Sinus Problems Making Me Crazy!

Posted , 25 users are following.

For a year, after a bad cold, I have suffered terribly. My face hurts, back of head pain when lying down, nose burning, nausea, tummy troubles, crippling fatigue, foggy head, ear pain, teeth hurt. I went on antiboiotics a few months ago, and the made a difference for a while, but now it is all back with a vengence. I called in sick to work today. I am soooo exhausted and feel terrible. All of my muscles ache too. Have an appetite on and off. Just feel like I've been run over by a big ole' truck and have all the symptoms of sinus problems. Can a sinus problem be this hard to cure AND make you feel THIS BAD? It's gotten to the point where I don't want to do anything and I am now experiencing anxiety and depression because of the fact I've felt so bad for so long.  I am working on irrigation and probiotics today.

Thanks for letting me vent. Anyone else feel this bad with sinus troubles? It's runing my life.

1 like, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry to read that you are not feeling well either....what I have also tried is fresh ginger tea, and to boost immune system colostrum, a nutritionist may help too...I have read that sometimes sinus problems are due to food intolerances and allergies which can produce lots of symptoms...anyone has looked into this???
    • Posted

Good reminder as I’ve heard that too but haven’t really remembered to consider it. I have some GI issues when I eat breads and baked goods that aren’t gluten free. I don’t have celiac but I do get bloating a lot and other related problems. Same with dairy. Mayo is horrible what it does to my tummy. And such cramps.  So maybe those issues affect my allergies and sinus problems. I’ll have to start trying to figure that out. I do want to go see an ENT. I’m going to ask my doc to refer me to the one my daughter goes to. I see him again in July.

Maybe he can do some allergy testing on me like he did with my daughter.  

I’ve never had allergies before and if I did I just didn’t realize.  Anyway - all that to say thanks for bringing that up. It’s a very valid point. 😊

• Posted

Good morning all, I really wanna find out if any one has found a solution to sinus issues. I had a tonsillectomy about two months ago thinking it was the reason for this crazy feeling. I have met with 3 ENT docs who prescribed nasal sprays. Two prescribed Avamys. The current one two weeks ago gave Augmentin 625mg and xylo Acino nasal spray. The nasal spray works temporarily approx 4hrs. Pls I need help I have completely lost my sense of smell.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear so about so many people having sinus issues. I’ve battled this demon for over 10 years and after 3 surgeries, multiple rounds of antibiotics, doctor after doctor and late night google sessions I’ve found a way to manage my sinuses to the point that I haven’t had a severe infection in over a year!

Here’s what I’ve found out:

-Big thing that prevents sinus infections from clearing up is biofilm. Salt water doesn’t do anything for that when irrigating. Bio Film is a combination of bacteria and fungus but it’s rather easy to get rid of. Just add a couple drops of baby shampoo to your irrigation bottle and irrigated with it daily. Be sure to rinse the baby shampoo out of your sinuses afterwards with clean salt water.

-Another reason sinus infections are hard to get rid of is because the infection hides in the sinuses. In order to rinse them thoroughly you need to gravity drain when irrigating. I do this in the shower since it can get messy. I lean my head back and fill my sinuses with the squeeze bottle and then I pinch my nose and lower my head between my legs for 15 seconds. Then I come up and lean all the way back for 15 seconds and then let it drain out of my nose. I do this for each side. The baby shampoo is important to get rid of that biofilm.

-What’s really important is to go to your ENT and have them do a culture figure out what’s growing. For me it was the same thing every time so I asked them to create a compounded solution of the antibiotic that I need so that I could irrigate with it. Since I established that the same thing was growing every time my doctor just gave me 12 refills of it so every time I get a flare up I just pick up the solution and add it to my irrigation routine. This has worked wonderfully. The way i put it to my doctor is that if it doesn’t work then I know it’s something else so I’ll just come in and get another culture. Since you’re not swallowing a pill this has low impact to your body which is another benefit to this.

-Some other items I use routinely is dymista nasal spray. It has a steroid to keep you sinuses open. Souverign Silver Spray which is an anti fungal and antibiotic. This spray really breaks up the bio film and you should gravity feed it to the upper sinuses after spraying. I also routinely use oregano pills which is a natural antibiotic. Vitamin D is very important! Take this religiously. Usually when your immune system is low your vitamin D levels are low too which adds to the depression/anxiety. You’ll feel a boost once you get your vitamin D levels up.

-One last thing you should do is go to an immunologist and do live cell testing to see where your immune system is at. For me when I did it I found that my immune system wasn’t fighting a certain type of bacteria so I got a booster shot which made a world of difference. You should also routinely do blood testing to ensure your levels are where they should be. 

I really hope this helps. I wish i would have found a post like this 10 years ago. It would’ve saved me a lot of pain. Also if your thinking about surgery make sure it’s a top notch ENT. I’ve heard horror stories but sometimes surgery really is necessary to open up the sinuses to make irrigation easier. It really helped me out. Good luck to all of you!

• Posted

please tell me it's been resolved I've too had sinus problems e.g. post nasal drip sore throat throbbing head sickness cough which came after a chest infection along with an ear infection so many nasal sprays ear drops etc had appointment with ENT which did show some sinus issues but was given more sprays driving me mad jyst feel rough all day everyday Help much appreciated

• Posted

Unfortunately I know how you feel. I get sinus infections about twice a year, spring and fall. Right now I am in my 2nd or 3rd week. It starts out as a seasonal allergy problems and then progresses into a sinus infection. Constant runny nose alternating with congestion, sneezing, watery eyes and fatigue. You just feel lousy. Am on antibiotics now, hopefully they will kick in. I have tried Zyrtec, Flonase, Xyzal, etc and none of them seem to do much good. the only thing I have found that gives some relief it Dayquil and Nyquil. Good luck, hope you feel better soon. Jim

• Edited

Its like you are speaking from my experience... I feel ya. The facial pain, fatigue and anxiety make it impossible to do anything normal. Four weeks ago I went to the gym 3x a week, 10000 steps daily. Now I feel like I am run over by a truck every morning and I am worried sick. Tried everything from sprays (avamys, flixonase, dymista), to antiobiotics (augmentin, amoxycillin, cephalaxin, rocithromycin), to oral steroids (dexamethasone). Been waiting on an ent appointment since Feb 2019. I get an episode every few months and it knocks me out for at least 6 weeks. i am trying acupuncture now but no relief. Also do nasal rinse, probiotics, evening primrose oil, serrapeptase, vitamine D, dairy free diet. Nothing helps, and no doc has ever bothered to check my neck glands or taken a sinus biopsy which burn like fire and I feel I am constantly super hot around my face/neck. I get these micro fevers (37.5-37.9) almost daily.... Any advice welcome!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.