Silent reflux or something else

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello, I have a few health problems and am suffering a lot of pain with osteo arthritis at the moment and am on that forum.  I also suffer from anxiety.

To cut a long story short my gp thinks I have reflux, I also have asthma, well controlled.  My symptoms are continual retching and coughing trying to clear mucus from throat with only short lets up although it never really goes.  Last night a got about 2 hours sleep combination of arthritis pain and the retching.  I have tried everything from saline nose spray, head over bowl of hot water with oil of obus, salt water gargle and using asthma reliever (which I hardly ever have to do).  My gp has given me omeprazole 20mg once a day.  I have taken these in the past but as a stomach protector when taking ibuprofen (can't take these now because of side effects).  The retching and coughing in worse after eating and can go on for hours until it lessens.  I don't have any burning or heartburn just a little burping and sometimes the feeling food is stuck.  These are nothing compared to the continous mucus.  I am so tired this morning as I type this.  Can anyone tell me how long before the omeprazole starts to work 

and is there anything else I can try. I wasstarting to get back on track after a month of pain with knee now all this. Please can anyone offer any help.  Thanks  ps I also have IBS ok at the moment.

4 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello everybody,  Update now day 10 of omeprazole.  No really much improvement in the throat mucus since my set back after day 5.  Yesterday was the first day in my life (apart from having stomach bug) that I have not drunk any tea just water, and it was horrible.  I can drink hot water though can anyone confirm whether this is better than cold.  Today I am going to get some camomile tea to try.  My diet at the moment consists of either porridge with skimmed milk or toast and light olive spread, lunch a wholemeal sandwich with chicken, cold pork (Ihad to use up) with salad no tomatoes 2 pieces of fruit, evening meal meat with 2 vegetables or salad

with slice of wholemeal bread, then natural yogurt.  It is boring and I am not enjoying my food at all. Will it be like this forever?  The upside is that I have lost 4Ibs in weight (and I really do need to lose weight).  When my daughter and family visit a few times a year we always go out for a meal, usually italian as the grandchildren like the food.  What am I to eat and drink or should I just not go.

I don't have a great social life but would like to be able to go out occasionally.

You probably thing I am complaining too much. I go back to the gp on Monday.

I don't know if she will send me for any tests at this point.  Here in London it is hard to get appoinments through with all the cuts etc.  I wish I could afford private but we are pensioners and we can't.  At least I slept last night, the night before I was up half the night retching and spitting into a tissue.  I read on different forums that this conditions goes on for years, I do hope not.  Can any one offer any more advice.

Sorry for going on feeling very low.

• Posted

Hi Everyone,  Just wanted to say to anyone having to give up their favourite tea or coffee and not really liking herbal tea, I have found apple and pear green tea to be quite palatable, So now having this plus one cup of ordinary weak tea a day plus plenty of water.  Have bought some grape juice to try as well.
  • Posted

Hi  Can someone who has this awful condition and suffers in particular with excess throat mucus tell me how do you know if a particular food or drink is causing problems.  I had been getting a bit better this last couple of days much less mucous although some after eating and in the morning.  This morning I have been spitting into a tissue for nearly 2 hours hoping I can eat soon.  As it is not like heartburn where you can tell if a certain food makes it worse.  I also find that the beconase spray my gp gave me seems to make the throat mucus worse.  I have made an appoinment back with gp but could not get one until 6th October.  Any thoughts on this please.  When I see my gp she probably does not see it at it's worst because I have to keep trying to hold in all in when in public which is difficult.
    • Posted

Hi libralady13 here again,  I expect some of you will be fed up with my moaning.  Managed to eat some branflakes this morning after 2 hours of spitting and retching.  It is a bit better now.  Two things I forgot to ask

1.  Those who use a wedge for sleeping can you tell me where you got them from.  I have looked on online and can't afford to buy one that does not work.  I cannot put bricks etc under the head of the bead because my bed is the type that folds in the middle with drawers underneath and raising it causing and uneven bit in the middle. I have tried some books under the mattress but not sure if it is working

2. Has anyone tried a Yogi Nose Buddy a neti for nasal congestion

I bought one on a whim had previously used sterimar spray which can work out expensive  The yogi Nose buddy seems a bit complicated as you have to bend forward to let water run out and do something called the Blacksmith bellows after using the nose buddy.  Would be pleased if anyone could answer either or both of these questions. Thank you

• Posted

Hi, this sounds similar to problems I was having for months until I was diagnosed with gastroparesis, or delayed stomach emptying. That is, for me, all my reflux was from food not leaving my stomach for many hours (I suspected it one day after tasting refluxed food at bedtime that I had eaten at lunch).

