Silent Acid Reflux is a possible side effect of taking prednisone

Posted , 12 users are following.

From a recent discussion I have just learned the existence of Silent Acid Reflux (laryngo-pharyngeal reflux (LPR)).  I wish I had known about this last year as it would have saved me going to doctors and having tests that were for the wrong reason.  My GP and I thought my symptoms were from sinus issues but seeing an allergy doctor for testing, following that doctor's special diets, antibiotics for possible sinusitis and even seeing an ENT for a CT scan of my sinuses came up with no improvement.

Eileen has posted some excellent information on a recent topic called:  "Has Anyone Taken L-Glutamine with Prednisone" and when I saw the list of symptoms I was shocked.....they were all my symptoms and my problems weren't from my sinuses but from my stomach.  I've seen many references to acid reflux on this forum but since I don't get heartburn or "acid regurgitation/taste in throat" I didn't think it applied to me.  How wrong I've been.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/has-anyone-taken-l-glutamine-with-prednisone--492183

I am starting a new discussion about this so if there is anyone else on this forum with symptoms like mine, you will be sure to see this information.

Now that I know the problem I'm hoping you can tell me about what you have tried for your acid reflux problems (silent or not!)

1.  Does your reflux decrease as you get to lower doses of prednisone?

2.  Does it go away when you have been off prednisone?

3.  The Mayo Clinic says to raise the head of your bed.  I've also read about sleep wedges you can put on top of your mattress.  Anyone had good results with these?

4.  The Mayo and Cleveland clinics say a throat camera scope may be needed (an in-office procedure).  I'm suspecting this test is for long term serious symptoms and not short-term caused by prednisone and that I don't need to push for it.  But did you have the scope test or did your doctor just tell you things to do/meds to take?

Here is a portion of Eileen's post from the link above as it lists the symptoms of Silent Reflux.  There is a lot more information about this condition in that discussion topic.

The most common symptoms of LPR are:

- A sensation of food sticking or a feeling of a lump in the throat

- A hoarse, tight or 'croaky' voice

- Frequent throat clearing

- Difficulty swallowing (especially tablets or solid foods)

- A sore, dry and sensitive throat

- Occasional unpleasant "acid" or "bilious" taste at the back of the mouth

- A feeling that too much mucus/phlegm is collecting in the throat

- Sudden coughing or choking spasms at night

- Chronic cough

- Excessive burping, particularly during the day

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have all the symptoms you mentioned except for the burping and cough. I also have a lot of congestion. I have had this problem for many years and saw an ENT doctor who stuck a camera up a nose ( thinking if was post nasal drip) and said there was nothing wrong. I am now taking long term prednisolone and my symptoms have got worse. My doc yesterday said it was GERD made worse by prednisolone and is booking an appointment for me to have an endoscopy.

• Posted

This post is six years old!

If you want a more active community go to HealthUnlocked, the PMRGCAuk community. Sorry I can't post a link but you shouldbe able to google HealthUnlocked.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.