skipped heartbeats, please can I have some help :(

Posted , 33 users are following.

Hi I'm an 18 year old male, yesterday I suffered what felt like a series of skipped heartbeats followed by a rapid pulse. I ended up calling an ambulance, the paramedic took me to A&E and they caught quite a few 'ectopic beats'. they tested my blood and gave me a chest xray and they said that everything was alright. I went home, and I continued to have them on and off. I eneded up going back to hospital and they did same thing, ecg and bloods then sent me home. they just told me that i'm seeing a cardiologist soon and having an ultrasound of my heart. How am I meant to live like this?? they feel horrible, my whole body jolts when I have them and they give me a horrible feeling that makes me cough. I can't do anything, can't relax or do any basic daily things. I'm so worried these are going to ruin my life or even worse; kill me. I have had 3 whilst typing this up. After every ectopic I feel I'm convinced that my heart is going to stop. 

I'm going crazy, what caused them? I hardly ever drink, don't consume any caffeine, don't smoke and I have a healthy diet accompanied by plenty of exercise. 

I have lost 3 stone intentionally, I don't know if this is related?

Additional info: I'm on 1.25mg of bisoprolol because i used to get a rapid pulse, but I never used to get irregular hearybeats. 

Someone please talk to me, I can't even think straight, I'm just worried about the next ectopic beat sad 

p.s. are there any dietry triggers? apart from caffeine? i.e. chocolate or sugary things? 

3 likes, 66 replies

66 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've been having heart palpitations/skipped heartbeats for about 2 and a half years now. I am only 22 years old and this is one of the scariest things that's ever happened to me. The first episode of my palpitations began on a normal summer day when I had been very anxious and my heart went out of rhythm for about 5 minutes. I couldn't count the beats and my heart was racing up down up down up down I thought that was the end of me. My heart finally began beating normally again and I was able to calm down and forget about it. Over the course of the past few months they've gotten worse. I've noticed them skipping at the gym, while lying on the couch, or even out at the bar -  random episodes throughout the day. I feel so scared that my left arm even gets numb and it makes me think I am going to pass out and die (probably physcosomatic). I get so anxious that I make myself believe I am having a heart attack. I even feel the symptoms. I had an EKG and Echocardiogram and both came back healthy. Today I was working out and had another series of skipped beats. I panicked I was so scared. 5-10 seconds of skipped beats. Each one in between my normal post-workout heartbeat. Does anyone know if skipped beats effect the hearts ability to pump blood? Does anyone know what the chances are of a fatal incident during these skipped beats? It's all I can focus on and it's taking over my life I am so afraid on a daily basis and feel like no one understands me. I ask my friends and none of them experience palpitations like I do, some have never had any! I just want to live a normal life and not be constantly afraid of being rushed to the hospital. I still feel new to all of this. Can anyone make me feel better and back it up with research and personal experience?  Could really use support. 

• Posted

Hello .. J Goodman ..

I under and sympathize with you and the dismay... however.....in this discussion.. no mention of a simple action to ease off and stop the uncomfortable ectopic .. Especially at the onset where it starts to become bothersome...

Valsalva manoeuvre....

Google it or check out youtube... it does not stem.the root cause of the palpitations but works to instantly relieve unbearable ectopic s.......

Try it ....

• Posted

Hi Linda 93786 just sitting here reading your message after having my missed beats since 4pm today , just going off it’s now 10pm . Iam 64 next month 65 , since I was in my twenty’s I’ve began to get missed beats as I lay in bed at night wondering what the hell they was, I felt like I had to cough to get rid of the feeling. When I was preganant with my youngest at 30 I had then more and more,  by the time I gave birth I was getting them during the day, especially when I went to bed, never sleeped  for weeks, in the end one night my husband call for ambulance ,I thought I was going to have a heart attack, my left arm was numb and pin needles in my hand, A&E gave me all the tests, referred me to cardiologist at Barts, he told me that it was not dangerous and prescribed Flexinide , which did help with them, but then my doctor got in touch and said they were causing heart attacks, so took me off them,  I felt like I was going mad; I had five children between 1yr-11yrs , I was stressed out everyday, which in turned brought on extra beats....after years of going back and forth to Barts and getting told they wasn’t dangerous, , I still couldn’t except it, because you think know one understands how you feel, there was no sites like this to talk and read other people were in the same boat, 

Ive also suffered with racing’s heart quiet a few times in my 30odd years of this, so they tried to give me an ablation, but couldn’t trigger the palpations , so that didn’t work, but I did start to think , you know what Iam going to just try to not let them get to me, and try to keep calm, it has help mentally ...but just lately I’ve been suffering again , but I have had my mum and dad come to live with me 90/93 not in the best of health so it’s hard work, hence I must admit stress has brought them on again.

ive was told by the Proff at Barts once when I get them , run up and down the stairs, that’s what he used to do....so it’s  not just us that suffers with them , doctors do too...

i hope my story might help all you people like me that are suffering...Iam still here to tell the tale, Iam hoping the docs are right because I really want to see my grandkids grown up ...good luck all x

• Posted

Hello,I’m a 31 year old male.I have started having these skiped heartbeats .started out every now and then now they are every day almost and takes my breath away.I ve been to the E.R 5 or 6 times I thought I was dying. I’ve had the chest X-rays,blood work,ekgs,stress test,echo and wore a monitor for 24hrs and they tell me nothing is wrong with me.Its driving me crazy and worrying me.My dr is giving me a monitor to wear for 30 days now. Can anyone tell me something.
    • Posted

Hi.

I know it's very scary as I have suffered since the age of 30 with them. I am now 66 and still.still have them. I am.on beta blockers which has helped and I take magnesium which is really good. I get them.very rarely now. Once you have the tests please try and believe the Drs. I know it's hard as it took me a long time to get to that stage. Trust me you will be okay . Take care. Ann

• Posted

Hi,Thanks for replying .my dr told to me yesterday not to worry.I have tried not to then I get one that takes my breath away and that just gets me worked up again.Im a truck driver I haven’t been to work 2 months because I’m scared of driving over the road like that
  • Posted

You can make them stop!!!!

I had same problems since i was 21. But after 4-5 years i got rid of the problem. Just go to gym 45 min - 60 min 3 times a week. Do intensive trainings, dont train like a b***h because it wont help (ofc if you have clean bill of health which 99% of us that have palps do) They will go away in a week if you are in good shape if not after a little longer like 10-20 days . Also avoid gluten for a few days to test if it gets better and if not try the same with diary. If you notice diary is the problem try organic milk. If organic milk also gives you the palps just exclude it from diet.

My personal experience is that i was very active as a kid so when i stopped being so active they came along. Doctors always said everything is super healthy and that i have very strong heart so i have nothing to worry about but everytime i stopped with my activities palpitations came back after year or two. So my advice is to you is to get yourself to gym and do aome heavy lifting. You will look better feel better and palps will be history. (This is only for the skinny guys that have no weight problems though)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.