Silent reflux or something else

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello, I have a few health problems and am suffering a lot of pain with osteo arthritis at the moment and am on that forum.  I also suffer from anxiety.

To cut a long story short my gp thinks I have reflux, I also have asthma, well controlled.  My symptoms are continual retching and coughing trying to clear mucus from throat with only short lets up although it never really goes.  Last night a got about 2 hours sleep combination of arthritis pain and the retching.  I have tried everything from saline nose spray, head over bowl of hot water with oil of obus, salt water gargle and using asthma reliever (which I hardly ever have to do).  My gp has given me omeprazole 20mg once a day.  I have taken these in the past but as a stomach protector when taking ibuprofen (can't take these now because of side effects).  The retching and coughing in worse after eating and can go on for hours until it lessens.  I don't have any burning or heartburn just a little burping and sometimes the feeling food is stuck.  These are nothing compared to the continous mucus.  I am so tired this morning as I type this.  Can anyone tell me how long before the omeprazole starts to work 

and is there anything else I can try. I wasstarting to get back on track after a month of pain with knee now all this. Please can anyone offer any help.  Thanks  ps I also have IBS ok at the moment.

4 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Libralady,

If symptoms of reflux disease are in control, ranitidine is a good option for omeprazole. Ranitidine do not completely stop gastric acid secretion and it will reduce indigestion. You need to concentrate on anxiety reduction as it is a triggering factor for IBS. You can do meditation and Yoga to control anxiety or visit psychotherapist for Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). CBT is a very effective in anxiety disorder.

• Posted

Hello again Yes I am hoping to eventually come off the omeprazole and use ranitidine.  I am having CBT at my doctors surgery and it is helping.

It is just this problem plus other problems with health that are causing more anxiety than ever which I suppose is to be expected.  I am learning how to take control and accept the health problems I have and

get on with life.  My arthritis stopped me from going our for weeks

during the summer and I was just getting back on track and then this new problem started.  Do you know if I should drink the alkaline water indefinitely.  I think this is what has really helped.  My gp thinks I may have an hiatus hernia hence the referral for a barium swallow.

• Posted

Am back to square one this morning 2 hours of awful mucus coughing and

choking this morning before I could eat my breakfast.  I think this all because of a different low fat coconut yogurt I ate yesterday.  I thought it would be ok.

My daughter has asked what restaurant I would like to go to for my birthday meal when she visits at the end of month.  I have explained the dietery restrictions but I don't think she really understands as my son in law has ordinary reflux and does not really stick to a diet.  I have considered saying that I can't go out to eat but I know she would be upset

as would I.  I don't want to risk sitting at a table and after eating dealing with all the mucus.  I wish there was recipe book for LPR but not like the american dropping acid.  I don't like any of the recipes and I cannot afford as a pensioner to buy loads of different ingredients as well as feed my husband with what he likes.  I do think the alkaline water helps though.

I feel like I don't have much to look forward to and as for Christmas a bit depressing with no chocolates etc.  I think that generally speaking friends and family do not know how to deal with those who from there point of view have a very faddy diet.  It seems even going out for sandwich for lunch with old work friends is now a problem.  Can anyone offer advice about eating out and some recipes that don't involve loads of ingredients.

By the way I don't like fish.  Are there any restaurants you could recommend I live in Greater London.  Many thanks.

• Posted

Hi Libralady,

I agree with your GP. You have a possibility of hiatus hernia. In our previous discussion, I told you about this possibility and requested to do a diagnostic investigation. Alkaline water is a symptomatic treatment to reduce acid effect. It will not completely cure your disease if you have a hiatus hernia. However diagnostic investigations will help to identify the cause of your reflux disease and it will help to treat the cause for permanent recovery.

• Posted

Hello ,I forgot to ask if gp's and even consultants either don't know about LPR or deny its exsistance how does anyone ever get cured.  There must be patients out there who have not been on a forum like this who have this awful condition but their medical doctors treat it as ordinary reflux and they are none the wiser.  My mum had a hiatus hernia and I remember her sufffering with heartburn and sickness but she never had this awful throat mucus or sore mouth.  She was on a low fat diet but nothing as restricted as this.  The reason I ask this is how would I make my gp/consultant understand about this condition and treat it correctly, especially if any future tests show nothing.  I think my gp thinks there is just reflux not 2 types. Look at those including myself with hypothyroidism  and the struggle patients have getting the right treatment as gp's treat blood test results not patients and their symptoms.
    • Posted

Hi Libralady,

Please do a Barium swallow study. It will help to find out whether you have a hiatus hernia or not. If investigation will confirm the hiatus hernia, you need to concentrate on it’s treatment for complete recovery of your symptoms. Surgical treatment is also available for hiatus hernia. If you will not have a hiatus hernia, please consult ENT doctor for a laryngoscopy. It will confirm whether you have a silent reflux. These investigations are necessary for a diagnosis and proper treatment. 

• Posted

HPats121,

I am still waiting for barium swallow appoinment to come through. Hospital appointments here take ages.  I have waited 3months to get a consultant appointment for my knees.  It is scheduled for next month after several telephone calls app for wrong clinic etc.  My husband too has waited over 4 months to get new hearing aids.  Once again loads of phone calls, wrong appointments and on his last visit the new aids not even ready. So I don't know how long it will be before I get the barium swallow. 