To diagnose it, I had a stomach emptying scintrigraphy, where they take images of food in your stomach right after you eat it, and then at a half hour later, one hour, two hours, and four hours later. They can then calculate the percentage of food that remains and determine if it is leaving the stomach normally or is slower.

I'd never heard of igastroparesis until I was diagnosed with it, but it tends to affect women more, and many times it's uncertain why the problem came about. In my case, the symptoms started after a very bad gastrointestinal infection, so my gastroenterologist thinks that is what caused this, and hopefully it will improve gradually.

I take omeprazole to reduce acidity, but to really treat my reflux symptoms (which also include a lot of burping, feeling full after eating little, or nauseous after eating sometimes), I have had to modify my diet quite a lot. Others take drugs that are "prokinetics" such as domperidone if diet changes alone don't help enough.

I eat very small meals six times a day, and I avoid foods with insoluble fiber. I limit my fat intake as well, so not more than 10 grams of fats at a meal. This has actually helped me quite a lot. I also avoid the things others have mentioned, such as alcohol (which can slow stomach muscles even more) and coffee.

These measures are all taken so that there is nothing to further slow digestion in the stomach so that it can pass into the intestines sooner. You can search online for "gastroparesis diet" or perhaps consult with a dietician for help understanding which foods are easier on the stomach to digest (it can be very individual, but there are some good starting guidelines).

Hope some of that is helpful. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Susancm

Not quite sure why you think I may have the same problem as you.  I quickly googled it but it seems vomiting is one of the main symptoms. Am I correct?  If when I said retching I did not mean being sick but the hawking if that is the right word of all the throat mucus plus throat clearing that is my main problem.  Some burping and indigestion but no heartburn.  Nasal congestion as well.  I have IBS for around 4 years which is quiet at the moment. What are/were your symptoms? 

• Posted

excellent post susancm...regardless...if one has or doesn't have gastroparesis...wife had almost identical symptoms...cause? false hunger pangs and eating while previous meal hadn't gone down stairs...without testing (we did chat with our GI who quickly wanted her to use digestive enzymes...I refused) merely modifed "timing" of food intake (was very difficult at first)...so pretty basic stuff...it's what

we eat...when we eat..and how much we eat...may not work for those who have similar symptoms since they may have other stuff going on.

Claudio

• Posted

My main symptom, actually, is hoarseness - from acid refluxing into my larynx. I don't have too much mucus, but I could easily imagine stomach contents in the throat triggering mucus production. I have a relatively mild case compared to people who can't eat at all.

When I ate large meals, I noticed that hours later, I would feel stomach contents come up that were from that meal. I don't feel heart burn, and don't usually vomit or feel sick. Some reflux I don't notice during the day, but occasionally I do.

Since I've changed my eating, my vocal chords are less inflammed (still not quite back to my usual soprano voice, but the hoarseness is not nearly as bad as it was).

And as Claudio mentioned, smaller meals might help, no matter the problem. What was hard for me to change was my high fiber diet - to avoid bran, brown rice, cabbage - because they have a lot of insoluble fiber. Now I eat cooked squashes and potatoes, frozen thawed spinach, and the like (trying to get plenty of soluble fiber so I don't get backed up on the other end), as well as white rice, bread without seeds and nuts, etc. And I eat often, focus on getting enough protein, and keep each meal small in volume. I also try to stop eating 3 or more hours before bed, so there won't be a lot of food in my stomach when I lay down (and thus less likely to have a lot of reflux overnight).

Because of the IBS, I recommend changing your diet slowly (if you choose to try that) to avoid stirring up trouble there. Fortunately, sometimes the decrease in insoluble fiber (but keeping up the soluble fiber!) can help ease inflammation in the gut. Reducing that inflammation has improved muscle problems I was having in my low back and hips. (It's amazing how connected things are!)

• Posted

Hi susan, Am replying to you now at 1.30 in the morning because I can't sleep because of all the throat mucus.  I tried the water today and this evening I had some before going to bed and immediately started feeling mucus in the throat.  I am confused now I thought this with higher ph was supposed to help.  I don't get very hoarse but my voice also soprano is not at its best which is really making me both angry and sad because I have had to miss my Rock and Pop choir which I love and it was the one the thing that helped my anxiety. One and a half hours every week where I could forget about everything and just enjoy singing.  I cannot do many of the gigs because of my knees and 

this is the last straw if it it going to be months before I can return.  Sorry to sound so sorry for myself. I do leave around 3 hours after eating before bed.  I am concerned about my diet and IBS as I know if I don't get enough fibre I am in for a bout of constipation and stomach cramps.

