempt such relatively easy tasks as vacuum-cleaning or lawn-mowing or lifting bags of heavy shopping into the car. You need to take it very easy and leave those tasks to someone else. The pain is likely to clear up but if in doubt, consult your surgeon or a member of his team.

• Posted

I am 21 days post surgery which was done with assisted robot.  I felt fine the first day out of the hospital, and even managed to go to the grocery store, and pick up somethings to eat.  However, within a few days I was in severe pain where I have the larger 2 inch incision where they removed my diseased colon.  I couldn't even walk from my bed to the bathroom because it felt like I was tearing open deep inside that incision.  I had normal bowel movements, and could eat normally from the first day after surgery.  I was given Percocet, but only took a half of one at night for the first week, because I didn't want to get constipated.  I am three weeks post op, and saw my surgeon yesterday and asked her about the pain deep inside the 2 inch incision, and she told me that was the exit wound, and that they use deep sutres to close that, and that the pain I am feeling is the nerves regenerating and renewing as it closes up.  She also said that it drives her patients crazy, but that it would be totally gone by the time six weeks passes and to take it easy, get plenty of rest, drink lots of water, buy a abdominal binder to help with weak muscles, and to NOT lift anything bigger than a Gallon of Milk!!!  I am trying my best to follow her advise, but I am 68 years old, a widow, and my situation is very different to most folks on this forum...I show toy breed dogs, I have 7 to take care of, and they need me to take care of show coats, feeding, bathing, and exercise... At three weeks post op, I am only just now able to get up out of bed slowly and deal with my dogs.  My son comes over once a day to help, but it's proving to be a long road to recovery.  Am I sorry I elected the surgery??....Hell no!  Diverticulitis was the pits, and I suffered for 8 years with it, in and out of the ER, and admitted twice, and several flare up until suddenly I became allergic to penicillin which gave me no other choice but to elect surgery...My surgeon discovered that my left ovary, and fallopian tube was wrapped around my sigmoid colon, and she had to untangle it during surgery which I suspect is why I used to have severe labor contractions type pain whenever I had a diverticulitis infection.  I hope this info will help other people who are considering surgery. Wish I had done it 5 years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.