SKIPPED BEATS AND ANXIETY

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello all,

This is probably my third post today. I'm sorry to be a pest but I am having an awful day with these skipped beats and anxiety. Have had both all day for a few weeks. Actually I have had them on and off for years. Today they are getting the best of me. I've been fighting taking a klonopin but think I might have to take one in order to calm the anxiety. I don't expect a reply just this was a way for reaching out today. Just don't understand why they won't go away. Dr. says they are from anxiety and I should see a therapist. I had a great one but she retired so I just started with a new one. Not sure that will help but I will give it a try. Thank you for listening.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am trying to re-start in knitting. Hope that works. Funny you ask, I really dont't think a therapist will help. You are correct, maybe some form of yoga or group activity would help. Thank you for your response.

• Posted

Have you ever received a diagnosis or cause of your skipped beats. I know a lot of people get them but that doesn't give me any reassurance. I am anxiously waiting for the results of my holter monitor. Get more nervous by the day. I passed the stress test but had skipped beats during it. Thank you for responding to my posts as I now feel as though I have someone to talk with.

• Posted

I have taken by blood pressure five times in the last five minutes and it always shows that irregular heartbeat symbol. This whole situation is driving me crazy. Thanks for listening.

• Posted

you urgently need to calm down. It is not normal to continually monitor your blood pressure. Your anxiety is just making things worse.

Have you had the results of your most recent holter test? Depending on the results you then need to make a plan of action. Without knowing the results I do not know what that will be.

Do ensure you question your doctor about the results and what they mean and tell them about your extreme anxiety.

• Posted

He is aware of my anxiety and has suggested that I see a psychologist which I have done for the past two weeks. I believe my anxiety is caused by the skipped beats and not anxiety causing beats. I don't seem otherwise anxious -well maybe a little-except when the beats start. Have any of you had a formal diagnosis of your irregular beats? Just curios. Thank you

• Posted

hello,

I just came across your thread recently. how are you doing now? did u get the results of the ecg monitor?

I am going through something very similar and doctors are saying it's anxiety, but I know when I have the irregular heartbeat and chest pain this causes me to be very anxious and not the other way round. I do get stresses very early and anxious but in my whole life I have never had chest pain and irregular heartbeat as anxiety symptoms. my problems started in April 2022.

I have had blood tests done and all vitamins, iron, haemoglobin, thyroid, parathyroid, kidney, cholesterol, rbc are within normal ranges. blood pressure is fine and have a bmi of 19 and I am 34 yrs old female. I don't smoke, don't drink, no drugs, not on any medication about from magnesium citrate tablets. no history of young/childhood heat problems and the only family history is my mum she is 58 yrs old and has coronary heart disease, but her symptoms started 2 yrs ago she never had any heart problems when she was younger. both paternal grandma(82 yrs old) & nan (70 yrs old) dies of a heart attack but they never had any heart problems when they were 30 to 50 years old.

I started getting sharp chest pains which would last for 1 mins, the pain was very sharp and I couldn't move, my body would go into shock and the pain would be exactly between the breasts where my heart is. I would touch the sternum and ribs but they are not tender or sore the pain is coming from the inside. it's not a muscle pain as after 1 min the pain would go and leave a dull ache in my chest and happens with no trigger this has happened 8 times since April to now the last attack was Sunday 11th September. when I call 111 and attend A&E they just check my blood pressure, quick ecg anf blood tests for troponin and send me home no referral and no explanation but one of the nurse thinks its angina (variant). however, the pain doesn't happen on exertion it happens when I am resting, standing. I have separate 3 occasions of left upper arm pain from shoulder to elbow which will come on and last for 3 days but A&E don't do anything more as they say if you have chest pain which is spreading to arms and back is more concerning of a heart attack.

whilst this has been happening for the past 1 month I been having irregular heartbeat every day throughout the day. I did have the 24hr ecg monitor on 15th July anf the results came back to gp after 4 weeks and was told I had SVE which are ectopic beats didn't specify which ones but I had 3 episodes in 24hrs. I tried explaining to the gp that I had the monitor on July but recently in the past 2 weeks I keep getting irregular heartbeats every day and throughout the day, I dont know if the rhythm has changed but what I have noticed with mine are that there is no trigger if I avoid caffeine makes no difference can happen when I am relaxed, walking, first thing when I wake up. I don't have a fast heart rate so my heart is not pounding but the feeling is like when u sit on a ride which has a big drop so like my heart sinks to my stomach and my body goes into shock anf then I have 1 or 2 thuds which go up into my throat and even below the left breast and then the rhytm goes back to normal. also it feels like my heart is forcing the blood out of my heart it really scary I have tried to ignore the irregular beats but they are happening each day. I also once for now dis have the irregular heartbeat symbol on my bp monitor and felt it happen whilst I had the cuff on. I constantly feel dizzy like I am on a boat swaying side to side and that the ground is moving like waves it's really weird. the chest pain is horrendous like I am going into a heart attack.

gp has referred me to cardiology first appointment is end of this month. I have spoken to the medical secretary if I could get seen earlier she did see my file on the nhs that I have been to A&E many times around 8 times since may 2022. the secretary said follow all our patients if there is any emergency to visit gp or A&E we cannot provide emergency appointments.

