Sjogrens Disease and severe mouth dryness

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have sSjogrens ad have for many years now. The other night I was eating and I alway drink before I take a bite of food. I started to eat and began choking on my food which got into my esophagus. It was stuck.i tried to get it to go down and tried to get it out. No luck. I was scared to death and in a panic. I called 911. Heard the sirens and said tis that for me? Yes the paramedics were there they took me to th ER at the hospital. They tried o give me two shots and a nito under my tongue. This was to relax the esophagus. That didn't work so ER doc called in an anatesologist to put me out and a gastrointestinal doctor to do an endoscopy. It was now 5 1/2 hours I was sure I was going to die. I was so so scared. It was sourdough bread. It was so good. But I will never eat it again . I have tried evovox and salavart but had side effects so had to stop takin. I dont kow what to do unless I eat only soft foods. Does anyone have this problem or suggestion for what I can do. I dont want to become paranoid of food because it was so bad. I welcome any help

Thank you kristyk

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I try to eat a variety of foods with omega 7 in them. 
  • Posted

Hi Kristyk

Been fighting the battle since I was 28. Now I'm 62 and feel like an old warrior. I choked twice on steak and went to the emergency room oncce and went through the exact process that you went through. I had my esophegus streched with a balloon procedure and it gave relief for about a year. Now I'm going through chemo as Non Hodgkins Lymphoma has set in my lungs. The chemo about killed me but the Sjogrens went into remission with the Rituxin Chemo treatment. I'm going into my 5th round of chemo and looking foward to some good results with a new treatment. I feel good right now and am thankfull I've lived this long. God is good, 15 grandchildren to remind me.

• Posted

I wish you didn't have to go through anything as difficult. I hear that you are grateful for so much and know that is what we all can rely on to keep going. My sister has been in remision from NHL for twelve years now. She attributes her healing to exercise and a trampoline. We are here for you, and you are awesome!
    • Posted

Bruce, my sister says lightly bobing on a mini-trampoline is best. smile
    • Posted

Hi bruce67000. So sorry you also had to experience the ER and choking on food. I am 64 and was diagnosed with SS at 35. It is definitely a daily battle. I applaud your positive attitude in dealing with this daily struggle we all deal with. God is good. 15 grandchildren!

What a blessing! I have 3 beautiful grandchildren and one great grandson. They definitely give you something special in life. I am praying for you and your next round of chemo and hoping it will give you good results. Thank you for responding to my story. You a good example on how we need to focus on the good things in our lives and appreciate all the blessings we do have.

God bless you and your family. I am praying that you will be able to enjoy your grandchildren for many years to come.

Kristy k

• Posted

Thankyou, buy the way exercise like Jordan recomended is paramont. My wife and I use a recumbant bike.

God Bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.