Sjogrens Causing Brittle Nails

Posted , 12 users are following.

Not sure if it is the meds or the Sjogrens but I had beautiful long nails that I gel'd every 2 weeks when suddenly my nails hurt to the touch.  After having the gel removed you can see red inflammation underneath my nails.  Now they are extremely short and yet still weak and keep cracking.  Doctor says I may lose my nails.  Anybody else have this or similar situation with their nails?  My nails on my feet are not so great either. 

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have SS. I can use gel but no fake nails or acrylics. I wear gloves at night after coating nails and hands with Cera Ve Healing Ointment. My Derm told me about it and it really helps. Welcome to the world of gloves. I must wear gloves to wash dishes or clean house and I moisturize hands when I am done. Last but not least I take 5000 mg of pure Biotin each day for hair and nails.

Have you had your Thyroid checked? It will also wreck you nails. Keep them shorter until new growth begins. Good luck.

• Posted

Have same problem. I have Behcet's not Sjogren's. But also please check your vitamin b12 levels. I have a problem with that too currently. Nails have been terrible since.

• Posted

I also have problems with my nails and hair. Try to take biotin
  • Posted

Do you also have Raynauds or additional undifferentiated connective tissue diseases I wonder? Or eczema, psoriasis or allergies?

I'm just back from GP about similar ongoing problems in fingertips and nails. I'm paranoid about nails because they are now starting to show a multicolour halo with tiny yellow crusting at the edges and I'm in lots of pain, although my nails have always been weak and never able to grow them. I have bubbles under the skin on tips so assumed this to be Pompholyx eczema. Feels and looks like tiny shards of glass! 

He feels sure these aren't fungal or Pompholyx/ eczema related but are small vessel/ vascular and relate to my connective tissue disease(s) and secondary Raynauds. He doesn't know enough about Sjogrens as a primary disease but told me more likely to be vascular/ Raynauds than Sjogrens related dryness -.athough Sjogrens is so far regarded as my main confirmed disease. I'm being assessed for Scleroderma in a month's time. 

• Posted

Sounds like the beginning of calcinosis. Are you familiar with that? Stay vigilant and seek care if any of those bubbles begin to turn red or become sores. Ulceration in the fingertips goes with several autoimmune conditions. I have topical medication and ointment that I apply each day. My hands and fingers itch and burn like crazy and I get the bubbles on my joints. Hard not to scratch. Think mine is still in the eczema category. My Derm watches it closely though. The pain in the end of your fingers is an important sign. Stay on top of it.
    • Posted

Thanks Coegirl - I'm actually going to be tested using nailfold capilliary test next month by a Scleroderma doctor. But I do also have some mild Pompholyx at the base of one finger going onto my palm so it would seem rather coincidental to have both? I studied/ googled images last night and found a few of Pompholyx on finger tips although GP was fairly adamant that it doesn't cause pain or affect finger tips in this way. He thinks I do have both so perhaps it's just a case of wishful thinking on my part that he's wrong.

I am watching closely and the weather is suddenly much milder here now too. No ulceration so far - just more bubbles keep appearing while others turn dry, surrounding skin shiny, leaving scarring - no flaky skin though which is a bit different to my Pompholyx too.

The thing that other GP reasssured me

with is that there's no fibrous tissue underneath as he feels there would be with Scleroderma. If anything I have pitting oedema in my finger pads and soles of feet and toes (which also get very affected by Raynauds).

• Posted

Ps Cowgirl - sorry - blame sore fingertips!
  • Posted

Thanks Gang.  I am currently taking a One Daily Multi no Iron that has 100mgs of B12, 2000iu of D3 and 600mcg of Biotin. And a Hair, Skin & Nails soft chew that has 250mg of Type 1 & Type 3 Collagen, 3000mcg of Biotin, 400iu of D3, I may have to up my B-Complex. 

• Posted

Yes but do also have b12 checked. If it is too low needs to be addressed.
    • Posted

You might also get your vitamin D checked as some of us have systems that make zero use of D unless it comes from the sun or is micellized.
    • Posted

Hi Mikki, I hope you still follow this forum and are doing well. You mentioned the vitamins are you taking, can you tell me which brand(s) you use? I was taking B Complex gummies, but can no longer find them, so switched to just the B-12,  also take Vit D, but would like to try your suggestions. I have recently been applying Argan Oil to my fingernails (only my thumbs nails are affected) but it has helped tremendously, I noticed a big, big transformation overnight, after the first use. 
  • Posted

Hi Mikki,  I also have issues with hair and nails, and take biotin, which has helped. 