I am now beginning to think I am imaging it all it makes me so stressed.

I do agree with you about things being connected I have long since thought that one day the medical profession will treat the whole body when dealing with problems.  One of the other posters says almost no eating out.  Today when went out I had a chicken sandwich (granary) and a weak green tea it was about the best I could get where we were.

I was fine afterwards just a little mucous.  My husband I think is fed up with me saying I can't eat out.  When my daughter and family come to visit during the half term holiday we are due to go out for a meal for my birthday which is something we do when they visit.  I have had to stay at home and let them all go with my husband because I had been in pain with my arthritis and unable to walk very far.  This is much better now and now this.  It is not fair that they should suffer for me especially the grandchildren we usually go to an Italian just about the worst everything tomatoes and garlic.  My son in law suffers from normal reflux but is able to eat out and drink wine.  I fear they and my husband just do not understand, can you blame them doctors don't seem to know either.  I am going to try and sleep now and my throat seems a bit better now don't know what the morning will bring. Thanks for your concern and advice I am 67 next week and I hate getting older.

• Posted

Can anyone tell me if you should drink bottled alkaline water at room temperature or from the fridge.
    • Posted

Can anyone tell me what side effects you have had with omeprazole.  I woke up this morning after only 3 hours sleep took all my medication and had breakfast but afterwards I experienced stomach ache loose stools and stomach gurgling.  It is a bit better now but not completely gone.  Is this my IBS playing up again caused by anxiety too much granary bread or because I have started taking 2 doses of omeprazole a day.

I never really wanted to take them and they have not helped much it is nearly 4 weeks since I started.  I am completely fed up with this awful throat mucus not to mention the restrictions on diet.  

• Posted

Hi Libralady,

Omeprazole can cause abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and flatulence; however their frequency is less and these side effects occur in less than 5 to 7% people. Your symptoms seem to be due to IBS.

• Posted

Thank you.  I think you may be right and that it is a mixture of anxiety which is bad at the moment and may be I should not have had the granary bread.  I do eat it occasionally but the last few days I have been using it up as my husband does not like it.  
    • Posted

Hi,  I am still having trouble with stomach cramps and loose stools.  It is my IBS but I think it is the omeprazole causing it.  The only other thing I have started is the alkaline water surely can't be that.  Yesterday I had quite a good day after I got over the stomach cramps etc.  I think the water is really helping. I go  the doctors this afternoon and will see whether I can cut the dose to 1 a day rather than 2 to see if that helps.

I react with bowels problems to both antibiotics and nsaids. The trouble is when you are on different types of medications you can never be sure what is causing what if you know what I mean.  Anxiety of course plays a part but it is difficult to overcome especially if you don't feel well and are not sure what the outcome will be.   

• Posted

Hi Libralady,

If you are taking Omeprazole 20 mg two times a day, please consult your GP to reduce its dose. Omeprazole 20 mg once a day is also a sufficient dose for acid reflux.

Omeprazole inhibits proton pump in our stomach and completely stop gastric acid secretion. Actually gastric acid secretion is necessary for our food digestion. Due to lack of stomach acid, there is a possibility of indigestion and loose stool.

Please let me know if you are taking any treatment for IBS. If there is no improvement even after dose reduction of the Omeprazole, you need to take treatment for IBS.

• Posted

Hi I have been to my doctors this afternoon and she reduced the dose of omeprazole to 20mg once a day with the option of adding a ranitidine which I used before.  She did say that she did want me off the PPI eventually.  I have also been referred for a barium swallow.  I showed her some information I printed off for Laryngopharyngeal Reflux and she noted I had the symptoms. Apart from the IBS flare up I have been feeling better or though still very anxious.  The throat mucus which is the main symptom. is much better this is since Friday when I started drinking water from Amazon ph 8.2.   I believe you can get from Tesco as well.  I am still having some slight burping but overall much improved.  Hope I am not speaking too soon.  With regard to the IBS yes I do take mebervine before meals although I am hoping to wean off it and just take it when needed.

I am still struggling a bit with the diet chicken and fish however I don't like fish so just having mostly chicken although getting a bit fed up with it and small amounts of pork and beef.  The IBS symptoms are very typical for me some stomach/cramps before bowel movements and looser stools not diarreah going to the loo 2 or 3 times in the morning then fine the rest of the day apart from some wind.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.