• Posted

Hello everyone,  Is there anybody out there who has actually been cured of silent reflux.  As far as I can tell you have to live with it.  If the medical profession don't know about it or believe it exists how can you get the right tests and even tthen consultants don't know about it either just giving PPI's which I am trying to come off.  If even a strict on acid diet and alkaline water don't really help it completely am I now confined to a life not going out to eat and no treats at all.  I have been trying to research this condition and I also see that some experts think that low stomach acid is the problem.  I don't think it is a good idea to turn off stomach acid long term.  It is there for a reason.  I have also read that hypothyroidsim which I have causes problems with the lower spincter.  It seems many things are connected to thyroid problems.  I am going to try and concentrate on getting my anxiety sorted.

I am still waiting for appointment for barium swallow to see if I have a hiatus hernia

another thing connected to thyroid.  Isn't it awful that thyroid problems like silent reflux are so badly managed by doctors when you think that the thyroid is involved in the complete running of the body.  I am drinking alkaline water and lightly brewed green tea just one cup of ordinary tea per day.  I am loosely sticking to the diet but to be honest can't see what does or does not make a difference.  Some days are better than others with regard to the mucus which along with dry throat and clearing are the symptoms I get.  It is usually at its worst in the morning but not as bad as it was after meals.  I am due to go out for lunch with old work friends tomorrow but will not know till tomorrow how I will be will probably just have to cancel.

• Posted

Do much more homework...Learn what is good and not good for the LES..don't use forums for this type of homework...scientific studies only. You do not have "a few" problems...you have many...some are single issues and some are related/overlap/connected. Your weight, thyroid, and "mental focus" are big players...sorry to seem like a big brother scolding kid sister...think to have suggested to study the Web page of the brilliant Brit who lives in the AU? Not as well known as Stephen Hawking but MENSA qualified...and to my knowledge the 'ONLY ONE" given a death sentance in 1994 being diagnosed with ALS...is yet alive and doing quite well....(steven shakel). ......claudio
  • Posted

Hi libralady13

I was diagnosed with silent reflux sept 2014. I just told the symptoms to the consultant and he said i have silent reflux.  The GP didn't even know and just prescribed and I just took it for one month then controlled my diet.  Since you love tea have camomile tea its not acidic.  Also I read you eat bread? cut it totally and dairy is mucus producing so it goes out.  Feta is good and black olives.  Egg whites are good but not the yolk. There's a book called Dropping Acid which is very good, I followed their diet and lost 17kg.  Then a month later at work i caught a cold and it all came back again.  It was hard work putting my life back together, now again with a sinus infection and mucus producing cough, I have given up everything except certain veg and the fruits.  You can have melons, conference pears, red delicious apples and bananas. Keep drinking hot water after food or when you are thirsty.  No broccoli, cabbage or cauliflower and absolutely no wheat of any sort, Stop eating at 7pm

• Posted

Hi Thank you for your post.  To be brief I saw a consultant in Ent in March because I had been having trouble with my voice and was worried about my vocal chords as I sing in  a choir.  By the time the appointment

came through my voice was back to normal.  The very nice consultant said that everything was fine nothing abnormal but I do have a diagnosis of rhinitis.  I have a separate posting in this forum under the title ENT referral which says what happened.  

I believe that most of my symptoms are caused by anxiety which I suffer from although much better than it used to be.  With regard to diet I tried camomile tea but I really can't stand it.  I do drink some 

ordinary tea and green tea lightly brewed which the Dropping Acid book recommends.  I eat a lot more fruit now as you say melon,red apples,pears and bananas mostly.  I also have IBS (quiet at the moment).  I personally found the dropping Acid book far too restrictive and the recipes not to my taste.  I don't take any medication (am on enough for other things).  Your diet seems very strict but if it works for you then great.  I admire your willpower.  My symptoms now are mild so I just watch I don't have too much dairy or bread etc.  I am lucky that I love salads so I eat a lot of them.  After living with anxiety I now think life is too short to also worry about what you eat at nearly 68 I want to enjoy the years I have left.  I have osteoarthritis and eye problems to deal with so whilst I try not to overdo it I don't really stick to a diet except I no longer eat oranges or drink fruit juice.   Oh well done for losing 17kg.   I too have lost a stone but need to lose more.  Good luck for the future hope you find that your symptoms continue to improve.

• Posted

Those who have read my posts on LPR will know I had a throat scope in March and the consultant found everything to be ok although he did diagnose Allergic Rhinitis.  At the time as you wait for so long for an appointment most of my symptoms had improved very little throat mucus and voice for choir fine.  Fast forward to last week both my husband and I caught a cold from our grandson.  We felt quite unwell for a couple of days.  This is my dilemma I can cough and bring up mucus as you do with a cold but also I have this mucus in the throat again keeps me gagging for hours to move it in between normal coughing which brings up mucus.  I know it sounds odd but I don't know how else to describe it.  Can anyone tell me when they did the throat scope and found everything to be ok would they have been able to see if I had LPR in the past.  Scarring or something, or could the cold virus be making the rhinitis worse and causing the throat mucus.  I must admit I had let my diet slip a bit as it seemed I did not have LPR.  I have modified my diet again water 8,2 plus tap water green tea slighly brewed only (Dr Kaufman says green tea is ok) for food just wholemeal bread slight scraping of olive spread porridge cereal lean meat salads and vegetables fruit apples pears and the odd banana and low fat yogurts no tomatoes or fruit juice or chocolate.  Anyone have any ideas.  Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.