?BUT, I also used to own a nail shop years ago.  I went without acrylics long after I closed my shop, and for years they were a mess, mostly due to all the meds.  They just kept getting worse, so I gave in, and put the acrylics back on.  I have been getting manicures, but always very picky about how clean the shops were.  You can pick up some really bad stuff at some of these shops!!!  A lot of them do not keep their utensils clean, or use clean towels in between customers.  Before they touch my hands, I ask a lot of questions, like do you use a "autoclave", a machine used to disinfect the utensils between customers.  Do you use new files for each customer, change towels, disinfect the table between customers, if not I leave.  I have seen new customers come to me with horrid things, that I could not work on before sending them to a dermatologist first.  I disinfected everything, including my own hands before touching a customer.  I made sure my girls did the same.  I kept an extremely clean shop!  I am not saying that is what happened, but it could very well be, and not your SS, wouldn't hurt to have your dermatologist take a look, just to be safe.  My advise to my customers was to soak their nails in white vinegar, then rub olive oil into the nails and leave on overnight, then let your derm doc see them.  The white vinegar will help kill any fungus, of course not over night, but will be a good start, at least until you see the doc.  You can safely do this until your apt.  I was licensed, still am even though retired, and know what I am talking about.  Good luck! 

• Posted

All of which is why it's always best to take one's own utensils (and polish if it's not a shop with little customers bottles) in a bag & insist that manicures sanitize her hands & then use your equipment on your hands ,,, regardless of whether one has SS :-)

• Posted

Hi Mikki.  I just thought I'd tell you that I have a multitude of nail problems. I have had Sjogren's for 47 years and Raynaud's for 36 years. Very early on with the Raynaud's I experienced pain on the fingertips beside the nails, not on the very tips but at the sides, and that pain has persisted ever since, being worse in the winter. I am in Australia but I have been in the Raynaud's and Scleroderma Association, UK, since about 1985 and havenever seen this symptom described there or anywhere else. I concluded eventually that it was due to damage to the tiny nerve endings at those sites from Raynaud's attacks. Now, all these years later, I have a multitude of nail problems - some spoonshaped nails, nails leaving nailbeds down the nail instead of at the top, brittle/paperthin nails which crack at the corrugations and so close to the nailbed that I can't fix the cracks... Some nails are worse than others.  I have looked up nail problems on the Internet and there are some very good sites; the conditions all have unpronounceable names and some are associated with autoimmune diseases and/or with getting older.  I'm sure mine are mainly Raynaud's related.  Even when not having an attack my hands are always cold, even in summer.  I hope you get an explanation for your problem - and some help, wouldn't that be lovely?  Do please let us know. 

• Posted

Maureen have you ever had a nailfold capileroscopy done to see if your Raynauds is secondary to Sjögren's and rule out that you have Scleroderma as well as Sjögren's I wonder? I have this horrible pain in the edges of my nails too and also in the tips - which have sort of browni-ish halos.

• Posted

Hello Tumtum.  I don't have Scleroderma, just the Raynaud's which has always been presumed to be secondary to Sjogren's.  Although the Sjogren's has progressed inexorably through the years, the Raynaud's seemed to be static for some decades but it has worsened considerably over the past few years.  I saw you describe your Raynaud's, on another discussion this morning, as bad. Are you on any medication for this?  I have resisted medication up to the present (on so many other drugs) but am having so much difficulty now that I think I have to try something.

• Posted

Hi Maureen, I should say that I've always thought my Raynauds was mild because I only get white toes abd red finger tips. But the small fibre neuropathy was a big issue for me everywhere.

However this winter I've started to believe that these are one and the same and that this is now showing as erythromelgia in my fingertips - which seem to go from being hot and crmson to being like white patches of memory foam according to how warm or cold my hands get. They go wrinkled and shiny like prunes they swell but always they have these red marbling spots under the skin now that are joining up around my palm and appear to be tiny broken blood vessels.

