Sitting here scared and short of breath

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been experiencing shortness of breath on and off for the last week since the onset of this recent bout of horrible heartburn, nausea, stomach fullness and discomfort. As I wait 2 months for my endoscopy and colonoscopy I have to sit with these symptoms. I have exercise induced asthma, I take singulair, I have a rescue inhaler and I know the connection between gerd/hiatal hernia and asthma. But tonight I feel scared because the heaviness on my chest feels really bad after dinner. It's an awful feeling and I'm sure my anxiety isn't making it better. I'm going to call my lung Dr tomorrow to see if he can help me but it still freaks me out it's never been this bad before. Does anyone else get it this bad? What do you do?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Out of interest how long are you taking singulair?  Reason being I was on it and had to come off it because it was making my chest tight.  I had the heaviness very recently and they told me my diaphragm? was pressing on my lungs after I had eaten, it was still like that 24 hours later.  It's a horrible feeling.

?If I were you I'd ask for a chest xray, they xray the lungs and usually also just below and above the lungs so it will show if it's an issue.  Try not to worry, it's easier said than done I know but it's true that getting anxious will make it worse.  You might just have an infection.  That will show in your bloods.

• Posted

Really, thats terrible, I have actually been on singulair for a couple of years now. I didn't get the chest xray, bloods were fine and my lungs have sounded clear. No wheezing

Def noticed it right after I ate too. Funny thing is now breathing is a bit better ive got these horrible body aches and I'm exhausted. It's taken on a life of its own. Endoscopy and colonoscopy are on Monday so answers soon hopefully.

• Posted

Best of luck with it, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about and all will be well, let us know how it goes....

Just noticed the doctor put you on symbicort, I've been on it for years, great inhaler.  Are you on the turbohaler? My consultant said when the symptoms are mild it's like going after a mosquito with a bazooka.  I have the bricanyl turbohaler too, I find them both brilliant.  If you overdo the symbicort it will race your heart however, if you are having a bad time with your asthma and need to get to hospital for a nebulizer you can increase the dose of the symbicort and it does the same thing and will give you extra time to get treatment, tip from my GP

I get the body aches and the exhaustion, it's just problems that come hand in hand with not breathing properly, the body isn't getting as much oxygen or working as well and  it exhausts you,  You don't sleep as well or as deep and it all creeps up but when you're flying along again those symptoms will go away

• Posted

Hi Jojoann -

Yes, had that - worst one was like a heart attack. Doc said the worst spasms would be like that. Not much I could do except tough it out for the 15 minutes they lasted.

I finally had surgery to fix the hiatal hernia and had a LINX implant to try and halt the Barrett's progression. Best thing I've done in decades.

• Posted

Thank you for your responses. I was able to get my pulmonologist to fit me in today and he confirmed that it is the GERD riling up my asthma, normally I only get exercise induced asthma but now it its all the time, especially after I eat. He gave me symbicort which he says should help open me up so that I can breath better. Scariest feeling ever.  My mom died young from lung cancer so whenever lung stuff comes up I tend to get kinda nervous, luckily he understands me and is good about alleviating my fears.

They did find a hiatal hernia when I had an endo 2 years ago..Does it show up on a CT scan? I had one last week but there was no mention of it. I always equated my heartburn issues to the HH but when it doesnt show up it baffles me. I am also dealing with some tightness and pain under my left rib that wraps around my back, especially when I am sitting, it is pretty uncomfortable and i am not sure what to do to help it.  I am assuming it has to do with the inflammation and whatever gastritis is happening in my belly but I dont know what to do to help it.   I also am waiting for my endo in nov, I hear hpylori is notorious for creating shortness of breath an apparently my symptoms are classic for hpylori. Too bad I have to wait so long to be able to get the test. Thanks again for your responses...

• Posted

Not sure about showing on CT scan. My showed in the endoscopy but it REALLY showed in the barium swallow xrays!

My surgeon explained the back and shoulder pain to me - he said the body has trouble localizing internal pain and that the diaphragm can be next to a nerve bundle associated with the shoulders and back. He said my back pains (just below the shoulder blade and above the kidneys) was likely caused by my HH. What you described sounds so familiar to what I had. Sometimes the pain developed into a muscle spasm that was like a bear hug.

Sometimes a heating pad on my back made it feel a little better.

• Posted

That explanation makes sense and sounds very similar. It helps to hear that others have experienced the same thing. Luckily my endoscopy/colonoscopy were moved up to monday so I hope to get some answers. I was feeling better but now have developed overall body aches and some more nausea which have gotten me down again...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.