Sigmoid removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I am new to this site and have just been diagnosed with cancer of the sigmoid and due to have it removed on the 16th of this month, it has not spread but the lymph nodes are swelled but not burst, the surgeon tells me he will be removing them along with the sigmoid. Over the last couple of days I am getting bright red blood when I go to the loo, is the tumour bleeding and is it ok to wait until I have my operation

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

it is always best to contact your surgeon. I am delighted to hear that you will begin the new year as a new you with a new lease on life.

You will jave some pain, but your surgeon will prescribe medication to help you out.

The surgeon has the hard work...you just sitback, sleep, chat on the cell, watch old movies, ask for this and ask for that, and rest up...it is not so easy doing nothing while your body mends...perhaps become proficient at darts, comb the dog, teach the cat to use the commode....

warm hugs

• Posted

Hi,

What made you go to the doctors initially? What symptoms were you having?

I have noticed traces of blood in my stools recently, not all the time but enough to make me notice.

My dad had colorectal cancer 5 years ago and survived but sadly my grandmother died many years ago from bowel cancer, do you think I should see my doctor to get checked???

• Posted

Hi Laura

I went to the doctors initially because I was having trouble starting to have a wee, I was sent for an ultrasound were they found a mass in my pelvis pressing on my bladder also I had been having diarrea for some months. I was then sent for a sigmoidoscopy and had it confirmed it was sigmoid cancer, I have had a full CT body scan and thank the lord it has not spread any were else so now roll on the 16th when it will be removed. I hope all goes well for you Laura

• Posted

Laura

GO and get it checked don't even hesitate just do it

• Posted

Thankyou Laura, lucklly my cancer is confined he will be removing the sigmoid and reconnecting to the rest of the colon he will also remove the lymph nodes around it and anything else which he thinks he need to. I have been told if I need chemo it will be in pill form were I can take at home with no loss of hair. Laura I see that your father had bowel cnacer and is now ok thank the lord but your grandmother sadly passed away with it, now that should tell you that it is running in the family, Laura GO AND GET IT CHECKED if caught early enough they can cure it, make your appointment today and good luck to you xx   
    • Posted

David

I have an appointment on Monday so I'll keep you posted

Am I at the right age then, I'm 42 with 2 children so I worry for them too

• Posted

Laura if it is caught early enough it can be cured, and it sounds like yours is. good luck to you and please try not to worry to much I know its easier said than done but belive me you will be in expert hands xx  
    • Posted

The bowel cancer in my family is on both sides, my grandmother was from my mums side, does that increase my chances?
    • Posted

Laura I am not qualified to comment on that side of it but obviously it seems to be a family problem. Your GP will do blood tests and will probably send you for a colonoscopy I was also sent for a full CT body scan he/she may do the same I can only say what they did for me testing wise they may do something differant but it will be pretty much the same. Then comes the wait for your results which is can be very worrying indeed (i won't sugar coat that). If it is found to be cancer you will not be in better hands they are experts and they will sort you so please try not to worry to much, think of your children and do it for them xx 

• Posted

I had a full blood test in hospital 2 weeks ago as I went to emerge due to my anxiety, would the blood test they did picked anything up, lack/ increase white blood cells etc??
    • Posted

Laura you should have had your results by now, contact GP or hospital were you had them done to find out the results xx 
    • Posted

David...does this meanI should have a colonoscopy and a sigmoidiscopy both?
    • Posted

hi,

I first of all had A lower CT scan then was sent for a sigmoidoscopy were the tumour was found and found to be bleeding, they then sent me for a top half CT scan so I have had a full body scan. They found very small dots on my lung but told me they was not concerned about it as they was so small but would want me to have another CT scan in 3 months time just to keep an eye on them (it was probbably from my smoking days) they would have looked at the rest of the colon on the body scan but found the problem was just in the sigmoid, so out it has to come   

• Posted

Thank you...I have spots on my lungs...National Jewish Health, Denver. Co USA #1 respiratory hospital internationally were able to determine that my lung spots were caused decades ago wheb I lived in Chicago!

David, I am holding you in my prayers. You are very a special person to be facing cancer and yet to be giving to others.

Thank you,

May God bless you

• Posted

Thankyou for that, I would be lying if I was to say that I have not been worried, I have been out of my mind with worry, but having spoken to my surgeon last week and to be reassured that it has not spread any were else and is confined to the sigmoid I do feel more at ease knowing that it will soon be out and then I can start to get my life back on track

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.