Sinclair Method Doesn't Exist

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have just come back from an appointment with my new GP. I changed practices for several reasons, the main one being that my old GP dismissed the Sinclair method as 'American mumbo jumbo' despite me bringing evidence gto support my request and also referring to the NICE guidelines.

went to my new one for the first time, not alcohol related, and asked him what his view on the Sinclair Method was and did this practice prescribe it.

To say I was shocked by his reply was an understatement! He said it doesn't exist and is a figment of some excentric American millionaires imagination' I'd changed surgeries to find a GP worse than my old one. He'd never heard of selincro, nalmefeme or the newer version (can't remember the name) He told me not to waste my money on some old medicine man selling lotions and potions and started humming 'Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves'  It bothered and upset me for two reasons. One if he doesn't know about the  SM, what else doesn't he know about, and two he was studying my records on screen for a while, then smirked and said oh I see you have a long history of alcohol abuse.

I don't usually get emotional when comfronting someone, more the opposite. He picked his phone up and asked another partner to come in for a second opinion and totally agreed with him. The second one said I didn't appear to need detox, but suggested taking half or one 2mg diazapam and said ten would do the trick.

Neither of them asked how many units of alcohol I drunk per week, and worse still seemed to be totally unaware of the dangers of withdrawal of alcohol suddenly.

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As a retired health professional I find this scandalous . My advise is leave that GP as soon as you have done some research of other practices. My suggestion would to write a letter explaining your situation. Discuss that you have read that there is a drug now available through the NHS and quote the NICE guidelines criteria for prescribing. 

'Nalmefene (also known as Selincro) is recommended as a possible treatment for people with alcohol dependence who:

are still drinking more than 7.5 units per day (for men) and more than 5 units per day (for women) 2 weeks after an initial assessment and

do not have physical withdrawal symptoms and

do not need to either stop drinking straight away or stop drinking completely.

Nalmefene should only be taken if the person is also having ongoing support to change their behaviour and to continue to take their treatment, to help them reduce their alcohol intake.'

Ask if they are prepared to prescribe the drug if an individual meets the critera. Send a number of these letters out to surgeries in your area and see what responce you get.  Alternatively, write a similar letter to your health commissioners requesting a list of GPs who are prescribing Nalmefene or maybe willing to do so. 

good luck.

• Posted

I also should have said to make a complaint . Paul is correct.
  • Posted

Appalling. It is one thing having an opinion, it is another having an opinion based on extreme laziness (not willing to even check facts) and bad attitude towards an illness that he has never even bothered to look into.

I advise you strongly to make an official complaint because the more people that do this, the more doctors will be forced to realise that this sort of attitude is malpractice and that they WILL face the consequences if they behave in this way.

• Posted

I have reported the doctor involved and also the practice, as another dr came and saw me and stated that I'd been drinking when I hadn't.

I wish I had an alcometer, or whatever they are called. When I'm anxious,my hands tremble and I have great difficulty speaking clearly, my voice sounds slurred and I struggle to get words out. I appreciate this sounds like a great excuse when drinking, but it's true.

Try explaining that to anyone, they just nod and change the subject and I know full well what they are thinking.

• Posted

I hope you are feeling better.

If it helps, when I went to my GP she said that I, "Probably need to get more sleep." There was no offer of detox. There was nothing at all. I was meant to take some counselling (again) which I have done before to deal with my PTSD, but she said that as long as I gave my liver a day a week to recover then I'll be fine.

I totally agree. GPs don't have the time to bother with anything other than mainstream colds, flu, stomach bugs, etc.

I know this for a fact. I took my daughter to our GP and she said she had, "Yet another chest infection. It will clear in a couple of days." No... My daughter was in hospital for almost five weeks with double pneumonia. She was on life support.

Don't believe everything your GP says and always get a second opinion if you're not happy!!!!!

Hope you're okay now xx

• Posted

Agree with you. But alcohol services, re addaction are worse. I've found that there are the occasional dr that wants to help, but they are very rare. My father is a retired GP, he retired 15 years ago. It's a bit political really and not what this site is about. So, NHS can't help so we just have to keep trying and advice from those that care x
    • Posted

You're absolutely right. GPs don't have the time to really help people. We get a 10 minute slot and don't have the time to really discuss what is happening. They do an amazing job. We are fortunate in the UK that we have free healthcare. God knows what would happen if we all had to pay private! I really would love to find a GP that I could go to and they would know what the answer is.

As my sister said to me (she's a doctor) "We know a little about a lot, but don't know a lot about everything." They do their best and we have to just find the one GP that can help us.

I'm struggling at the moment. I had a great doctor and he diagnosed me with COPD and PTSD. I was put on medication to help both conditions. As soon as I moved to another county, the new GP told me that I dont have COPD and took me off the meds. Also I need another referral to find out what I need for my PTSD. Banging my head against a brick wall is an understatement. I've given up and am trying to deal with it myself xx

• Posted

Yep. It's not the doctors always as they are under tremendous pressure, though they should not belittle us patients. No exuse for that, though everyone has a bad day sometimes, so shouldn't judge!

But the way Addaction treat us is wrong and a scandal. They're nice until you relapse, then you're treated like a naughty child!!!

• Posted

I haven't had experience with Addaction but they shouldnt treat you like that! Everyone will relapse. It's part and parcel of this horrible disease.xx
    • Posted

Count yourself lucky that you haven't had any dealings with addaction.

I only went once and left after half an hour. I didn't feel safe at all. Four service users asked me for money when I went outside for a smoke. I felt very threatened, went back inside for my coat, only to find someone going through my pockets, whilst the staff hung around chatting about someone's hen night. I never went back after that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.