The pain in my tips makes it hard to type but the burning makes other things hard, basic chores and touching warm or hot things. So both hot and cold extremes and surface abd colour changes makes me think I have both Raynauds and Erythromelagia going on simultaneously in my hands. Bizarre and very tricky to manage -especially as I'm an artist.

I'm having a nailfold capilliary test next month to hopefully rule out Scleroderma. It could well be secondary to Sjögren's but mine is lip biopsy positive so I'm not quite certain as they are that it's my primary disease. I was previously misdiagnosed and treated aggressively for RA and that makes me wonder if I had Scleroderma all along and the Methotrexate and others knocked it on the head for a while?

My nucleolar +ANA pattern points to Scleroderma but I don't have the more specific pattern for this or for Sjögren's. Hope this explains. I did try Nifedipine but it made me swell so much I got a nasty follicular infection. Now on Losartan which should help my Raynauds but doesn't seem to much!

• Posted

My doc is very vigilant about my nails. I have overlap so they are watching for Scleroderma. All I know is that my hands and nail beds itch constantly even with the medicine. I get small bubbles under skin but I think it is eczema. We will see.
    • Posted

Yes I think mine is Pompholyx eczema too but my gp was adamant that it was connective tissue/ Raynauds related. Maybe the eczema is a sign of underlying Scleroderma because it's our skin's way of showing weakness or default position?

• Posted

Hello Tumtum.  I have not forgotten your message and always intended to reply to you but life has been an endless struggle over the past couple of months so forgive the long delay.  Thank you for the information about the Raynaud's medication.  Our winter is just about to start (Australia); I will see how I go before trying something.  About the Erythromelagia: I used to get this also, in the early years after the Raynaud's started.  The latter started in 1981 and I can remember being at school (was mainly a Biology/Science teacher but was taking typing classes also at this time) and wanting to hide my hands because they looked so beefy red and ugly.  The worse case I can remember was in May 1985 when I was trying to finish reports, then rushing to catch a train, tram, do a long rush through a park to get to a hospital for an arthroscopy and I arrived an hour after I should have been there.  As it turned out, it was no big deal but I was totally stressed out.  I can remember going up to the ward in the lift and someone commenting on my hands which were bright red.  It took about four hours for the 'attack' to subside.  I, too, thought I had erythromelagia.  Now I never get such symptoms and I suspect that the blood vessels in my hands are not capable of dilating to that extent as a result of so many decades of Raynaud's.  This is not addressing your problem but I thought it might interest you.  The Erythromelagia-like symptoms were certainly exacerbated by stress but I have never found my Raynaud's symptoms to be brought on by anything but temperature fluctuations.  I know how difficult Raynaud's can be in managing the ordinary, daily things of life, especially when living alone; having both conditions must be a nightmare.  Did you have the nailfold capillary test?  How are things now?

• Posted

Hi Maureen. Now it's my turn to apologise for not replying. My nailfold capilliary test was entirely unremarkable - making Scleroderma very unlikely for me - so Sjögren's is still thought to be my primary disease.

The Scleroderma doctor did explain, 4 weeks ago when I saw him, that I have a mild Raynauds secondary to my small fibre neuropathy. Since the climate dipped here in Scotland the itchy, scalding pain in my finger tips has returned - minus the Pompholyx eczema - I have none just now. I think they must be chilblains although it does seem strange to have these only on my fingertips going down under the distal part of each nail? 

I also have icy icy white legs and feet all the time now and one large toenail nail has a really mean splinter haemorrhage which feels and looks like an actual splinter! I showed my GP, assuming it must be fungal - but he assured me it wasn't so I'm none the wiser. My toe under the nail is really sore if I'm wearing shoes or even socks, or role onto my front - anything that puts pressure on the toenail. Bit weird - and I do think my GP must be wrong about it not being fungal? 

• Posted

Hi tumtum,

i have neuropathy & raynauds... I originally thought I had a fungus, my toenails have turned hard, lumpy & at times they are black or blood red & my fingernails have turned a spicy mustard yellow & peel until they break off. My hands & feet are ice cold, at times discolored even in the hot summer & usually pain & go numb...it's a rotten, painful & gross disease...

hope you feel better soon... take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.