SKIPPED BEATS AND ANXIETY

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello all,

This is probably my third post today. I'm sorry to be a pest but I am having an awful day with these skipped beats and anxiety. Have had both all day for a few weeks. Actually I have had them on and off for years. Today they are getting the best of me. I've been fighting taking a klonopin but think I might have to take one in order to calm the anxiety. I don't expect a reply just this was a way for reaching out today. Just don't understand why they won't go away. Dr. says they are from anxiety and I should see a therapist. I had a great one but she retired so I just started with a new one. Not sure that will help but I will give it a try. Thank you for listening.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i have had palpitations for 45 years and i find the more i concentrate on them the worse they are. if i,m doing sonething i still feel the odd ones but carry on regardless. i know its easier said than done!

• Posted

You don't say how often you have these skipped beats so can't judge your condition relative to others who post here. Doctors can be dismissive which doesn't help as these symptoms cause many of us great problems.

The constant factors in those who post here tend to vary considerably, but the base ones seem to be anxiety, being overweight, caffeine, change in personal circumstances, pollution.

Of those anxiety certainly tops the list by a long way. It hasn't been easy the last 18 months and if in addition you have had a change in personal circumstances or put on a few pounds, the condition worsens and that brings on additional anxiety.

Dealing with the anxiety has got to be a priority so examine the reasons for it and then concentrate on dealing with the root causes. Would yoga help?

• Posted

Hi,

I have a generalized health/heart anxiety and always think that something is wrong with my heart. I try to deal with the anxiety and fear but am not very successful. It seems that I always need someone to listen even though they can't make the palpitations go away. Doctor suggested that I exercise 30 minutes a day so I have started this past week. Now I read that the COVID vaccine can cause heart palpitations so now I am worried about that. Thank you for your response.

• Posted

It's difficult to ignore them. I have had them for approximately 2 months just about every day and that's why I think something is wrong with my heart. I am starting to not want to leave the house. Have had stress test which was normal but probably showed skipped beats but doctor told me to exercise. Wtg for results of holter monitor. Take metoprolol for 20 plus years and that doesn't seem to help. Am at my wits end and so frightened all the time.

• Posted

You are correct. The more I think about them the more I have. I live alone and that is some of the problem not having anyone to talk to and then having to bother people on this forum.

• Posted

i live alone and i do concentrate on them quite a lot. when i first got them i was 28 ,for months i was at the end of my tether with them trying to bring up my 3 children, i got to the point that if these are harmless i must get on with my life so have got to 74 and still active, worked until i was 60 and brought up 3 successful children , found something i loved which were chickens, rather strange , i was brought up on a farm in Wales, living outside London now. it still bothers me at times ! i take Bisoprolol.i,ve been told my heart is good,sometimes hard to believe!

• Posted

Now I see channels on YouTube saying that you can get myocarditis from the covid vaccine and that a symptom of myocarditis is palpitations. Now I have something else to worry about. Thank you for our response. When I take my blood pressure there is symbol on the reading that indicates irregular heartbeat and when I see that I get more anxious. Am in a vicious cycle.

• Edited

Rody

judging by your other posts you seem to be dismissive about the doctors belief that have substantial anxiety issues but reading your posts anxiety does seem a big factor for you..

I think it would be useful if you spent a few hours going through the many threads on this forum where you can see that some people have enormous numbers of ectopics every day year in year out and the reasons for them.

Bearing in mind that your posts seem to highlight your anxiety would it not be worth believing that it could actually really be a major cause of your problems and to spend say 3 months trying to deal with it, either by getting a new therapist if you are not happy with the one you are currently using, or go for a breathing relaxation course or one on yoga?

you will see several on line doctors mentioned who seem helpful. I am not recommending anyone as I have never used one and am not qualified to comment.

• Posted

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your reply. I just tried a new therapist - only one visit- hope I like her and that she can relate. As you know the more skipped beats you get the more anxious you get and so forth and so on. Living along doesn't help. It just gives me more time to focus on them. Whenever I feel one I go to the blood pressure monitor and the irregular heartbeat symbol show up and then I freak out. I want to get the point that I can go out with friends and have fun without waiting for one of these to occur. Because when they do I panic and start the cycle. Do you really believe that anxiety can cause this ? My ecg and stress test show them but the doctor tells me to exercise 30 minutes day. Still wtg for holter results. Please don't feel the need to respond as I can become repetitive and a bother. It's just that I am frightened all day with these. I feel as though I can use a forum friend. Have a great day.

• Posted

You strike me as being an anxious person and living alone doesn't help as you have time to dwell on matters.

Do you have any absorbing hobbies that could take your mind off things or some other way of keeping busy and thereby distract yourself from believing every skipped beat is your last one?

I dare say that if you look back at your history you might be able to find a variety of triggers which might be food, drink, or lifestyle related.

If you can identify those that would be a help. Hope you don't have a fitbit or other wearable watch as that will make you even more anxious.

I certainly think it worth checking out those online who offer relaxation, breathing courses or find a yoga teacher. What function does the therapist serve?

• Posted

I am a very anxious person. Have been diagnosed with health anxiety. Since my teen years I have worried about all symptoms - none of which have proven to be serious. However, these skipped beats drive me crazy. I took klonopin last evening and it seemed to help with the anxiety and fewer skipped beats but I do not want to take another for fear of becoming addicted. Only one every few days.

• Posted

Have you looked into taking magnesium?

It has done wonders for mine. I never get those heart notifications on my bp monitor anymore.

I take magnesium bis-glycinate at bedtime

• Posted

Thank you for responding. I have been taking magnesium citrate - 200 mg a day for about two and one-half months. Doesn't seem to help. How much do you take a day? The bp monitor scares me to death. I wish I knew the root cause of these. They say anxiety but I wonder if the skips cause the anxiety. Always frightened. Today I am afraid to go to the market.

• Posted

Did you ever get a diagnosis for your irregular beats?

• Posted

I was once told they were pvc's. That was a few years ago. I think when I get my holter results next week I will have a more definitive answer.

• Posted

I am taking 200 of the glycinate at bedtime

I do have SVT ( PAT) but i do not think that has anything to do with it.

What I would see on my bp monitor was a PAC

I truly believe that anxiety has alot to do with the flutters. I understand how hard it is.

I at one time became obsessed with taking my blood pressure...Many times a day. I just had to stop doing it. I take it in the morning and most times that's it for me. Sometimes at night if I have had an atrial tachycardia episode.

Most doctors do not care about PAC or PVC. They just say all people get the. Some feel them and others not.

When anxiety kicks it, you notice everything on in your bodyIt sucks!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.