I did pay for a private echocardiogram on 23/8/2022 at harley street in london. the cardiac physiologist said all heart size and chambers are fine, no swelling, no inflammation, didn't have ectopics whilst I was having the scan which lasted 30 mins. he said there is mild trivial mitral regurgitation but this is a normal finding as your valves are healthy. if there is valve disease or moderate to severe MR that could cause irregular heartbeat, chest pain and dizziness, but bases on what he could see my heart is fine and so there is no structural problem which could explain my symptoms. he did say u need a stress test and ct scan to check coronary arteries to rule out any blockages.

I am really worried because having eventhough echo was reassuring but having an electrical problem is scary as the heartbeat is what drives the heart to pump properly and in coordinaton. I am really scared about the implications of having a irregular heartbeat could lead to I constantly worry about cardiac arrest and that I won't see my 5yrs old daughter grow up. my husband does provide support but he doesn't fully understand and there is no one in my family who has a similar issue and it's hard to be happy and have a smile everyday. my mum does not have ectopic beats she hardly is aware of her irregular hb, so she finds it difficult to understand.

keeping myself busy doesn't answer the chest pain which is still occurring and waiting for another attack to happen is running my life. all I can say is make sure u push and get all the tests relating to your heart before anyone says that all your symptoms are due to anxiety. yes being anxious and stressed can make the ectopics worst but the route cause might be something relating to the heart and not due to stress. I I had an ultrasound scan of the abdomen via nhs which was normal and so I don't have gallstones. have had 3 chest x rays vis A&E are normal, apparently did have a d dimer test once in June which was very low so doctors think it's a low chance of PE (blood clot).

I am here if you would like to talk on via messaging as I am going through this and I know it's hard. wishing you all the best. take care

• Posted

Shazma i know exactly how you feel. The doom and gloom that comes with this situation sucks. Nobody understands unless they have been through it. The last couple of days have been really crappy. I havent been able to work i just lay on the couch and sit in this pit of depression. I lived in the ER in 2018 and 19 wore s monitor for a month had multiple EKGs and all i was told that is ehh you have an irregular heart beat... Its like come on!!! You cant tell me this is normal? Is this something i hsve to suffer with mentally for the rest of my life?

I hope your ok today i just read this post and i was looking for folks that are dealing with this exact same situation. Take care and hope you all are well and ok today.

• Posted

Trust me guys I know the anxiety can be a bear to deal with. I become full blown obsessed with my heart beat when these come on. Ill go a long time without any type of hiccup and then ill have an episode and sometimes it will last for days on end.

The depression that is coupled with it is astounding. I start doing the whole well Im going to die here we go scenario every time this happens. This had been going on since 2018 so almost 5 years of dealing with it.

Ive read about supplements to take what do you guys recommend?

• Posted

I'm going through exactly the same thing right now. I had a couple of panic attacks over Christmas, my job is very stressful and i also got stranded in Germany when the flights were cancelled due to the snow and ice. This triggered my anxiety a lot. On Boxing Day i felt my heart flutter once or twice and it continued to happen. New Years Eve I wasn't well I had an infected wisdom tooth was on antibiotics. I had a bad reaction to them so had to have some others. Since then I have been experiencing heart flutters/skipped beats everyday. They appear worse at night especially when I'm truing to sleep. Some nights I work myself up to the point I have a panic attack because I'm scared I wont wake up. I went to my GP and they prescribed me Propranolol for my anxiety. I had blood tests done which came back fine. I do have an ECG booked for next week but the other night I felt that bad I went to the Urgent Care Centre. They checked me over and did an ECG which was normal. They told me to get back in touch with my GP for a 24 hour monitor. It's literally consuming my life, I constantly think that I have heart failure and that I'm going to die. I feel so tired all the time from not sleeping and my body is constantly tense. Nobody really understands how it feels, I'm always getting the it's in your mind you need to help yourself to get better. How can I convince myself otherwise when I'm feeling the physical affects?

• Posted

hi all, i know this thread is a bit old but hoping it's still alive. was wondering when people say on here that they have skipped beats 24/7

do you mean a few a day, one an hour, i a few a week!

i'm getting them every couple of minutes for 2 or 3 weeks now. there are times that there not to frequent, maybe a couple an hour for a while. but most of the time it's every few minutes.

would be grateful to see if i'm not the only one having them quite often every day.

thanking you in advance for your help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.