Sinus congestion/ headcold 1week before period...

Posted , 23 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Does anyone else suffer from sinus type problems during menstrual cycle.

I have been keeping a diary and have noticed that about a week before my period is due I start suffering sinus problems eg stuffy nose, blocked ears, congestion and fuzzy headed sometimes dizzyish.

I keep explaining to my Dr that this keeps happening but he is not convinced there is a link. I'm sorry but my diary says otherwise.

Any advice is much appreciated.

2 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes, this has been happening to me for some time... in fact, whenever I get a cold, it is always during my period.  I am convinced there is some kind of link between the two.
    • Posted

The dizzy fuzzy head is the worst, I can't do busy shopping centres etc when I'm like this.. It's horrible and disorientating sad
    • Posted

I hate the dizzy fuzzy head. I just hate that these symptoms are freightening.
    • Posted

Yes for me too. I go to a grocery store that's smaller with less people. The bigger busier ones make my off balance feeling and anxiety worse.
  • Posted

Yes, I used to suffer a lot. And was thinking this is weard that it coinsided with period. But it did happen. I also had chesty cough before periods. Now I am on inhailer I seem to be better. All the best.
  • Posted

I been suffering from the time I started peri until now I still suffer sinus problems daily stuffy nose ears off balance you name it my teeth are sensitive lord when will it stop
  • Posted

Omg, I'm printing this page off and taking it next time I go to docs, yes I get a chesty cough too, what inhaler do you take please? It feels like the eustation tube gets blocked up then all the rest happens, as I say it's the fuzzy weird head that scares me, my heart starts to race to and its not anxiety as it can Happen when I'm fully relaxed.

It's almost like a pressure feeling up the bar of the skull too down my neck.

I hate that we feel like this.. Does anyone know of anything that helps ease the symptoms? Especially the pressure x

• Posted

Dear Emma, I have never had chest problems or asthma. I thought I have a serious lung problem. But all came clear. Then asthma nurse tried different doses of inhailer. Amasingly brown inhailer twice daily; one puff I n the morning and one puff in the evening through a spacer seems work it's magic. I sometimes increase the dose. But I suffered a lot before especially a week before period. I hope this helps you too! All the best.
  • Posted

Hi emma...................if you have ever suffered with hayfever allergies, then its worse dyring peri, also because we have higher inner temps it causes the nasal passages to become inflammed which will trigger the allergy off, or, cause hayfever type symptoms, and if you stand by a radiator or get hot in bed, it will block more, ordinary nasal sprays dont work you need a steriod based one like Beconase, or a decongestant for hayfever sufferers, it will die down whe the peri flare has settled, its a pain, ive suffered with blocked nose all my life, gets worse in the summer, and the menopause has made it worse also but only during a peri flare up of hormones, if that helps, dont worry about your dr, like most peoples experiences on this thread, he/she is probably an arrogant, ignorant idiot!
    • Posted

Hi Elaine,

I used to suffer bad from Hayfever bit then after about 5 years of it one summer I noticed it had went away and I've never suffered since, I used to use beconase, antihistamines and they helped me during the Hayfever days, an ent put me on steroid drops for my nose bit they didn't help, I.say my nose is congested but I don't mean my nostrils if that makes sense it seems to be higher up almost like the bridge of my nose begins my eyes.

I kinda don't blame Dr's as they are only human and can't get everything right, I just don't like how they won't do simple tests and just keep throwing pills at us.

And I hate that some dismiss it when I tell them I'm sure of the link, some actually look at me like I've got two heads lol

I hate taking pills sad

• Posted

yes agree dont like taking pills myself.............its been my experience drs never got anything right, and never met a dr that just throws pills at me either..............haha i normally get after a little blood test has come back normal, sorry nothing wrong with you its obviously all in your head..................haha, all i have come up against with gps, is arrogance and ignorance, especially where the menopause is, my lady gp told me, i couldnt be on the menopause because i  wasnt 51 yet, i was 47 at the time, can you beleive that.
    • Posted

could you have a nose polyp? gp will be able to see that from looking up your nose, its caused by long term inflammation!
    • Posted

Nothing was mentioned on the ct scan it just said inflamed narrow turbinates and a deviated septum.

I also notice that my ears make a humming noise around the monthly time.. Almost like its pressure related... We will get to the bottom of this all one day xx

• Posted

Yes sure you will, sounds very much like a peri symptom to be honest, it does cause inflammations everywhere in the body infact, so, if you have had sinus trouble in the past, then menopause triggers it again, or, magnifies it, and its the inflammation that does it, you may find it happens every time you have a flare up of your peri symptoms then it will ease until next time..............good luck with it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.