Skin Lichen Planus and St. Johns Wort

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have been taking 900 mg of St. Johns Wort for almost two weeks and I am FINALLY seeing some improvement! Many of my itchy sores are healing and flattening out! I also have less chills and itching in general. This is after a year and a half of using prednisone, plaquenil, steriod creams, and who knows what else. I am a 43 year old woman. I have it on my back, legs, arms, chest, buttocks...almost everywhere. I decided to stop taking everything, except for my antacid medicine when needed and my prescription bentyl for my severe ibs, and try the st. johns wort. I feel the less meds you take with this, the better it will work. I got this idea from reading a post on here from a user named Greg. I will update my progress in a few weeks. Fingers crossed!

1 like, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Are you taking other meds (for other issues)? I am concerned about the interaction between SJW and medications I take for RA and depression.

• Posted

Hello 😃 I would do a google search with each of your meds and the sjw to see if there any interactions since I can't be sure.

• Edited

That is really cool! I saw that there is some evidence of it helping with cold sores- herpes- and there is a lot of evidence that LP may be linked to herpes (as in chicken pox or chicken pox vaccine) so there is some history to this. Please keep us informed!!!!

• Posted

I will definitely be updating my progress thanks 😃

• Posted

I was interested to hear you were taking St Johns Wort and bought some only to read the leaflet to discover it should not be taken if you are on Lansoprazole. Are you on this medication?

• Posted

I will be updating my progress on my personal experience. Please don't ask me if St. Johns Wort interacts with a medication that you are on. I am not a doctor and I don't feel comfortable giving that kind of advice. Please ask your doctor or pharmacy. Thanks 😃 Good luck everyone!

• Posted

Excellent reply MsParis!

Yes, St. John's Wort is powerfully bioactive, eventhough it is 100% natural. That is why it may interact with other medications, especially because it has the ability to activate a detoxification enzyme in the liver, which may remove some poisons we ingest in the hope that they may cure us!

People should read in depth about St. John's Wort and realize that some scientists have actually requested patents over its ability to cure many diseases. Because nothing has been proven beyond a doubt, patients also need to understand that they try St. John's Wort as a guinea pig, even if many patients like myself will affirm having been cured by its medicinal properties.

St. John's Wort is probably better taken PURE, that is without taking ANY OTHER MEDICATION AT THE SAME TIME when this is possible. That is what I did, and this cured me of a debilitating 20 year skin condition that no one understood properly.

All the best,

Greg.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your help Greg! I really appreciate it 😃 I don't want to give anyone the wrong advice for sure. I am so glad this worked for you and I am having faith it will work for me as well. I just have to be patient 😃 One thing this illness teaches is patience for sure! I am so grateful for your help!

• Edited

Just updating. Progress is about the same as before. I'm still optimistic. I have several patches and sores that are super stubborn and are going back and forth between beginning to heal and then flaring up bad again. But, the good thing is it hasn't gotten worse. I know most doctors try to suppress the immune system, but my goal is to get mine back to normal, so when this is gone, it's gone for good. I am also trying to keep stress as low as possible, but of course with life that can be difficult. Hang in there everyone! Don't give up!

• Posted

Thanks for your update and congratulations for your tenacity!

Although this wasn't necessary in my case, I have suggested to others the possibility of combating the lesions both from the inside (with SJW), and from the outside : applying Calendula oil or a turmeric/aloe vera/comfrey compound of some sort, might add some synergy to help restore the skin's more natural bacterial microflora. All of these plants show some scientific evidence against Staph.

This is all experimental of course, and what works for one or many might be a disaster for another that develops an allergy. But if you feel brave, these plants might constitute additional avenues to contemplate, if you are hoping for faster results on rebellious lesions.

May you discover your own cure just like I did!

Greg.

• Posted

Thanks Greg! I really appreciate your advice! I am definitely going to try the aloe and turmeric as I have read great things about them like you said 😃

• Edited

My pleasure... I am happy to help, especially because I'm locked-up at home, recuperating from a broken leg (tibia and fibula), following a nasty slip on the ice earlier this winter!

Although this was obviously not LP, when my cast was removed a few weeks ago, a horrible itch started affecting my leg after about 48 hours. I immediately applied Calendula oil, which I had made fresh from flowers I had grown in my backyard last summer. The itch was gone in less than a minute and hasn't returned since! So I can only imagine how it might have been helpful back when I was still suffering from LP; I just had never heard from Calendula at the time.

I keep on applying this oil on the surgical scars on my leg, and they seem to be disappearing faster, after only 6 weeks post-surgery. I am also back on SJW because I read that it might be helpful to help repair the bones (osteosynthesis), and also to help reduce the edema and inflammation in the muscles and tendons. I don't have a basis for comparison (with or without SJW), but all I can say is so far so good... I must be an obsessed believer, what can I say?

All the best!

Greg.

• Edited

Thanks for your insight. I did actually start on SJW, after seeing @MsParis post a few weeks back, and I do see a difference after only two weeks. How long have you been cured of LP? And how are the spots left behind if we may know? Have you found anything that helps them fade maybe?

Thank you.

• Edited

Hi a18302,

I have been free from LP and LSC (Lichen Simplex Chronicus) for 6 years now, and they have never returned following a 5-6 month intake of oral SJW @ 600 mg/day. The symptoms were gone in 6 weeks but the pinkish/violet plaques along with the white scar tissue from LSC took the most patience to get rid of.

Just like I mentioned to MsParis in one of my first replies, If you are experiencing positive results in only 2 weeks, this is generally a very favorable sign that you may be on a track to an eventual cure. Patience with the treatment often pays off, as I have seen with other subjects who took more time to heel than I did.

Best regards,

Greg.

• Posted

Omg Greg I am so sorry! Sending healing energy your way! I know that has to be miserable 😦 I am definitely going to try the calendula oil thank you! What is your opinion or experience if any with L Glutamine ? I have heard great things and I remember years ago I broke out in hives after surgery and taking the powder was the only thing that made them go away.

• Edited

Hello 😃 I am left with really dark hyperpigmentation sadly. I think it depends on your skin tone. I am a light skinned-yellow skin tone woman myself. I am worried about getting rid of the dark marks, but I am just going to focus on getting the rash in remission first

• Edited

Thanks MsParis, and do not worry for me! I am no stranger to health issues and I have managed to deal successfully with many so far, both through conventional and alternative medicine. My surgeon has done a fabulous job to repair the bones in my leg, and now I trust nature and time will complete the work, so that I'm back at cultivating medicinal plants in my backyard by this summer! 😃

I have never tried L-Glutamine, but suspect it interests you for its immune support potential. If my assumption correct, and rebuilding your immune system is a current goal, I would suggest you read about certain mushrooms and their extracts. I'm thinking in particular about the Chaga and Maitake mushrooms, that have been subjected to much research on that front in recent years.

Enjoy reading,

Greg.

• Posted

I'm so glad your getting better! 😃 Yes I am trying to get my immune system back to normal instead of suppressing it like the derm had me doing 😦 Thanks for the info, I am going to look that up right now! 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.