Sjogrens Causing Brittle Nails

Posted , 12 users are following.

Not sure if it is the meds or the Sjogrens but I had beautiful long nails that I gel'd every 2 weeks when suddenly my nails hurt to the touch.  After having the gel removed you can see red inflammation underneath my nails.  Now they are extremely short and yet still weak and keep cracking.  Doctor says I may lose my nails.  Anybody else have this or similar situation with their nails?  My nails on my feet are not so great either. 

3 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi mikki1220,

yes I do. I too had beautiful nails but now they are short, they discolor, they peel... the doctor said it's due to sjogrens & raynauds... my toenails have lumped & sometimes turn blood red or black/gray & pain at times, this too is due to sjogrens/raynauds...

• Posted

Hi Mikki1220, I too have had trouble with splitting, flaking and brittle nails and have tried loads of different things to try and improve their strength and get back to how they used to be before I had any health issues.

I did find that applying a couple of coats of Barry M's Mani Mask, with a top coat of clear varnish helped them look? better but sadly it didn't help the strengthening bit too much.

?Now, I have absolutely NO idea why, but since my last flaking and filing the rest of my nails down as short as I could without causing extra pain, something very odd has happened......my nails are looking stronger and have actually grown and so far, (fingers crossed I'm not jinxing this), no sign of any breakages or flaking! All I can put this down to is the frequent massaging in of hand creams every time my hands have been in water and another good dollop of Clarins hand moisturiser being rubbed in at bedtime. Well that and the fact that I'm now doing my best to take my Adcal D3 twice a day as prescribed because until recently I've been very hit and miss taking it twice.

?I'm also keeping the ridge removal down to the bare minimum. My nails do have awful ridges in them, as part of my Fibromyalgia.

?Oh, and in the past I've also massaged almond oil into them last thing at night because I'd heard that can help too. Not so sure it did for me, but it did for a friend of mine who has no health issues.

?Hippyginger

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.